The Sewing Place

Skirt with unpressed pleats

Silver Rose

Skirt with unpressed pleats
« on: July 21, 2021, 07:12:55 AM »
I cut out this skirt from McCall's 7714 dress pattern    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  I am making it with this cotton lawn  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
It is a lovely light and soft silk-like cotton  just right for soft pleats. There are a lot of tailor tacks to mark all the pleats but this is the third time I have made the skirt so I'll sit quietly sometime and do them.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 07:20:50 AM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Bumblebuncher

Re: Skirt with unpressed pleats
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 08:21:20 AM »
@Silver Rose I looked at that and said very out loud..
'Oooh nice', then looked around and saw the cats looking at me as if I had lost the plot  :[
So yeah, looking forward to seeing that finished  :|
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Missie

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 11:15:56 AM »
I love a skirt with unpressed pleats.  That will be lovely when it is done.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 11:47:49 AM »
So much easier than pressed pleats!   And I like the fabric.  Had some in that pattern myself.  I love a nice fine cotton. 

dolcevita

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 16:52:41 PM »
Lovely pattern. And I have pj's in that fabric so, of course, I think it's lovely!

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 09:42:10 AM »
I've just sewn 32 tailors tacks on my skirt to mark the pleats  :angel:  they are sewn down 6" from the waist to form the box pleats. Have I got a navy zip?  Better have a delve into my habby box and find some navy bias binding as well for the waist facing. Oops, getting ahead of myself.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 18:54:51 PM »
Side seams and pleats all sewn, I've got a suitable zip and bias binding so if we get the rain as promised i'll be getting on with my skirt.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 07:25:19 AM »
All being well the zip should go in today then just the waist facing and hem to do. I am speeding up these days.
Still learning

jen

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 08:40:04 AM »
It’s going to be lovely!

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 09:00:10 AM »
@Silver Rose , it's going to be lovely!  Your fabric is beautiful.

Lovely to hear you talking so casually about pleats - they terrify me!   :scream:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 09:12:19 AM »
Thanks @jen and @b15erk I took time to do all the tailor tacks and very carefully pin and tack the pleats into place, I found it easier third time round. Today I'll finish the facing and the hem.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 07:38:23 AM »
All done and waiting for a final press then into the wardrobe. I put out a lot of clothes in a charity bag which was collected yesterday so there is plenty of room in my wardrobes now.
Still learning

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 10:36:49 AM »
We appear to missing the photos of this...  :P

Silver Rose

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 15:09:26 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper  I forgot all about a photo of me wearing it but I have one of it on a hanger.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    sorry if it is a bit blurred.
I finished the apron made from leftover poppy fabric, not sure what I will make next.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 15:15:21 PM »
That looks lovely  0_0