The Sewing Place

Machine or hand sew curtain linings?

Stitchalot

Re: Machine or hand sew curtain linings?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2021, 18:34:55 PM »
‘ Shallow zig zag’ - that’s the description which escaped me!

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2021, 12:26:55 PM »
I hope there are no curtain police, because I don't attach my lining at all at the sides.  I was used to separate linings, hung from the same hooks.  I liked the overall effect, but got frustrated with the awful header tape that was invariably used.  When I first made curtains myself (over 30 years ago) I did away with the lining header tape and just hemmed the sides, sewing the linings in under the header tape, and let them both hang freely.  As it works beautifully I am still doing it that way.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2021, 12:31:07 PM »
@Acorn I like your method  0_0

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 12:45:39 PM »
I do it that way too @Acorn , just join the sides, bag the whole thing out and turn curtain and lining fabric under the header tape.

Tbh, I didn't know that it wasn't the right way to do it... :| :rolleyes: :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2021, 13:10:49 PM »
@b15erk if you are bagging it out you surely you are joining the sides.  @Acorn 's metod is for curtain and lining to hang freely and independent of each other.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2021, 13:13:29 PM »
@BrendaP , yes I quite see now that I have misread... :|  Must read more carefully...  :rolleyes: ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2021, 16:49:43 PM »
 :thumbsup:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Silverlake

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 20:00:01 PM »
Could someone please explain for me, what "Bagging Out" is?

I have three pairs of curtains to re-line. My biggest project to-date. I think I can copy how they were originally lined, but I want to make sure I don't overlook something.

Does Curtain Lining Fabric usually need to be a certain type/weight?
Would new Egyptian Cotton sheets (400 thread count) be a suitable substitute?

Ploshkin

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2021, 20:30:52 PM »
Bagging out is when you put the outer and lining fabrics right sides together and machine stitch the side seams ( having first done the hems).  You then turn it right way out.  The lining fabric needs to be narrower than the outer so that the outer fabric turns in at the sides.
I only make basic curtains and not often but I would think that the lining needs to be a suitable weight for the particular curtain fabric.  You wouldn't want to use a sheet for big, heavy curtains.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2021, 20:38:29 PM »
I think I've found my problem.  On my next couple of pairs I hand sewed the linings but realised that the fabric was heavier than the one I'd used for the first pair which was also softer so possibly a slightly looser weave.  They were all cotton curtain fabrics from the same place.  I went back to bagging out for the remainder and haven't had a problem at all.  I think the first fabric stretched a bit when sewing and I think I made it worse trying to iron it into submission.  I'm still not happy with the first curtain even after hand sewing the lining.  I'm going to take it down and have another look at it.
I'm on my final pair  :)
Life's too short for ironing.