The Sewing Place

My little sewing area

Bumblebuncher

My little sewing area
« on: July 16, 2021, 12:04:35 PM »
When we moved nearly three years ago from a three bedroom to two, I had 20 years of vintage sewing machines, stash and a big double bedroom as my sewing room to deal with!
I had to whittle it all down to a single bedroom that would also be used by my grandsons when they come to stay.  I gave fabric to the local pantomime as well as loads of lace and braids etc.  Gave the hand cranks to charity and brought as little as I could get away with into the new house.
In the old place I had a beautiful, huge wooden dresser that ended up going to a friends, too much wood meant space I needed for stash.  I replaced that with the wire shelving bought from Amazon, some face the sewing area, some open to the bunk beds and has the kids bits on.  Fabric drawers then held the fabric.
When I first attempted to sew in the new house I couldn't find things easily, so we then got the first Ikea pegboard. It now has needles and pins in pots, scissors available and every other small thing either in a pot or on a shelf.  Everything to hand when i need it  :D
I had kept the old sewing cabinet which houses the 411g, which I have now got Nina on and overlocker sits nicely in the cupboard. I used to have a huge table with machine and overlocker always set up but I am now glad I kept the cabinet as it has proved really useful.
This week's delivery included the fold down table, it goes away neatly when  not in use, making room for the boys when they stay, and the tabletop ironing board that hangs on the door when idle.
I also got another pegboard and the last 'bits' are now up on the wall too.
Then a 9 drawer cabinet that sits nicely next to the fabric drawers that holds patterns, trims and fastenings like zippers.
And a VERY comfy chair  :D
Although I do sometimes pine for the big room, I am really pleased with how such a small space has been so easy to work in  :D I have even been able to cut out on the fold down table!
BB

As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

b15erk

Re: My little sewing area
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 12:12:34 PM »
That looks like a beautifully organised space @Bumblebuncher !  You can come and organise mine anytime you like.

Your chair looks very comfy, <3  I hope the new one I've ordered is the same.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 12:20:39 PM »
I remember seeing Manuela's  sewing space @Bumblebuncher , more or less a piece of wall in a hallway, and feeling quite ashamed.  As my mother used to say, you cut according to your cloth and works for sewing rooms as well.

I think I will have that chair please, that does look very comfy.  Small is beautiful, larger and you get untidy.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 12:22:30 PM »
Looks really well organised @Bumblebuncher. I guess us sewists could sew in any space if we had to. 

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 12:59:16 PM »
Youve done a good job there @Bumblebuncher   Now I'm moving my stuff upstairs to my new room I'm staggered by how much I had managed to pack into the small bedroom which had to house guests too.  I'm discovering all manner of bits poked in crevices between furniture that I had forgotten about.  As you say, we make the best use of the available space .
Life's too short for ironing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 14:02:20 PM »
Thank you all  :D
The chair is extremely comfortable and I keep finding myself in the room just sitting and looking lol
I am slightly uncomfortable being called 'organised', I assure you I am not  :laughing:
However, my grandsons are known for getting into things when they aren't being watched closely so I had to make sure everything was as out of the way as possible  >:)
DH is pleased with himself too, he managed to put the things together without my help which was a big deal for him.  He couldn't have done it a year ago and just shows him how he is improving after his brain injury.
Onwards and upwards as they say  :D
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."