The Sewing Place

Style Arc Montana midi dress

Starryfish

Style Arc Montana midi dress
« on: July 29, 2021, 16:26:25 PM »
This is the first garment of note I've sewn this Summer.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The fabric is a linen mix from Croftmill. I did a forward shoulder alteration of 1/2" to stop it sliding backwards as loose dresses have taken to doing, due to a lifetime of hunching over a keyboard. It's better, but I may need to add a bit more. I also took 1 1/2" off the length. I only had enough fabric to cut one set of bodice pieces instead of a fully lined bodice but it turned out fine just neatening the neckline and armholes.

It's very comfortable, and I may well make another next year. I have some linen for a Tessuti Felicia which is a very similar style but more of a pinafore for my next make after I finish some dark pink trousers.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

SkoutSews

Re: Style Arc Montana midi dress
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 18:46:16 PM »
I've had my eye on the Montana dress for a while now, so was interested to see your very successful version. It will be cool and comfortable in the linen mix fabric and has the essential pockets!

You say you've taken 1.5" off the length, so I'm guessing the pattern must be quite long?

Starryfish

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 19:42:13 PM »
I'm 5'5" if that gives you an idea of how long it is. I find a lot of Style Arc patterns to be rather long. I'm wearing their Natasha trousers which are supposed to be 7/8 length, and they are full length on me.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 19:45:46 PM »
I took at least 2" off mine when I made it for the foliage and floral sew along. I'm only 5'1" and it's still very midi in length. I also put some very narrow elastic round the base of the bodice and although it's still loose it add some shape that I felt that it needed.

Yours looks lovely @Starryfish.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 20:27:31 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 19:47:17 PM »
That's lovely @Starryfish . Very classy! I've generally found Stylearc ok for length but I did chop about 4" off a pair of Stylearc trousers recently. I'm just making a version of the Nova pattern for my DDiL who is pregnant - makes a great maternity dress.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 20:28:56 PM »
A lovely cool summer dress, I love the fabric. It looks good on you @Starryfish .
Still learning

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 23:24:46 PM »
Lovely dress and very pretty fabric!

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 23:30:42 PM »
Looks great on you!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 08:59:36 AM »
@Starryfish , that's a lovely dress, and your fabric is beautiful.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

dolcevita

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 12:03:05 PM »
Really lovely. The style and fabric suit you really well.