The Sewing Place

UFO Ottobre dress

dolcevita

UFO Ottobre dress
« on: July 31, 2021, 17:32:20 PM »
I started this dress last year and abandoned it for some reason or other, I can't remember why. My usual reasons are that I can't complete it in time for the occasion I was making it for, or it's no longer suitable for the weather after it's changed! Either way, it was just a case of pressing, hems and a couple of fitting adjustments I had made along the way.

The pattern is #8 from Ottobre Woman 5/2018. An absolute corker of an issue - I've made 5 different designs from this issue, everything from a t-shirt to a coat and I may do a couple more.

The dress is quite simple, but effective and very easy to wear - Ottobre's trademark style. My fabric was from Driessenstoffen, back in the days when they still delivered to the UK. Having a break is probably no bad thing for my stash! The fabric was described as a piqué jersey - I'd call it a modern day crimplene! :o

That said, it's comfortable to wear and isn't scratchy. It also washes really well and doesn't need ironing. The colour is a super dark navy.

I'm going to fiddle with the neckline a bit - I inserted some narrow elastic to stop gaping but the distribution is wrong with most of the gathering effect below the left boob but it needs to be higher. I will get that done this evening because, of course, I shall wear it tomorrow!
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ohsewsimple

Re: UFO Ottobre dress
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 21:44:15 PM »
Very nice.  :thumbsup:

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 06:27:42 AM »
Very smart and looks comfy to wear, I had to look up pique jersey. I remember white cotton pique collars on my school summer uniform dresses.
Still learning

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 10:33:50 AM »
Really nice dress, DV, and no ironing! Big bonus.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 12:01:35 PM »
Another lovely project @dolcevita .  It does look very comfortable, I never manage to get a nice fit - without gaping - on a wrapover though.  How do you manage it?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

dolcevita

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 12:10:56 PM »
Thanks all!
@b15erk  - I do a small fba at the sides which, in jersey, is just a boob bubble of a bit of extra fabric where I need it. On thr neckline, if I need to, I put a small run of elastic into the fold over finished edge to gather it slightly where it will gape. Not so much that it puckers the fabric, but enough to keep everything covered.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 13:20:38 PM »
Boob bubble.  :laughing:  Never heard it called that before @dolcevita but describes it well.  Use the same method myself.