The Sewing Place

Singer 5122 - how to thread tension discs?

THX1138

Singer 5122 - how to thread tension discs?
« on: July 21, 2021, 23:44:06 PM »
I have an oldish Singer 5122 sewing machine which I haven't used in a few years and I have forgotten how to thread the tension discs correctly. The instructions and images in the manual do not make it very clear. It's clear enough that the thread comes down on the right hand side of the discs and comes back up on the left but what is not so clear is how it interacts with the parts I've coloured pinkish and blueish in the below image. Does the thread go under the pinkish wire and then around the blueish bit?

Thanks very much.

steve_h

Re: Singer 5122 - how to thread tension discs?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 01:59:40 AM »
Bring it all the way around and hook it into the blueish piece then go catch it under the pinkish spring then up from there to the take-up arm.

THX1138

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 10:18:30 AM »
Bring it all the way around and hook it into the blueish piece then go catch it under the pinkish spring then up from there to the take-up arm.

Thank you very much, Steve!

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 10:31:54 AM »
I'm not familiar with that particular model, but did have an older Singer machine. My initial reaction was that the 'pinkish' tension spring is broken. It should be a continuous loop with both ends fixed into the disc housing. It can then move up and down to even out the tension on the thread. You thread the discs by passing the thread through the tension discs, over the loop, then through the 'blue-ish' guide. On my machine, you did not pass the thread through the (pink) loop.

As I said, I don't know the particular model. Here's a link to a site where you can buy a manual. Sorry I couldn't find a free download, but there might be one out there.

MistyRose

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 16:14:34 PM »
I have a singer with similar tension and your pink piece is bent out of shape.   There is a video that can perhaps help you with this, I will find it if I can for you.   It helped me when I had a problem.

MistyRose

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 16:42:23 PM »
This will take you to a page of my thread and if you scroll down you will find a clear picture of the wire.   https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,2169.30.html
This will take you to Andy Tube.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0rR0ern9kA
Hope these will help you.

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 10:36:24 AM »
Your YouTube link shows the threading procedure very clearly, @MistyRose. Much better than my attempt at explaining it!

Hope it's helpful, @THX1138