The Sewing Place

When the hole gets bigger, keep on digging

Ouryve

Re: When the hole gets bigger, keep on digging
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2021, 13:40:34 PM »
I shall have to look for one of those :thumbsup:
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2021, 13:45:31 PM »
I don't understand...having never made a garment nor seen an unfinished buttonhole.
I thought the buttonhole attachment made....a buttonhole! ie. open in the middle and bound round the edges. I take it,that's not the case .....

Everyday is a school day :thinking:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

dolcevita

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2021, 15:50:51 PM »
Buttonhole chisel - no slippage as long as you've got a nice bit of wood underneath.

Elnnina

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2021, 16:09:47 PM »
Oh yes the buttonhole chisel with the block of wood is excellent - I also use a wooden steak hammer to use on the chisel and this hammer stays here in my room - it has never been used for anything else.  Just be aware that the little chisel is so dinky - my husband has his eye on this for what reason I do not know, but it is a sewing chisel not a wood working one.  I actually have the Bernina one which is now frightfully expensive, but I am sure the Clover one is more reasonable.

Ouryve

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2021, 17:44:36 PM »
Haha, I can just see a chisel going walkies in our house. I have a pink toolkit because I wa sick of my screwdrivers getting "put away" in the unfathomable depths of one of someone else's toolboxes
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2021, 18:05:48 PM »
@Ouryve I bought a pink toolkit for the same reason, then one of the bf's decided it was easier to use my toolkit than dig through the manly ones.  The pink turned a grubby black from his use with several tools  ><
I got angry and shouted, nobody used it again but it was never the same after that  :(
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ouryve

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2021, 18:16:49 PM »
@Ouryve I bought a pink toolkit for the same reason, then one of the bf's decided it was easier to use my toolkit than dig through the manly ones.  The pink turned a grubby black from his use with several tools  ><
I got angry and shouted, nobody used it again but it was never the same after that  :(
BB

Mine gets used, too, but it's not allowed out of my sight - or anywhere near the black hole in the garage!

I need some pink garden tools, mind.

Celia

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2021, 09:34:29 AM »
I once bought a pink computer for the same reason

Flobear

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2021, 09:38:55 AM »
The solution I have is to meet a man/partner who has done very little DIY so does not have many tools - just one portable tool-box full. Consequently all the power tools and hand tools in the shed are mine. Of course it means I do all the DIY unless I hire a professional  :[
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2021, 11:28:42 AM »
I agree with @Flobear , my man had never done any diy either, any tools he had were very old and his dad's.   I do allow him to use some of my tools but only under supervision  :laughing:

Nevis5

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2021, 11:30:23 AM »
Haha I wish I could dissuade DH from attempting any DIY.  Always a nightmare.  And I bought a pink watering can in the spring as I'm sick of all mine disappearing off to the allotment.  Strangely it's still here  :thumbsup: