The Sewing Place

Which sewing machine should I buy ???

Terri D

Which sewing machine should I buy ???
« on: August 05, 2021, 22:18:39 PM »
 Hello Boys and Girls  :thumbsup:
Newbie here, thanks for the add.

I'm looking to buy a Janome 5270QDC as a 25th wedding anniversary present for my wife. My budget is £750.
My wife is a very experienced machinist and a very talented crafter.
She would love to have an all singing, all dancing machine that does free motion embroidery, quilting, alphabet for tee shirts and much more,
but definitely fully computerised.

So really my question is ???  Is the Janome 5270QDC a good choice ?
Your opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
I know there are other makes but she's set on a Janome.  :loveit:

TIA,
Terri D.

Esme866

Re: Which sewing machine should I buy ???
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 06:28:08 AM »
I would strongly recommend you buy a cute little model of a sewing machine wrap it in a nice box, make a nice, loving "gift certificate" from you on your computer and present her with it all on the big day. Then let her choose which machine she wants. She knows better than anyone which " bells and whistles" she wants as she has so much experience.

It's a wonderful gift for a wonderful day, but I'd let her choose this one.

Congratulations for 25 years!

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 10:52:42 AM »
She's dead right @Terri D everybody has their favourite but as you know, one man's meat is another man's poison.

I got a nice fat cheque at Christmas to enable me to swap out my machines and get new (for an up and coming big fat birthday in the April).  Letting DH do  that for me would have been a disaster. As it is when I use that machine I have a bit fat smile on my face.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 11:14:21 AM »
The tiny model and let her choose by trying some out is a great idea.

For many years one of my sisters wanted a piano accordion. They were not well off and she was saving what she could. Her lovely OH bought her one for her birthday a number of years ago and, although thankful to have an instrument, it was not what she would have chosen. Obviously she never said a word to him. Eventually she was in a position to buy a superb quality accordion and explained to him that it was time to upgrade.

You never know, your wife might find something she likes even better than the Janome.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 11:21:59 AM »
Definitely let her choose.  Everyone here will have their favourite make and model of machine.  It’s not that one is better than another. 

So Chic

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 12:05:35 PM »
I like Esme’s suggestion as I feel that your wife will want to choose her own machine.  My OH bought me a machine as a wedding present and I hated it.  I sold it to a friend within a year and bought the machine I wanted.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 14:04:13 PM »
Agree about letting her choose though that machine has a lot of useful stuff thrown in, for the price (I don't quilt but use my extension table a lot) and if it's anything like my M50QDC in build, would be a workhorse.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Terri D

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 17:25:27 PM »
 :thumbsup: Thank you so much for all your replies. I will definitely follow your helpful advice.  :perfect10:

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 20:07:22 PM »
We have a couple of threads about favourite machines and some reviews somewhere ... anyone ??
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lilian

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 21:24:07 PM »
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2021, 09:02:51 AM »
Thats one of them ..... If you go for A Janome 9mm Machine and want the Quilting kit to go with (theyre not been offered as an inducement at the moment because of demand) I have a brand new, unused one for Sale!

(blatant advertising, I know!)  :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2021, 18:50:45 PM »
She would love to have an all singing, all dancing machine that does free motion embroidery, quilting, alphabet for tee shirts and much more,
but definitely fully computerised.

You need the bells and whistles for the alphabet, and the stretch stitch functions for tee shirt fabric but you don't need anything fancy to do free motion embroidery or quilting - even the most basic straight stitcher will do that, although a large space between the needle and the post of the machine is an advantage.

I agree with everyone who says give her the money and let her choose for herself.  If she doesn't already have one, given the budget of £750, she might well choose an overlocker (for the stretchy tees shirt fabrics etc) plus a more basic machine.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.