The Sewing Place

Piping cord for trimming cushion covers

SkoutSews

Piping cord for trimming cushion covers
« on: August 14, 2021, 17:04:06 PM »
Can anyone advise me what diameter cord I should use in piping for cushion covers?  I haven't a clue, all I know is that my machine piping foot won't take anything wider than 5mm.

Should I use cotton or polyester, or does it make no difference?

toileandtrouble

Re: Piping cord for trimming cushion covers
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 17:44:24 PM »
It depends on the look you want.  A delicate satin might look better with a fine cord, something more rustic, bigger.  It also depends how you wash the covers.  You can get a slight shrinkage on the cotton (but you would probably only wash them on a low temperature).  I have used both sorts and find the cotton easier to blend in at the joins but sometimes I could not get the choice in the shop. The cotton feels softer.  If you are using a piping foot you are limited by the size of the groove.  When I had lots to do, I sandwiched the cord inside a long length of bias  fabric on the sewing machine, then ran it through the overlocker, putting the cord close against the foot.  That gave me a length of easy to handle covered cord with a consistent width flange, so it was easy to put into the seams of the cushion (or cover).
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 18:01:17 PM »
That's a good tip for the overlocker @toileandtrouble, thank you.

These are going to be rustic rather than fine, a mixture of tweed and jacquard curtain fabric, with the jacquard used for the binding. Should I get 5mm cord or would 4mm be enough with the heavier binding fabric? I'll go for the cotton cord if it's easier to deal with. I don't wash cushion covers unless I absolutely have to.

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 19:16:08 PM »
Yes, I would agree. If cotton, try to find pre-shrunk. Some piping cord comes with a rope-like finish. I don't like the effect this gives and prefer the sort that comes with a smooth cover on it.

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 19:38:46 PM »
I'll look out for that, thanks @Greybird

Esme866

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 05:05:43 AM »
For anyone reading this that doesn't have an overlocker, I've only ever used a zipper foot on a regular sewing machine. This would create less bulk from the seam allowance, and the zipper foot is how I stitch the cushion together.

Sitting here on a sofa Mom reupholstered over 20 years ago. Like mine, seam allowances and piping allowances are all graded and staggered to reduce bulk.

Helen M

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 10:47:02 AM »
I use the zipper foot too. It's not the little one that came with my machine but a generic one (Kenneth D King uses them on his invisible zip tutorial video) which I think came with my first sewing machine. You can get right up close to the cord which gives a nice finish.

I also prefer the smooth effect cord.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

SkoutSews

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 10:52:08 AM »
Thanks to @Helen M and to @Esme866 both, for the smooth cord and layered seam allowances pointers.

The only time I've sewn cushion covers before was around 40 years ago and they were just rough and ready things. Piping was not involved!

Helen M

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 11:19:49 AM »
Funnily enough @SkoutSews I've just made a cushion cover than doesn't have piping cord on it!

I had planned to but it's a linen look fabric so wasn't sure I wanted it to look 'chunky'. I was recovering a cushion with fabric that matches the curtains in our bedroom which had a removable cover and which was much finer. I had a look in the store (my local J Lewis) at their cushions and discovered that none had piping and looked alright, so I thought I'll go without.  I'm happy with the result!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 12:09:28 PM »
I was sold an adjustable zipper foot at a K&S show at Ally Pally some years ago, on the strength of the Brother rep's recommendation.  She was absolutely right - just the job for adding piping to cushion covers as it allow you to drop the needle exactly where you want it and doesn't get fussed by big cord.

I use my piping foot only occasionally.  It came in handy when DS was doing a school applique project (he chose the D-Day landings!) and he wanted to add brown piping to a cut-out tank shape to represent the caterpillar track.  He zig-zagged over it.