The Sewing Place

Building a usable stash

Pearl

Building a usable stash
« on: July 22, 2021, 12:19:03 PM »
Have been trying to use stash fabric for the Boom but am beginning to struggle so, inspired by @Iminei ’s choice of green fabric for the emerald block, I wondered how you build a usable stash.  By this I mean having a range of fabrics that you could use for a given project, rather than having to buy. 

I have a room full of fabric but never seem to have what I’m looking for.

What do I need to buy?  How much?  What colours?

I joined the Beautiful Batiks club of Hannah’s Room, but only ended up with a range of batiks in colours I’d never choose.

I tried looking for blenders on the destash site, but Facebook seems to think I want to make smoothies.  :laughing:

Please help!

Iminei

Re: Building a usable stash
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 13:52:35 PM »
If I find a great blender, like the Makower Geometrix that I use allllllll the time I buy it in as many colourways as I can.

I used the Cappucino Geometric for my first ever Real Quilt, The Opus,

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

You can see several colourways of the design and others from the same range, and a great John Louden blender which I believe is still available in the Undulating Terror and The HSTathon ... see how many you can pick out?

I love, love, love the Pink, Purple, Turquoise, Green and Blue versions and have used it extensively through BOMs, many other projects and swaps

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 05:20:14 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 14:05:59 PM »
So you’re saying I need to buy lots of fabric?  Excellent.  How much do you buy in each colour?

I’m planning to take a trip to the Bramble Patch with my FoQ budget.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 14:16:32 PM »
What you buy/need depends on what you are likely to make in the future.

If I am buying patchwork fabric it's nearly always blenders, small prints and splodgy designs; and some batiks.  No big patterns and I always look at the colours rather than the pattern.  Whilst I don't often go for plains I do nearly always choose fabrics with just one main colour; similar to most of those which @Iminei posted.

I also choose FQs above precuts and only buy bigger pieces in white or cream or if wanted for borders, binding or backing.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 14:50:36 PM »
Are you going to FOQ @Pearl ???
 or just to bramble patch?

Look for ranges and buy all the colours you like in them ... FQs minimum, if they are really great (like my Geometrix), buy Yardage ... I cant get them any more and tho' I have a drawer full but its running out ! :(

Pearl

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 15:32:03 PM »
No, not going to FoQ, but am going to spend what I would have spent there (including train fare and entrance fee) at BP. 

Thank you, both.  This is just what I needed.  I feel that I am in a middle ground between those who are able to pull fabric from their stash and those like @Lowena , who buy with a project in mind.    :headbang:

fajita

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 17:53:18 PM »
I do a mix. Occasional metres of something which I find pretty/interesting, and also lots of individual fat 1/4s.  It’s a nice way to buy pretties and basics, one or two at a time, so you don’t feel like you’re breaking the bank.

RJR_38

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 21:24:50 PM »
I’m like fajita and do a mix. I buy less FQs than I used to because I tend to make bags more and they usually require a minimum of half m. I only buy FQs of fabrics I think I will use for EPP. I’ve been growing my collection of blenders by buying what I need for a project and adding mire (eg, need half m so buy 1m). This means the cost is spread out. My favourite is Moda Grunge but it is pricey for a blender

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 07:43:23 AM »
@RJR_38 I was going to suggest grunge!  It's one of my favorites. I buy 3 yard lengths, sometimes 4 yards of good blender or backing fabrics. Also binding fabrics if fantastic I'll get several yards.

My basic rule for many fabrics is 1 to 1¼ yards so it could become a pillowcase or 3ish yards if it would be a good look for summer weight crop pants. Moda grunge makes great casual pants.  :thumbsup:  I buy fat quarters of lovely fabrics I can't imagine actually ever using. It satisfies the acquisition urge without taking up much space. Many of all the above do end up in quilts but in case they don't I have enough for them to be useful in some other manner.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 05:05:53 AM »
My basic rule for many fabrics is 1 to 1¼ yards so it could become a pillowcase or 3ish yards if it would be a good look for summer weight crop pants.

My God!! Lightside projects takes soooo much fabric and its sooooo wasteful too ... Bremembering the lining fabric I have from when I made waistcoats)

Flobear

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 09:11:30 AM »
And what I've discovered since flirting with the Dark side is that you can have lots of lovely colours and patterns for a project instead of just one or two  :D
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 12:38:18 PM »
My basic rule for many fabrics is 1 to 1¼ yards so it could become a pillowcase or 3ish yards if it would be a good look for summer weight crop pants.

My God!! Lightside projects takes soooo much fabric and its sooooo wasteful too ... Bremembering the lining fabric I have from when I made waistcoats)

Well @Iminei I multi task my fabrics. If I'm using quilt fabrics for garments the scrap parts go in the quilting fabrics. The pants I like take about 2¼ yards but you must preshrink it for clothes. So I add a bit more so my scrap is very usable.

If you are doing a quilt back you need significant yardage as you also do for sashing or setting blocks or borders for that matter. I like to cut borders unpieced from the lengthwise grain as it's much more stable and attractive that way. A throw needs about 2 yards and a queen almost 3 yards just for the right length. Backing fabrics are usually 3 to 5 yards. It adds up pretty fast.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

LeilaMay

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 13:18:12 PM »
Sorry to be the odd voice out, but I don't see the point in starting with a stash. It's often the case that a fabric you thought would go with something else doesn't work in a composition once you're starting an actual project. And surely part of the fun is choosing something new to work with? Yes I keep left-overs for the next projects, but buying random nice stuff, just for the sake of it, with no project in mind - why? Keep your money until you're making a certain thing.

Each to their own way, I know  :vintage:

Pearl

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2021, 13:41:00 PM »
I can see the sense of what you say, @LeilaMay .  In normal times, I go to sewing class near the Cotton Patch or make a trip to the Bramble Patch (about 40 mins away) but that has not been possible this year and I can see the benefit of having a stash of basics (blenders, neutrals, etc) to enable me to join in with sewalongs etc.  I have not always had good experience with online shopping. 

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Diane

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2021, 15:52:12 PM »
I like having a stash.....it's a bit like having a fridge full of comfort food  :laughing:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40