The Sewing Place

Flanged Bindings

Acorn

Flanged Bindings
« on: July 25, 2021, 10:40:12 AM »
Calling @Ploshkin !   :D

I have just finished a quilt top that is crying out for a flanged binding.  I know how to make one in principle, although I would just like to check that the flange strip should be 1/4" wider than the binding strip.  It doesn't seem like very much by the time the flange is folded.

The big question I have, though, is about the final sewing down.  There is no way I'm stitching in the ditch - I always sew my bindings by hand because I don't like the extra row of machine stitching on the back, and adding the stresses of stitching in the ditch to this would be torture...

I believe, @Ploshkin, that you have mentioned in the past that you hand stitch the binding down, leaving the flange free.  Do you do this by folding the flange up and (slip or ladder) stitching from the inside of the flange/binding onto the quilt?  Or do you do running stitch through the join between the flange and binding from the top?

I hope that makes sense...  :o

(Help welcome from anyone else with experience of flanges as well, of course!)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 10:44:54 AM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Flobear

Re: Flanged Bindings
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 11:22:01 AM »
I've only done it once, @Acorn having only made one actual quilt so far  :[  I stitched in the ditch by hand between the binding and the flange. Pretty sure I used backstitch.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 11:40:21 AM »
@Acorn  I, like Flobear, stitch in the ditch with a backstitch.  Nothing shows on he reverse because you don't stitch right through.
I can never remember what measurements i use, I always have to look it up but it would depend on how wide you want your flange.  I've only ever done 1/8" flanges so 1/4" wider strip.
Life's too short for ironing.

LeilaMay

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 13:04:48 PM »
Here's a good - machine sewn - tut for flange binding

https://www.mqgb.org.uk/patterns/flangebinding/flangebindingtute.html

I have sewn one, the first side on the machine and the front side by hand as I had used cotton of too high a count the then go through my machine properly.

It was a nice finish  :)

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 20:40:27 PM »
The traditional measurements for a Flanged binding is indeed as you say 1/4" more on the flanged fabric side ... which in a traditional binding would mean ...

1 1/2" flanged fabric, 1" binding fabric ...

But why be ruled by tradition?????

As you all know I like much wider bindings and wider flanges look almost like mini borders ...

Your quilt your choice!

With the 2020 BOM Quilt I stitched just inside the Binding fabric (Flange was my pop of colour PINK) with a straight stitch on the machine.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 20:47:11 PM »
Thanks for that @Iminei  :thumbsup: I have made my flanged binding - 2" binding and 2.5" flange - and I am very pleased with how it looks.

Now I just have to get the quilt sandwiched and quilted... and it sounds as though there's a chance I could enter it in 'Festival Finds'.  I just have to go over there and check one detail.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 20:50:03 PM by Acorn »

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 23:04:02 PM »
Here's a good - machine sewn - tut for flange binding

https://www.mqgb.org.uk/patterns/flangebinding/flangebindingtute.html

It's a very long time since I've done a flange, and it was between two borders.  I think I worked it more or less as I would have done a piping insert but without the filling cord.

For a flange next to the binding I think I would take the same approach. 

My bindings are nearly always machine stitched against the right side of the quilt, folded over and hand stitched to the line of machine stitching on the back.  Like @Acorn I don't like the extra row of machine stitching that shows on the other side when stitching in the ditch - and if it goes wonky it can completely miss the binding!  :o

So, my way would likely be to cut 3/4" flange and a 2" binding, fold both in half and make sure the cut edges were exactly together and sew the two together just inside the seam allowance, then attach as one to the quilt, with the flange next to quilt top, and machine stitch just to the left of the first row of stitching.  Then fold the binding over and hand stitch down as usual.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 09:17:45 AM »
Thanks @BrendaP - I have to say that is exactly how I thought I would do it before I started reading about the 'right' way!  It's not like me to choose the official way - and it remains to be seen whether I'll do it that way a second time!