The Sewing Place

Striped fabric dress help/advice.

Esme866

Re: Striped fabric dress help/advice.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2021, 19:49:21 PM »
The print is very interesting. But unless you are 6'2" and weigh 125lbs. that pattern will definitely provide a "yes!" answer to the age old question of, "does this make my butt look big" if you run it horizontally.

If you run the stripe vertically, you will not run into a problem allowing for the extra length at the back of the skirt. (Adding to the bodice length in the back doesn't work as the extra length has to be added below the waist where its needed.)

I LOVE garments that "play" with stripe placement. So interesting! To me, this fabric would be an excellent fabric to use released pleats at the waist instead of gathers. If the pleats were folded to only expose the dark stripes at the waist it would form a visual "belt" of sorts. Also portions of the darker stripes could be used as accents on the bodice - collar, cuffs, or top edge of a pocket.

LeilaMay

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2021, 13:21:58 PM »
I too would use the fabric vertically on the skirt. All the other technical stuff went over my head LOL

Missie

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2021, 11:23:14 AM »
@Esme866 .  I quite like the idea of vertical pleating and I always pleat a fuller skirt as there is less bulk at the waist than a gathered skirt and actually, doing it like that, I could possibly hide the differential that way as well.  The concern with vertical is that the dotted stripe is evenly spaced and that will show the length differential, but it could well be hidden in the pleats.

Gah,  I had made my mind up and now its unmade.  I guess I will have to play with the fabric and work out what is achievable.

Esme866

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 06:31:29 AM »
 I think if a grey stripe was the center of the back, you should wind up with two identical slightly longer dotted yellow stripes on each side. I think the difference would then appear balanced much the same as darting the front of a plaid jacket. Yes, the plaids are interrupted, but they are interrupted in the same way on both sides so the pattern on the garment as a whole is balanced.

I hope that makes sense. 

Some things are so much easier to explain with a picture....... :rolleyes: