The Sewing Place

Christmas Craft 2021

datcat23

Christmas Craft 2021
« on: July 27, 2021, 12:48:37 PM »
 :faints:  Yep, its that time again, when I suck draw you all in  :grouphug: to collectively encourage each other, to get our sewing planned and completed in time, so we aren't panicking at the end of the year. 

So lets get it over with ..... CHRISTMAS !  XMAS !  FELIZ NAVIDAD!  the season for giving!   :scream:

Now, for the uninitiated ..... I do this every year, encourage all to start planning, start sewing early, and enjoy the process.  As usual I started planning in February, but don't mess with you all that early.

I only have a small number to sew for this year, so am keeping it fairly simple, with embroidered table napkins, and probably some fudge, rum balls and gingernuts.  I may sew for family this year, but I have no idea what I will make.

Now .... your turn. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Sheilago

Re: Christmas Craft 2021
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 13:11:34 PM »
Believe it or not, I’ve just saved a free pattern for crocheted robins to my Pinterest and I thought I was a bit ahead of myself ! My sister runs a charity shop and I thought I’d make some for her to sell. Still working away on soap savers and wash cloths at the moment . :D

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 07:36:30 AM »
Well @datcat23 it's about time. I thought July was going to slip by without the ubiquitous C'mas in July thread. All is still right with the world.  :meditation:

I must admit that I, who was referred to as "Martha West" years ago after a Martha Stewart Christmas crafting special where she showed numerous items I had recently taught in a class, I, who could make 3 batches of microwave candy in the morning while getting ready for work, I who used to make hundreds upon hundreds of Christmas cookies  each year, I..., well you get the point, do almost nothing Christmas related now. I have put up a 4 foot tall prelit tree and decorated it with candy canes and chocolate ornaments from Aldi the last few years.

Haven't worked for years so no coworker gifts. No kids so no grands either to make gifts for. Relatives who either never gave a #%÷@ or never acknowledged gifts let alone say thank you. All friends sew.

OH was pre-diabetic and obese so I quit baking and candy making. We both ate too much of it. Now I have stopped eating sugar and wheat and he's lost 150 pounds which he needs to keep off.

Maybe I could make a few toys for the kitties? If I got really ambitious I could make some for the shelter cats.

I always enjoy seeing what you and others do. So keep them coming.  :)

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 14:11:26 PM »
@Renegade Sewist A lady at our local shelter makes toys stuffed with catnip  ;)
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 15:02:45 PM »

Now, for the uninitiated ..... I do this every year,

July - read Datcat's thread and think, "I'm going to start early this year."
mid December - start projects
late on Christmas Eve evening/early Christmas morning - frantically quilting and sewing on binding.  Resolve to start earlier next year.

I have a head start this year as the placemats I was making last year only need quilting and binding, like so many things in my life, and would have been finished last year if I hadn't contracted that wretched virus.  I'm also planning to make some fabric gift bags.  Do you have deja vu?  I may have said this before.  I saw a lovely fabric gift box on one of the crafting channels last week so might give that a go.

Bjay

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 18:07:02 PM »
Have given a thought about a table runner and place mat set as a gift Have a pattern but just so much on my list at the moment
Found out some Cmas fabric toady in the clear out - may use it this year
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Diane

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 20:12:12 PM »
Christmas  :faints:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 09:04:05 AM »
After reading this with shock-horror, I realised that if I want to make DD and myself a gown each, then I need to start thinking about it now.

By the time I've sourced the pattern, fabric and notions, cut out relevant sizes and sewn together - we will be well on the way to winter.

Thanks for the heads up @datcat23  - I think!  :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 09:13:16 AM »
I might feel more in the mood for this once I've moved and got my sewing room set up.

I have planned some gingerbread people ornaments made from a wool skirt that shrank in the wash.
They could be gifts or just for my own decorations.

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 13:12:00 PM »
Arghhhhhh!! :faints:
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Kitten

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 15:35:38 PM »
Yesterday I made a start on the Christmas stockings I wanted to make last year.
Maybe they'll get finished this year!

Ann

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2021, 13:22:32 PM »
I started last month making potholders and have 5 of the 6 done. Had to buy fabric to finish the 6th one and to finish the remaining items. Some of the items are for DD's Xmas gift.

Left to make are square and rectangular hot pads which will be quilted and bound and the cat fabric will be gone from this house.

On the cutting table is a quilt for DD's cat.

As it is for a cat, the quilting will be very simple -- stitch in the ditch.

After that, I'm not sure what I will be making other than pj bottoms for DGS and a knitting bag for DDIL.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ann

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2021, 12:20:31 PM »
I'm moving along with the hot pads and have 6 rows left to quilt on the 3rd square one. The one shown is ready for the binding.

When done I have two rectangular ones to quilt and then I can do the binding. DD gets 3 potholders, one square and one rectangular hot pads for Christmas from our cat.

After I sew some piping, I will start on the cat's quilt and if there is enough of the yellow/gray fabric (5 meters) I will buy a bit of paw print fabric and make a dog quilt so the pets have quilts for their Christmas gifts this year. I am keeping them simple as they are for the pets.

I have to make DDIL a new bag out of linen as she fell in love with a piece in the stash. After that, I'm still thinking about what else I need to make.
Stash Busting 2023

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2021, 21:19:27 PM »
When done I have two rectangular ones to quilt and then I can do the binding. DD gets 3 potholders, one square and one rectangular hot pads for Christmas from our cat.

After I sew some piping, I will start on the cat's quilt and if there is enough of the yellow/gray fabric (5 meters) I will buy a bit of paw print fabric and make a dog quilt so the pets have quilts for their Christmas gifts this year. I am keeping them simple as they are for the pets.

@Ann it's good to see how thoughtful your cat is. No sibling rivalry with your daughter. Also thinking of little projects to keep you busy. Now that is a good cat!

I'm sure the cat and dog will be ecstatic about the quilts they receive. The cat will probably feint indifference but will be secretly purring.
  • Ann likes this
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ann

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2021, 22:18:34 PM »
@Renegade Sewist, our cat is a task master. He will come up with a project for me to make for DD and then go off and sleep while I make it.

Both the cat and dog will like their quilts. The cat will be purring secretly when he gets his as he loves blankets. And the dog loves blankets also. I may have to make an extra quilt if they win the puppy lottery. Right now they don't know if they get a puppy or not from a breeder. They are in the top 7 to get one. If they do, I will have to make one out of scraps for him/her.

Stash Busting 2023