The Sewing Place

When the hole gets bigger, keep on digging

Gernella

When the hole gets bigger, keep on digging
« on: July 31, 2021, 09:45:32 AM »
All I had to do yesterday was trim the coverstitched hem, fabric that was fine and without spending hours tweaking would have tunnelled.   I was nearly done when I got distracted, small hole cut (DH yelling at the cat).

After considering all options, I pinned some fabric on the back and used the machine's repair stitch, without looking at the manual first.  Not a neat job, machine went back and I wanted it forward, but it was okay and would always be unseen.  I turned it over and decided to trim off my patch.  One end done and DH walked in and asked me  something, stopped with the scissors, he went out, started again and my hand juddered (my excuse).  Another hole, bigger.

I weighed up the possibilities of cutting the whole lot off and doing the hem again, probably feasible.  I wanted it finished, so went upstairs and found a broad length of bias binding same colour (how lucky was that), trimmed some off and machined it on the bottom, just above the coverstitching.  A little label, it looked.

This morning I'm wearing it, plenty of room to cut off and redo but I'm leaving it, as a warning.  DH is practically blind in the house unless you draw his attention to something so he'll never notice, probably.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: When the hole gets bigger, keep on digging
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 10:00:09 AM »
I've done that too when trimming after cover stitching - I just don't trim now!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 11:30:37 AM »
Oh I can cut into fabric using duck billed scissors! :headbang:
I actually stopped using them for the hems after coverstitching and prefer to use my tiny Janome embroidery scissors. 

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 13:38:08 PM »
That was what I was using @Starryfish , fool proof normally although to be honest this is the only fabric I've ever had problems with using the coverstitch with, it's so flipping fine and silky.  I think I got careless because I was on the last bit.

Still got another 3 meters to practice on (bought originally for  dressing gown).  I'll do one with long sleeves next for winter.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 06:08:52 AM »
Im not entirely sure about what you are referring to (as no pics) but I trimmed the label from the toddler PJ bottoms I inadvertently bought a few months ago ...

BIG mistake ... HUGE!

I now have a 2" slit in the overlocked outside seam of the botts !  >:)   :(  Peekaboo PJ botts anyone ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 11:04:27 AM »
Not the best of pictures @Iminei but a bit difficult taking a picture of yourself at crotch level.

If I'd had one of those sew on motifs or similar, that could have gone over it.  When I first started sewing I did get some 'own labels' which I now don't use, haven't got the time to faff, but it was too narrow.  Can't remember what I bought this for but it's the widest cotton bias binding I have.

annieeg

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 11:44:40 AM »
@Gernella   Very resourceful and looks perfectly ok from the photo :thumbsup:

Ouryve

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 16:37:20 PM »
So frustrating.

I finished the shirt I made for my husband, last week. For the first time ever, even doing the pin trick that I've done hundreds of times, I ripped straight past the end of the buttonhole.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2021, 16:51:39 PM »
So frustrating.

I finished the shirt I made for my husband, last week. For the first time ever, even doing the pin trick that I've done hundreds of times, I ripped straight past the end of the buttonhole.

:( How frustrating. I don't trust seam rippers for this job. I don't do many buttonholes but I either do the pin at each end and cut with a sharp xacto knife or use a small sharp chisel.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ouryve

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 17:15:41 PM »
:( How frustrating. I don't trust seam rippers for this job. I don't do many buttonholes but I either do the pin at each end and cut with a sharp xacto knife or use a small sharp chisel.

I normally only start with the ripper and finish with embroidery scissors but the fabric decided it was going to yield with much less complaint than every needle or pin I'd every stuck in it!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2021, 17:17:38 PM »
Oh dear.  Yeah the pin trick doesn’t work.  Much better to start a small hole with the ripper in the middle.  Then use very sharp scissors and cut from the middle to the outside of both ends.

Ellabella

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2021, 17:46:48 PM »
On anything other than very substantial fabrics I usually fold the buttonhole in half and do a tiny snip with very sharp scissors and then open out and snip from the middle to each end.

My Karen Kaye Buckley serrated scissors are my go to every time.

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 19:33:19 PM »
I always use a seam ripper for buttonholes.  I cut from each end to the middle.  I've never even come close to a near miss - I would have to be seriously not concentrating.
Life's too short for ironing.

Gernella

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 13:16:40 PM »
Having made a 'mistake' in the past I have one of those Clover buttonhole cutters, with a piece of wood underneath.  Must have used it a lot because there are slits all over the wood.  So far, never failed me @Ouryve .