The Sewing Place

seeking advice/opinions

justpottering

seeking advice/opinions
« on: July 21, 2021, 14:08:47 PM »
from all you amazing folk

My sewing room has a door and window close together. I sew in the corner opposite to both. I would like to sew nearer the window, and buy a L-shaped desk so that I can have sewing machine on one part and my overlocker on the other (I get fed up of moving one to pull forward the other)
Anyhoo, DH has offered to get a man in to change the wall so that the door is on the opposite end (this is how the room opposite my sewing room is laid out, not sure why this one isn't) my question is:

What is your experience of sewing near/in front of windows, does the light have an impact? The room gets shade in the morning and sun in the afternoon and evening.

I like the idea of looking out at the garden and beyond, but am I just being a misty eyed romantic when the reality is that it will be too bright/dark/hot/cold etc...Thought I would ask before getting a man in and spending some dosh on the wall alterations.
TIA

JP
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

fajita

Re: seeking advice/opinions
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 14:21:54 PM »
My machines are end on to the windows. This is good for light (

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 14:27:59 PM »
Good Questions JP ... Anybody have any experience ??????

I too would like to sew in anything but under the gloaming lights of my dining room, North Facing set back from a narrow yard which means you come down in the morning and turn the lights on.

Ive had experience if sewing under a skylight which rendered me incompetent because of the angle and brightness of the light  .. I suppose you get used to the conditions you have !
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 14:33:48 PM »
I sew in a small bedroom with a North facing window. My machine directly between the window and the corner of the room.
It is dark and I always have to have a light on. Were the machine in front of the window it would block out all the light
Triumph of hope over experience :D

justpottering

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 15:04:57 PM »
I have a daylight lamp on my sewing desk which I must say is wonderful so light not really a problem it’s more about using the space better a bigger desk etc and like @fajita i like the idea of spyingwatching the happenings in the garden and beyond

I think I saw someone mention once about light from the window made it difficult to see properly I also wonder about light damage to the casing of the machine although I cover it when not in use
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 15:06:58 PM »
When I first set up my sewing room, I had a long worktop under the window - big mistake, had to take it all apart and move it to a side wall.  I just couldn't see what I was sewing with the light at the back.

So, no, don't put a machine in front of a window!

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 15:12:08 PM »
I sewing in the dining room with the window behind me. My eyes are not as good as they might be so good daylight really helps.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 15:18:12 PM »
Pick a room with a window facing the same direction and put a chair in it simulating where the sewing chair would be. Sit in in morning,  noon and evening. That'll give you your answer regarding light during high summer. Mentally do the needed adjustments for other seasons.

Sewing with a back-lit machine is like anything else. If it's really bright you can't see details unless you have equally bright lights turned on behind you. Heat and cold can be a real concern depending on your local weather, time of year, insulation in the room and if you have double pane windows. Since it's new construction (right?) you likely have double glazed windows which will help.

The spot I'm working on setting up is directly in front of a west facing window. It's single pane glass and in winter that spot is colder than the proverbial witch's anatomy. In summer it's reminiscent of Hades. My bedroom has 3 exterior walls due to design with this large window and a large sliding glass door on an adjacent wall. I know it's hotter or colder seasonally then the rest of the house but now I have an instant read thermometer that measures surfaces and space I learned just how much. Our recent heat wave it was 111 outside, thermostat at 78 but struggling to keep the house at 80. In my room it was 89-90. By the window in the afternoon it was 94. My bed was still 89 at midnight. It was almost impossible to sleep in there and I can't imagine sewing with an iron plugged in.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

mudcat

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 15:19:41 PM »
My machine is in front of a window (north facing) however I never open the curtains.  The window faces the street so it's not exactly a compelling view.  And with it being Arizona opening them would end up being too bright.  Since my eyes are sensitive to light I tend to keep my house pretty dim most of the time. Aside from that I don't like people being able to see into my house so I never open the window coverings on the north side.

My sewing room curtains aren't sheer but they are relatively light weight so some light does come through. My feelings are neutral about it.  I didn't put the sewing machine there because of the window but rather because it's the longer part of my L shaped table and it made more sense to have that extra space for sewing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 15:21:52 PM »
Light will discolor the casing. My overlocker is hideous now from being exposed in a west facing window. It was partially covered. Also light exposure damaged the thread cones that were on it. They are crumbling which surprised me.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Kad

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 15:25:03 PM »
I too would not place my sewing space infront of any window, but rather at 90° to one preferably with a window/door at the other side to allow for a current of air to waft past you.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 17:58:19 PM »
I'm in a North facing room with two five foot windows @justpottering .  I have always sewn facing the wall on the opposite side.  Admittedly the windows are not at eye level but even if they were I wouldn't go for that side of the room.  It's probably how you feel best but with having a decent daylight lamp I always have a good light.  The straight stitch machine I have is also facing a wall.  For me it's probably for concentration and not being distracted.

Furniture, I prefer collapsible, easy to shift if I have to (decorating made easier). I do have a corner desk on the other end of the  room with one piece cutting out and the other computer stuff.  That is going next year, too cumbersome, can't get behind it easily.  Being replaced with a proper foldable cutting out table. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 20:05:21 PM »
It's good ergonomics to have the long axis of your workstation perpendicular to the window.  If you are facing the window you get glare and if your back is to it you're working in your own shadow. 

I agree with all the comments about sun damage to plastics.  If you want to keep your machine on the table permanently make a lightproof cover (something as simple as a blackout lining, case-shaped sleeve will do it) and throw that over the machine before you walk away.

twopence

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 20:06:34 PM »
All being well with our move, the window of my sewing room should face north north west so it should get good light and not have the sun shining in.  As I have a Horn cabinet so I will be able to move it to find the best place for the light.  Artists like north facing windows to paint so I'm hoping that it should be good.  I also have a good standing daylight lamp that I currently use as my cabinet is against a wall.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 20:37:26 PM by twopence »

Helen M

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 20:25:14 PM »
The window on my sewing room faces NNE so gets sun in the morning and has gone round by 11 am. I don't usually sew before then. I have tables at 90degrees on both walls and prefer the needle end of the machine to be nearer the window. I find this way when I sew later in the day the light is still good. I always close the curtains every night so not a problem with the machines which are always covered when not in use.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72