The Sewing Place

Finally - my new sewing room kitted out and in use

Ploshkin

Re: Finally - my new sewing room
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2021, 13:54:17 PM »
@Celia my plan from the outset was to have a 24" rigid heddle and I only got my 10" because I got impatient and didn't have any space.  I have been eyeing up table looms as well so not sure now.
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2021, 15:16:18 PM »
@Ploshkin its only one step from table loom to floor :devil:   

No seriously I have 2 ridged heddle looms and a table 4 shaft and I like them all, my 4 shaft table is an Erica by Louet which I love but I think I might really love a larger  Jane by Louet. The movement’s involved in the rigid heddle and table looms are quite different and worth thinking about.  If I had room …………

Ploshkin

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2021, 15:24:31 PM »
@Celia I need to do a bit more weaving!  I very much like the textured weaves that you can do on a rigid heddle.  I'm less interested in coloured patterns  and need to learn more about what a shaft loom will do.

justpottering

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2021, 13:56:24 PM »
Gosh Plosh that's wonderful!

You could hold sewing groups/retreats in there, is the TSP bus available this weekend? anyone know? I can be ready at short notice!  :P

:perfect10: and then some  :loveit:
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Iminei

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2021, 14:32:01 PM »
The TSP Charabanc will be calling at all ports from Kenora upwards ... book your seat ... All Aboard the Skylark!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

Re: Finally - my new sewing room kitted out and in use
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2021, 10:04:16 AM »
Gosh, it's 6 weeks since I took that first picture.  My sewing room has been kitted out and in use for about 3 weeks now but I wanted to wait until I had done the curtains before I took any pictures.  It is a complete indulgence but I love, love, love it.  It's a gorgeous, bright room and I hadn't realised that being higher up would amplify the sound of the river - so a lovely peaceful accompaniment to sewing.  It has windows on 3 sides so I've got a good view all over the yard and can see and hear arrivals.  I'm pleased with my choice of lights (3 clusters of 3 LED spots) which give a great, almost shadowless light.  A great bonus I've found is that with all the space I don't lose anything because things don't end up on top of each other. I'm just on my last pair of curtains (the 8th) and I'm looking forward to making something that isn't a curtain.  It has been just brilliant having my Horn cutting table out without having to move furniture and I can move it around and get all round it.  It's had more use in the last 3 weeks than in the 10 years since I bought it.  I haven't kitted out the second cupboard yet but will probably put in a shelf unit like the bigger one.  There will be a bigger loom appearing before too long.
Here it is:
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Here

Silver Rose

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2021, 10:11:42 AM »
What an excellent room to work in, no wonder you love it so much. Enjoy it.
Still learning

Celia

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2021, 10:13:37 AM »
That is lovely can’t wait to see the new loom, I am into making kitchen towels at the moment, do you know which loom you are going for?

Iminei

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2021, 10:16:23 AM »
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much space,  :faints:  not that Im envious at all !
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2021, 10:19:58 AM »
Beautiful, light and spacious.  Much envy here!
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

maliw

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2021, 10:22:43 AM »
Love it, still very tidy though, must be all those cupboards. Enjoy. :thumbsup:
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Sewingsue

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2021, 10:47:36 AM »
Wow, Plosh, that is a superb room (looks as big as some of the USA ones that we drool over).
Plus windows over the estate and the sound of the river.

Jealous? Moi? You bet I am, but you deserve it.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Elnnina

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2021, 11:01:16 AM »
Now that is what I call a sewing room, absolutely beautiful and so well thought out - if only we could all have a room like that.  I an so envious of you being able to have your cutting out table up and in place all the time if you want to, also the ironing board.  I have to move my cutting out table to a space where I can actually open it up and actually use this, but first I have to clear the fabric stored on the top and empty the cupboards to lighten it so I can move it by myself - my  husband helped once and yanked at one of the flaps and then forced it down when the supporting door wasn't back flush with the cupboard resulting in a buckled hinge which made a bump in the top cutting out surface.  We had quite a job changing over to a new hinge as over the years Horn have changed these hinges, but all is well now and I find it better and less chance to move it by myself.  Now just enjoy all the time you are going to spend in your lovely room.

Ellabella

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2021, 11:08:56 AM »
Oh all that natural light, enjoy!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2021, 11:19:35 AM »
Oh that's just lovely!
Enjoy sewing in there :-)