The Sewing Place

Christmas Craft 2021

Ann

Re: Christmas Craft 2021
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2021, 21:22:00 PM »
The first Christmas gift is done. I finished hemming the hot pads this afternoon and DD's are folded and ready to be wrapped.

The three pot holders shown a few posts above are included.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ann

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2021, 17:24:09 PM »
I am working on Christmas gifts still. I knit DD a pair of socks to wear in her winter boots. I'm quite proud of them as I set about learning how to knit socks once again after stopping 2 years ago.

I have a dog's blanket ready to hand sew the binding down once I finish a test pattern for a doll designer. More on that later.
Stash Busting 2023

Diane

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2021, 18:09:21 PM »
I was thinking of making my mum a lap quilt for christmas with a dachshund theme along with a couple of mug rugs but i just know she won't appreciate them  :rolleyes: Now, do i just make them anyway  :thinking: I have all the fabric that i need to do them.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 18:14:13 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Celia

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2021, 22:40:08 PM »
Yes @Diane do it anyway because you will enjoy making it, that is the important bit :loveit: :loveit:

fajita

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2021, 23:06:16 PM »
Make them, @Diane

Make sure the quilt has a label!

Stitchalot

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2021, 23:22:31 PM »
I’m a bit embarrassed to admit that my makes are well under way. Wall hangings - one for each of the grandchildren.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 23:24:17 PM by Stitchalot »

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2021, 07:03:45 AM »
@Stitchalot don't be embarrassed. Truth be told most of us either admire that, envy it or are downright jealous. Those are really cute.  :perfect10:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Diane

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2021, 08:18:49 AM »
@Celia @fajita I think your right, i will make the quilt and mug rugs, i mean it's not as if she invites me up to her house so i won't see if she's using them or not. @fajita do you make your own labels or do you buy them? I've never added a label before to anything that i've made.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

fajita

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2021, 08:50:07 AM »
To tell the truth, @Diane i don’t tend to label my quilts beyond a ‘made by hand with love’ tag when I remember. But - I do think it’s a good thing to do to label them. Memories fade, and it’s good to remember who made you a gift and when. Plus - you might end up with commissions from impressed randoms.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2021, 11:47:52 AM »
To tell the truth, @Diane i don’t tend to label my quilts beyond a ‘made by hand with love’ tag when I remember. But - I do think it’s a good thing to do to label them. Memories fade, and it’s good to remember who made you a gift and when. Plus - you might end up with commissions from impressed randoms.
There is another good reason to tag things. I know we don't see our quilts as precious heirlooms, but there is a chance that a future generation might like to know where the quilt came from. One of my mother's most treasured possessions are two quilts which were made by her grandmother and great aunts over one hundred years ago. There are no labels on those, but we are lucky to know where they came from. One is a baby quilt and it has been used for all the grandchildren right up to my children, for nap time at grandma's. I doubt I will be able to do the same for my grandchildren, if I ever have them, as these quilts are now quite fragile.
So yes, I think adding a label is a nice gesture.
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Ann

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2021, 11:59:05 AM »
@Stitchalot, those are gorgeous wall hangings. I'm sure your grandchildren will love them.

I finished the dog's blanket and I'm quite happy with it. I used up left over fabric a friend gave me and a meter of fleece from the stash. It was a remnant from a bolt when I worked at a fabric store so got it cheap. The fabric had to be pieced to get the blanket I wanted and I wasn't too worried about it matching perfectly as it's for a dog. I did quilt it in straight lines to have the front and back attached to each other.

DD said se is going to steal it for herself.

I got the squares for the cat's quilt sewn together. I am really liking this combination of fabric.

I will post more on it when it is done.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2021, 12:23:59 PM »
I'm plugging away at Christmas gifts. I got the cat's quilt done and am pleased with it.

I'm also working on a 2nd pair of socks for DD. I'm nearly ready to do the heel flap.

Next up in the sewing room is a quilt/blanket for the new puppy. It will be bigger than the cat quilt as the puppy will grow into a good size dog like his half brother. Once it's done, I'm onto sewing for family who lives here.
Stash Busting 2023

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2021, 12:32:51 PM »
My mother has requested a pair of trousers.  Whenever I have made her something she has never worn it.  It has been noticed within months sat in a bag destined for a charity shop.
Not sure whether to make them for her with as little effort as possible, or forget all about it  :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Lizzy777

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2021, 14:55:45 PM »
My mother has requested a pair of trousers.  Whenever I have made her something she has never worn it.  It has been noticed within months sat in a bag destined for a charity shop.
Not sure whether to make them for her with as little effort as possible, or forget all about it  :laughing:
BB

You could always buy a reasonably(or cheaply)  priced pair and take the label out?  Why should you do all that work tome her  a pair of trousers which aren't going to be used? Sounds like your mother doesn't know or appreciate how much time is involved in making them?

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2021, 21:30:10 PM »
@Lizzy777  You just about summed my mother up lol
I have decided to 'forget' unless she brings it up again  ;)
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."