The Sewing Place

Handbag with pockets.

Sara-S

Handbag with pockets.
« on: July 21, 2021, 22:34:52 PM »
This one was based on my quilt guild’s summer challenge.  We were each given a fat quarter of a blue/green/purple marble-print fabric. It reminded me of peacock feathers, so I based the appliqué on that. Americans of my age recall the National Broadcasting Company (NBC) using a peacock as its logo, so I embroidered that onto the appliqué, which became part of the outer pocket. 

There is an inner pocket the same size, divided by a seam, into 2.  I managed box pleats, which were the hardest part, due to the thick canvas I used for the body of the bag. 

The snaps are magnetic and the adjustable strap is nylon webbing.

Here it is;
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Kitten

Re: Handbag with pockets.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 19:03:53 PM »
Very nice @Sara-S I love the colours too.

Sara-S

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 22:06:19 PM »
Thanks @Kitten   I got a chance to use it today. Nice & functional.

bec

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 08:11:12 AM »
Lovely work @Sara-S  :) The matching embroidery is such a cool idea and I'm sure it's handy having all those pockets

William

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 13:25:36 PM »
Well Done!
The colours are fab too - !
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Sara-S

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 11:08:08 AM »
Thanks all. I have been using it for a while & had to make a few repairs.  There are stress points I did not reinforce adequately on the first try- straps & corners of pockets.  So I got out the heavy-duty thread & needle I use for leather. I sewed back & forth a few times over each stress point.

The only thread of this type thatI have is black, so it is a bit more visible than I'd like, but this is a learning experience, so that's OK.  I've never made a handbag that I intended to use daily before.