The Sewing Place

Sewing + Embroidery machine

Jo

Sewing + Embroidery machine
« on: June 04, 2017, 08:22:48 AM »
I am looking at buying a sewing + embroidery machine sometime this year.
Until now I've been looking only at Brother machines, but today have stumbled upon the Janome Atelier 9 and...oh my, be still my beating heart  <3 http://janome.co.uk/janome_products/atelier-9/
I was wondering if any of you had Janome machines and what you could tell me about them. It seems to have a lot more features than a brother in a similar price range.
Do Janome machine use snap on feet? Will I be able to use the feet I have for my current Brother machine?
Also, does it have a software for creating your own embroidery designs?

Iminei

Re: Sewing + Embroidery machine
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 09:48:44 AM »
I have the Atelier 5, aka The Splurge.... and I adore it!!!!  <3

The 9 seems to be a new model. I would look very carefully at the specs for the 9 as I found that The Atelier 7, which retails/ed at £500 more than The Splurge, only had an italicised font as a difference!! which seemed a lot to pay!
That is my recollection as someone was looking at it, Was it Fran ??? but I may well be wrong.

https://www.hobkirk.co.uk/janome-atelier-9-sewing-and-embroidery-machine?cat=67195

Just to tempt you   :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Jo

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 09:52:37 AM »
Imi, as far as I read both the 5 and the 7 are embroidery only while the 9 is a sewing + embroidery.
I'm looking to replace my current sewing machine so I need a machine that does sewing as well as embroidery.
I did see the price and am veeeery tempted  :loveit:

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 10:17:29 AM »
I've always had Brother machines, and love them.. but people speak highly of Janome
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Syrinx

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 10:26:04 AM »
I have a standard Janome and have done for years. It's great, easy to find a servicer and lots of feet. I've never had a problem and my standard is a bit of a beast and will happily rehem jeans and plow over the big seams without a problem so I'd assume the more fancy expensive Janomes are even better!

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 10:38:13 AM »
Like Syrinx, I have a standard Janome machine and I agree with everything she writes. Mine is a straightforward mechanical machine, I've had it for 4 or 5 years now, and it's great. Yes, it has snap-on feet, but I don't know whether Brother feet would be compatible with a Janome machine.
The Atelier machines are impressive. I occasionally look and dream, but I'm happy with what I've got.

Jo

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 11:13:52 AM »
I'm close to screaming!!!!  :D :D :D :D
Husband said I could get one for my birthday!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
 <3 <3 So excited!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 12:28:10 PM »
Lucky you!   Whatever you get will be great fun.  Brother are probably the most user friendly.  They also have a longer guarantee than Janome.  Feet aren't interchangeable but you might be able to use your current brother feet in a new model. 
Something worth thinking about is will you want to embroider and sew at the same time?   I have an embroidery machine but also have a separate sewing machine so that I sew while a long winded embroidery is going on.  Look at the size of the hoops too.  Both Janome and Brother have offers on all the time.  Brother change every couple of months and have just changed at the beginning of June.  Worth having a look to see what is available.  Offers will be the same everywhere.  Software does not come with the machines.  That has to be bought separately.  It is usually around £1000 for the full software regardless of make.  However, some offers may include free or reduced software on some machines.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 15:39:22 PM »
Imi, as far as I read both the 5 and the 7 are embroidery only while the 9 is a sewing + embroidery.

actually Jo, The Splurge and the 7 are just sewing machines with decorative stitches and a basic font but yes, on reading the 9 seems to have a proper embroidery feature....Drool.....

All the love of My Splurge with embroidery ... oooohhh, I think I need to go and have a lie down!

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 18:12:17 PM »
Janome Atelier 7 is my dream machine. I don't think I will ever afford one though.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 06:22:15 AM »
Why the 7 and not the 5, Fran ???

All it has extra (that I can see) from the 5 is an italicised font ???And £500 is a lot to pay for an italicised font!

Jo

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 06:27:24 AM »
Fran, maybe you could find a good priced second hand model?

One thing worries me about the Atelier 9: hoop size. How worried should I be about this? I don't know how much embroidery I'm going to do, but how much will a 17x20 cm hoop sizd affect me?
My other option would be a Brother V5. But to be honest Janome has a few more options that seem awesome, so I'd rather buy it if the hoop size isn't such a problem.

Syrinx

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 08:56:56 AM »
My Brother V3 (second hand, well third hand actually!) has a 30 by 18cm area which I frequently use. But then I'm lazy and if I don't have to move it around I won't. It also means when doing smaller pieces I can do lots in one go and cut them out after.

With embroidery it's always go for the biggest hoop size you can afford. If you don't do much embroidery then it's not so important. The V3 is purely an embroidery machine (though I envy the massive harp space when I'm quilting away on my micro Janome!)

Francesca

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 09:06:23 AM »
Why the 7 and not the 5, Fran ???

All it has extra (that I can see) from the 5 is an italicised font ???And £500 is a lot to pay for an italicised font!

Accufeed, nicer (imo) LCD screen, electronic rather than manual knee lifter, stitch composer, upload embroidery designs through USB... I think it has the auto presser foot up which I love, but no sure if 5 has that too (though it doesn't say in the brochure)

Jo

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 09:18:13 AM »
Syrinx, I was looking at V5 which also has sewing capabilities and could get at a similar price and it has a huge hoop. But honestly, I feel the Janome is a better value for money.
Now my only problem is: do I get it from the UK? How likely am I to need servicing during the warranty period?
There is a Romanian Janome dealer, I've sent them an email asking if I could order it through them, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow for a reply because today is a bank holiday.
I've never done embroidery before. How hard is it to do a design bigger than your hoop? Is realigning/rehooping easy?

Fran, those are also features that draw me towards Janome. From what it says online, the 5 doesn't have a touch screen LCD while the 7 does. Not sure how useful that is tho.