The Sewing Place

Testing patterns

sewminds

Testing patterns
« on: July 20, 2021, 04:49:27 AM »
 Hey all!

In the yarn world, I have no trouble finding patterns to test, I just go to one site that's worldwide, but wondering how you ladies find out about them for sewing? Or do you have to wait until you're approached?
My specific interests would be kiddy clothes, softies, bags/wallets.

I need to rely on emails or forums because joining FB, Insta etc are all taboo in this household so I can never comment to register interest if someone's account is public. Private accounts are obv no go cos I can't see things. ;)

Some times I just find the pressure from responsibility to someone else gets things produced a darn sight quicker.  0_0

eta, Mods, if this is in the wrong spot, feel free to move..just mention me so I know where to look. ;)

Sew it needs juice!

b15erk

Re: Testing patterns
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 12:25:36 PM »
I too have seen lots of knitters asking for pattern testers, even handbag makers, but I've never (to my knowledge) seen anyone ask for people to test sewing patterns for garments.

I do think FB and Instagram would be a good way in, but maybe Independent sewing blogs may be a way in?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

sewminds

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 07:34:58 AM »
@b15erk Thanks Jessie!

I'm about to join in an email 'along' so will see how that goes for starters. If it pans out okay I might try some searches in blogs etc. I guess I could approach some designers by email who post publicly on FB and Insta if they have that info in their bio with contact details.... trouble is, most require you to have an account on the same platform for all that linking exposure.  :\

Sew it needs juice!

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 08:24:39 AM »
@sewminds Having never heard of testing patterns I looked on the good ol' internet (lost the actual article and it was late so don't have a link).
They said that sewing pattern testers had to apply to many, many companies and/or independants before being accepted.  She had applied to over 35! It would appear to be a much more formal affair than for knitting.
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 08:35:17 AM »
They do tend to have their own online pals and do reciprocal "testing" for one another. I've yet to see any pattern "tester" do anything except rave about the pattern. There is probably some behind the scenes testing that goes on before the pattern ever sees the light of day, like seeing if the instructions make sense.

I was approached by one pattern designer several years ago on another forum after saying some favorable things about a couple of her patterns. She offered me my choice of pdf pattern free if I promised make it up and to write about it. She said she just wanted my honest feedback. I'm so slow and knew I wouldn't get to it in a timely fashion so declined.

Unless you're prominent on Instagram or have a popular blog they don't seem to be interested.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

sewminds

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 06:16:42 AM »
@Bumblebuncher Just did a quick search ...think I found the one you might have been referring to too..some want folk now and a couple seem to be just starting out with only a design or two at this point...and not my cup of tea but everyone has to start somewhere..so I hope those designers do get assistance.

Not that I'm chasing adult garments, but there was a shout out for a really nice blazer but I don't have the funds for adult sized quality fabric at the moment. This one I would have definitely tried for because I had a fave blazer almost exactly the same when I was 16. Loved the cut.

I think I probably need to be choosier than I was with the yarny testing because some months I didn't come up for air with the amount I had on. I don't want to fall into that trap again.

As you say, many do like the Insta etc so maybe that will also help keep things under control my end.  ;)
Sew it needs juice!

sewminds

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 06:48:18 AM »
@Renegade Sewist  Oh I hear you and unfortunately familiarity with a designer's style can allow problem spots to be missed or glossed over..as in 'I know what she meant to write'. I've seen this too often in the yarny arena. Others don't want to offend so don't report oopsies, others just make it without looking at it from a newbies point of view, some designers won't make alterations, they just want finished items on display. It can become a minefield..oh and there's always the testers who ghost after receiving the pattern too.

I'm in a yarny test at the moment and the girls have been 'brutal' over fit.. things were far far too loose. With a few ladies speaking up, it made the designer go back over things to try to work out what was going wrong. This was designer overlook of gauge when copy/pasting from another design to speed up the writing process... I might add that her patterns are very good and there was a lot of head scratching going on from all parties trying to work out why this one was a problem. An easy fix on paper, a lot of hours lost for testers but this pattern will get glowing reports when published because it has been properly tested.

The best tests(no matter the discipline) are when a designer takes on a couple of testers from each category, known testers they've worked with before and happy with because they are 'brutal' and would still have a cuppa and chat with, absolute novices and a couple of intermediate.

Just to clarify, when I say brutal I mean it in the nicest way, just that everything, down to spacing between words and missing letters/punctuation erros get reported, so formatting issues as well. ;)

Sew it needs juice!

Missie

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 12:09:30 PM »
I have seen a couple of requests for pattern testers and these have come either by signing up to designer's new letters or following them on social media.

sewminds

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 00:36:43 AM »
@Missie I'm going through a cull/subscribe moment...unsubscribe from quite a few then join one...repeat...

I think I've reached the 7 year itch on rav...finally know some of what I'd love to make won't darn well suit me anyway(and tastes change) so culling from there and now, being extra hard on myself and bookmarking more sewing blogs than joining, then for the ones I keep going back to, they're the ones I'll probably subscribe to.
'
My email is a nightmare and really needs paring down cos I've stored so much 'W--k' (as Fran would say). I'm talking myself out of it! Think I might just wait to see what presents itself to me down the track as opposed to actively seeking it out. At least I know roughly where to look now.
Sew it needs juice!

Missie

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 12:50:22 PM »
@sewminds   I feel your pain.  I decided to cull the photographs on my phone at the weekend; 1400 later and I was done (no idea how long it took though),  I don't even want to think about my emails, but I know I have to do it as I have signed up to loads of things and I barely use my email these days!!!!!

sewminds

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 01:49:38 AM »
@Missie Oh heck... aLOT but a great achievement!  :thumbsup:

With the emails, I said to myself...'Self..if you're just going to delete or store without actually reading them...why are you still getting them?'

So now, I have to mentally force myself to open and unsubscribe because the muscle memory has me clicking the trash can straight away.
Sew it needs juice!