The Sewing Place

kwik sew patterns

Zigzag

kwik sew patterns
« on: June 04, 2017, 00:26:59 AM »
I expected the Kwik Sew pattern paper to be a strong white paper to cut out a pattern.  Has Kwik Sew changed to thin tissue paper or is my pattern a fake product.    :o Thanks.
Sorry, I have altered the title...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 00:37:26 AM by Zigzag »

Francesca

Re: KWIK SEW PATTERNS
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 00:30:20 AM »
All the Kwik Sew's I've had have been on tissue.

Also, can you edit your title to be in standard case. Upper case on the internet is considered the equivalent of shouting.  :P

Marniesews

Re: KWIK SEW PATTERNS
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 00:33:19 AM »
Me too, all tissue like Simplicity, McCalls, Vogue, New Look etc. The first ones I ever had using strong white were Jalie Patterns of Canada.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

elephun

Re: kwik sew patterns
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 01:41:27 AM »
Kwik Sew used to be on heavy white paper until they came under McCall's management.

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 11:09:25 AM »
Well I never, elephun. How long ago was that?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 16:28:55 PM »
Tissue patterns are one reason I hate using pins on them, if I decide I like the pattern and fine tuned it to fit I copy it onto heavy brown parcel paper, its much more durable than the tissue.

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 16:54:15 PM »
Palmer Pletsch have based their system on tissue fitting so I suppose there are lots whose preference is tissue. Can't suit all the people all the time.  -<

Zigzag

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 19:25:57 PM »
Thanks for all your knowledge.  I think the last K.S. pattern I purchased was a mens pyjama pattern and came printed on strong white paper.  My new dress pattern is not as generous regarding fitting.  I am petite upper body size and the pattern needs very little shortening and is a  close fit for the medium size. 
I will have a look at McCalls information on pattern altering.  You are all so kind to share your valuable knowledge.  Thank you  <3

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 19:45:14 PM »
They've been under McCalls for a while now.  Not sure exactly how long.

elephun

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 21:43:16 PM »
Well I never, elephun. How long ago was that?

Since late 2011. I had to look it up as I couldn't remember anything very specific. Here's a Threads article about the acquisition:
http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/23084/mccalls-and-kwik-sew-join-forces

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 14:13:30 PM »
Good grief, longer than I had realised! :o