The Sewing Place

Breastfeeding/Nursing Tops

charlotte

Breastfeeding/Nursing Tops
« on: July 28, 2021, 11:41:00 AM »
Any recommendations for top patterns (or dress patterns I could chop off to make a top) for woven fabric that are suitable for breastfeeding. It needs to be dressy-ish, as it's for my bridesmaid, who I have just found out is pregnant (yay!) and due four weeks before my wedding.

I was wondering about covered buttons and buttonloops down the centre front, or a cross over top, but open to all suggestions. I've seen RTW with invisible zips in princess seams covered with ruffles.

My chief bridesmaid will also have a nine month old, so also likely to still be breastfeeding, so I need a top for her too.

They'll be in long tulle skirts and the one who is due four weeks before I will leave her hem and waistband until the week of the wedding, so she can wear it as an empire line or around her waist, depending on what she's most comfortable in. I do want to make her top in advance though, so ideally something with plenty of ease around the bust to accommodate breasts of unknown dimensions. Tops could be tucked in or worn outside the skirt.

charley

Re: Breastfeeding/Nursing Tops
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 20:34:47 PM »
@charlotte My DIL was breastfeeding at her and my son's wedding, Her dress accommodated this, the straps were fastened at the front, and she could undo one at a time. Their baby was just about 7 months at the time of the wedding, she was fed a couple of times during the afternoon/evening (meal, music and dancing), there was no problem at all, and DIL was very comfortable, and totally at ease. I think the dress was organised like this when the wedding was planned. I made the cakes, so I was a wreck because of that - but they were good too.

Missie

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 22:28:48 PM »
I would advise against making her top ahead of time as you just don’t know how large her boobs will get.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 10:45:48 AM »
Not sure if this is any use, but when I read your post, it came to mind.  I knitted this poncho last year for over my shoulders in cool evenings, and I wondered if it would be of use to you?

Knitted Poncho

Knitted Poncho Instructions

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

charlotte

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 13:17:02 PM »
I would advise against making her top ahead of time as you just don’t know how large her boobs will get.

I know!! But I'm not sure I can fit in making it from scratch in the couple of weeks before the wedding with all my other DIY projects. I was thinking if it is a looser-fitting style I could have it at least cut out and tacked together ahead of time, and then do some last-minute fitting before I sew it together, just before the wedding.

I also have a bridesmaid currently stuck in the States, so chances are I won't get a chance to fit her much before the wedding either. I may be able to post her a toile though, which will help.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 13:20:13 PM by charlotte »

Alexp

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 16:06:27 PM »
Would a stretchy vest/camisole with the woven as a loose overlay work for the look you want? That way the outer can be lifted and vest lowered for fairly discreet feeding.
A vest with a t-shirt over is my favoured combination (apart from in the recent warm weather) as it allows my tummy to stay covered while I am self conscious about it.
Also you may need to bear in mind a possible c section wound, but sounds like the skirt should accommodate this.

charlotte

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 17:07:52 PM »
Would a stretchy vest/camisole with the woven as a loose overlay work for the look you want? That way the outer can be lifted and vest lowered for fairly discreet feeding.
A vest with a t-shirt over is my favoured combination (apart from in the recent warm weather) as it allows my tummy to stay covered while I am self conscious about it.
Also you may need to bear in mind a possible c section wound, but sounds like the skirt should accommodate this.

I like this idea. Maybe a trapeze top? I don't know if it would all be a bit too voluminous with the tulle though.

Perhaps something like this, but a bit longer and less tapered in at the waist?

Alexp

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 19:13:47 PM »
So long as it is easy to move up or aside that looks good, of course everyone's bodies change differently. I only gained 1 cup size (plus a couple of inches around the ribs) but probably 3 dress sizes at waist and hips by that stage after birth, I was still wearing maternity jeans for a couple of months so not sure exactly!
Also make sure whatever you make can accommodate a decent nursing bra, they don't tend to be dainty even in small cup sizes!

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 19:25:55 PM »
I had an emergency caesarean and the mummy tummy never fully disappeared even with as many crunches as I could find time for!  DS is now 18....

Do be aware that if she also finds herself in that situation she might find the entire ceremony very tiring so you may have to cut her some slack.

charlotte

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 09:10:32 AM »
I had an emergency caesarean and the mummy tummy never fully disappeared even with as many crunches as I could find time for!  DS is now 18....

Do be aware that if she also finds herself in that situation she might find the entire ceremony very tiring so you may have to cut her some slack.

Thanks. It's a civil ceremony, so just walking down the aisle and sitting down, so hopefully it will be fine. I'm very relaxed about it all, so if she doesn't even walk down the aisle and just wants to sit at the back with baby then that's fine with me! She's adamant that she will be partying the night away, but I'm not convinced!

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 13:06:47 PM »
Another thing I discovered - DS was born about 9 or 10 days before Xmas and was violently sick when I tried to have some wine on Xmas day!  That was me on the wagon for the next 15 months!!!