The Sewing Place

seeking advice/opinions

Ohsewsimple

Re: seeking advice/opinions
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 21:19:51 PM »
My room is SSW facing.  Used to have one on the opposite side of the house which was darker,  colder and not so pleasant to sew in.  I have my bench at right angles to the window.  Can’t sew and look out anyway as it’s too high for that.  I can when I'm stood at my cutting table.  I have 2 lights over the bench for when the light is bad. 

I had a white roller blind put in right from the start.  It keeps the room light when it’s down and stops the machines from going discoloured as it’s only ever up when I’m in there. 

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 08:51:06 AM »
The back of my sewing room/office faces east, and is cool in the morning, the other end faces west and gets very hot.

I have corner desks at both ends, east for the office, and west for sewing.  I have voiles at the office end which I draw if the sun is too bright, and vertical blinds at the other end, which are easily adjusted.

At the sewing end, I have two corner tables butted together along the window, and it works perfectly for me.  I have my O/L and Pfaff sewing machine to one side, and the Pfaff combi on the other.  This gives me the opportunity to swap from O/L to SM without leaving my seat.

The lovely light is an advantage to me as my eyes aren't great.  I also have a couple of other machines I can use on the side wall.

I have to say, I find a corner desk/table far more useful for me, than a straight one, as they are deeper at the back.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 10:22:37 AM »
I agree with others that the window should be to the side of your machines, not in front of or behind them.  Artists (in the northern hemisphere) like north facing windows because the sun won't shine in directly and cause harsh shadows.  The same applies to anything else, so if you have the luxury of choosing window direction go for north facing, but if not ...

My sewing room upstairs has a north west facing window but it's wide and high up so it's not a problem, but the study, which also has a sewing machine in it, is directly underneath and that window comes lower down and sometimes in late afternoon I need to draw one of the curtains to stop the glare.

No textiles should be stored in direct sunlight - and that includes reels of thread.

This is my lockdown rainbow which was in another SW facing window from April-November and I think you can see just how much it faded in that time, but worse, the fibres will have been weakened.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 11:04:40 AM »
Quite a difference in the colour @BrendaP.  I made the error of leaving a piece of silk on my table once for a week.  No sun, just daylight hitting it.  Big mistake I won’t make again! 

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2021, 11:10:18 AM »
I agree about the fading, it's significant.

The sun is the reason I'm having to replace the carpet downstairs.  The dining room which is in the shade, is perfect, even though it's old, but in the snug next door - same carpet, it is threadbare.  Carpet man said this often happens with natural fibres (wool), and advised something with a bit of acrylic.  Can't wait.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Silverlake

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2021, 05:27:12 AM »
White/cream Vertical Blinds?
Vertical Blinds would solve the problems of harsh, direct sunlight.
You could adjust them as the day/seasons change.
Allow air to circulate with the window open.
Turn them to let just the right amount of daylight in, where and when you want it, without having continuous glare from the sun.
When vertical blinds are fully closed, sunlight is completely diffused. Your machine and fabrics will be protected from fading/damage, but the room will not be completely dark.
You can draw blinds fully open to one side, so they're unobtrusive when not required.
In the winter, they're an additional thermal barrier behind your top curtains.
If you turn them to 45°, you have air coming in during warm summer evenings, and complete privacy, when your main light/lamps are on.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 05:34:56 AM by Silverlake »

Gernella

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2021, 10:47:45 AM »
I'm a big fan of day and night blinds.  The bathroom is downstairs on the east side of the house, and sun first thing is extremely bright, worse in winter, it is a real pleasure to be able to cut most of it out. 

The sewing room is north so curtains on both windows is fine although as kitty now uses it as his bedroom one curtain is shut on either side so the sun doesn't warm the room up too much in a morning and and in the evening when the sun goes down.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Esme866

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2021, 05:28:32 AM »
@b15erk I'm not sure what you guys have available, but for decades most carpeting, wall-to-wall type, sold here has been 100% nylon. No mildew/insect damage like wool. Doesn't wear down quickly like polyester and acrylic and though I'm certain it can fade, I've never lived anywhere that was an issue.

Here in the U.S., it has unfortunately been a rather common practice for less-than-honest carpet salespeople to suggest polyester and acrylics as a "superior" product. They look vivid in color and of course "feel soft" under foot - and they tend to be significantly less expensive than nylon. But the fibers compress quickly and do not have the resilience of nylon. Acrylic can be spun to be a superior hardy product, but it can also be produced to perform just the opposite.

All of that said, I haven't carpet shopped in a while. There may have been some advances in acrylics, I'd pay very close attention to written warranties and do some extra internet research.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2021, 18:25:55 PM »
Fascinating thread, I am paying close attention for my new room.

Have to echo on the fading, when I removed the furniture from the front bedroom of the old house, the wallpaper was faded and the backs of the blackout curtains were discoloured where they had faced the sun.
That room got strong morning sun, and I kept the curtains shut in the summer.

Think I'd better make some covers for my machines!

Sara-S

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2021, 10:45:40 AM »
My window faces west. Late afternoon sun glare can be blinding. So my primary machine is perpendicular to the window. My embroidery machine faces it, but it isn't used as often, so I can just avoid using it around sunset. I made a nice, opaque cover for it. If the cover fades badly, I suppose I can always make another one.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Ellabella

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2021, 13:27:44 PM »
I have velux windows in my attic sewing room, I chose blackout blinds and that has really helped, keeps things cooler too.