The Sewing Place

Beginner trying to understand a Burda pattern...

Bumblebuncher

Re: Beginner trying to understand a Burda pattern...
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2021, 09:22:05 AM »
Also, check around for cheaper places! I notice you are in North East, Immanuel's in Burnley is an Aladdin's cave of cheap, good quality fabrics! Also you have Abakhan up there, I know there is one in Bolton.
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ellabella

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2021, 15:38:31 PM »
@Andymat roughly where are you in the North East?

Have you tried Fabworks in Dewsbury?

There are often fabric stalls in local markets, I think the wonderful Immanuels have a stall at South Shields and it is always worth looking in Boyes, there should be one near you if you are in the NE.

For your first attempts you are probably better using a cheaper fabric rather than trying to skimp on a more expensive one.

b15erk

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2021, 15:52:22 PM »
@Andymat , hope I'm not repeating what someone else has said, but a good source of fabric for a practise garment (toile, muslin), is old duvet covers and sheets from charity shops.  You should then get a proper idea of techniques, and sizing.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2021, 15:56:53 PM »
5metres? Get yourself some tent poles and then you can use the thing to go camping! Sounds a ridiculous amount of fabric unless you are  extremely tall and very broad.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

CCL

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 19:16:33 PM »
When I trace a pattern (I just use artist tracing paper which I get by the roll), I do the grainline marking first.  That way, I can use the grainline as a way to make sure that my tracing remains lined up with the original pattern piece as I do all the rest of the tracing.
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

Andymat

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2021, 19:47:44 PM »
Thank you every one for your thoughts and help. It has all been very useful.  :)

I have been a bit delayed by the idea of tracing the pattern - as it makes a lot of sense. I have some A2 layout paper which I have been using as it is quite thin but I have also seen you can get rolls of tracing paper in the internet which not only would be more transparent but also I wouldn’t have to stick several sheets together for most of the sections! Starting with the grain line is a very good idea @CCL.

I also found that Burda themselves sell sheets of paper just for this purpose (I guess) that are over 1m in size and should be big enough.

Still, I am getting there, gradually, as the only area I can do it is on the dining room table that we use for all meals so I have to clear everything away when we eat.

Good thought about using towels although the grain might not be in my favour.

I have also ordered some more bobbins as I am struggling. My mum used to put several colours over the top of each other on one bobbin as she had so few and I just think I need to fill a bobbin and dedicate it’s use with that thread. Life is too short!

I may be some time with this project as I have 100 other things I am trying to do at the same time but I will let you all know how I’m getting on occasionally.  Once I have the material and the pattern pieces cut out it should not take too long (he says hopefully)! And of course, if it’s not a complete disaster I will show you how it turned out.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2021, 23:31:21 PM »
@Andymat  Quite right about the bobbins.  A bobbin half full of other colours won't hold enough for a big project.  I always keep one of white and one black so I'm ready for the odd repair jobs.
If it turns out a disaster, still post here. Someone may be able to help rescue it. Bet it won't be though!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 06:07:32 AM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 19:45:18 PM »
https://www.empressmills.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/5103/s/dressmakers-pattern-paper-plain-1-x-10m-prym/category/2/

or

https://www.empressmills.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/5527/s/dressmakers-pattern-paper-gridded-1-x-10m-prym/category/2/

are good stable solutions for tracing patterns.

This kind of thing is good for adding seam allowances or increasing/decreasing seam allowances as needed.  Also great for precision pattern drafting:

https://www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/p/82638/pattern-making-equipment/mw/economy-grading-triangle

MacCulloch & Wallis also do French curves in various configurations - these are handy for adjusting armscyes (sleeve holes) and getting smooth curves elsewhere.

Andymat

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2021, 13:27:21 PM »
Well, it is finally finished - See pictures.

Thank you @Kad - I did layout the pattern pieces on the floor to work out properly how much material I needed and it was very useful. This showed me that I needed 3.5m of material at 1.6m wide. But, the towelling I had in mind could only be sold in half OR one meter increments so I had to buy 7 lots of 0.5m or 4 lots of 1m and as the price for 0.5m was more pro rata, the price went up again together with a large amount for postage!

In the end I bought 4 bath sheets from IKEA (SALVIKEN) which were 1m x 1.4m each for £10 each which was not only cheaper than the towelling material but thicker (500GSM) and has towelling on one side and a waffle pattern on the other - lovely material. Thank you to @Sewbusy who suggested using towels instead of material. I went for Dark Beige colour and picked them up from our local shop (Gateshead).

Further, I used the edging of the towels to make the tie loops - the pattern said to make loops with several thread lengths and to cover using a button hole stitch knot which didn't seem to be so professional to me. I also cut down the washing info label and sewed it into the seam to remind us how to wash it. And I am also thinking of adding a hanging loop to the collar area using the loop provided with the towels - although the robe is pretty heavy.

Making it was a reasonable amount of work but as the pattern says it is super easy, so I can't complain. I did however have to look up what it meant by basting. Everything was basted and then sewed. I thought basting was something you did when roasting turkeys at Christmas! I did mostly baste the parts together but sewed direct from pinned in some easier cases. I'm sure I never saw my mum basting - she always sewed pinned pieces.

I am very pleased with how it turned out although it was a bit tricky sewing on the double layered hood to the body and the facings. 4 layers of material that I had to squash down with an iron to get it under the presser foot, even with the extra lift of the foot. The robe is really warm and the hood is lovely being two thicknesses but is huge and if I made it again, I might not do the version with the hood.

The material is actually two pieces connected together - it actually starts to come apart at the edges if it is left raw. The other thing about it is that the waffle side is quite easy to snag and I had to be careful when cutting out as the towels had several places where they were a bit damaged that I had to avoid. But I love the material and the finish - it seems like a bit of a step up from just towelling both sides.

Thanks to everyone who has offered help - it has all been very useful!

Ellabella

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2021, 13:52:22 PM »
@Andymat that looks really good.  Waffle outer and towelling inner looks very good.  You should be very pleased with yourself.

What’s next on the cutting table?

Andymat

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2021, 15:43:03 PM »
Thanks @Ellabella, I am quite proud of it.

I am thinking about an apron. Have designed a simple one with pockets and have some light coloured Canvas type material. Will also have to work out what to do with all the towelling offcuts. Can you do quilts with towelling?!

I might even need to clean the sewing machine!!

Ellabella

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2021, 15:55:27 PM »
Definitely clean the sewing machine.

If you are going to make an apron you could use some  of the towelling as a hand wipe panel, very useful.

StitchinTime

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2021, 16:13:14 PM »
The robe looks great and the fabric is gorgeous.

With the off cuts, what about some reusable make up remover pads or some reusable kitchen roll squares? There are plenty of tutorials out there for them. You wouldn't even need a separate lining fabric as you could split your fabric into the waffle and towelling layers.

Sewingsue

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2021, 17:47:33 PM »
That does look good and the fabric looks much posher than just buying towelling yardage.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

dolcevita

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2021, 19:29:11 PM »
A very nice bit of corner reinforcement at the top of the pockets - not the easiest thing to do well. Good work!