The Sewing Place

Sewing + Embroidery machine

Acorn

Re: Sewing + Embroidery machine
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2017, 18:19:51 PM »
Well done Jo - and that means that you do have a new machine to play with, even if you have to wait for the embroidery unit.   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2017, 08:14:18 AM »
Excellent!
Im so pleased that you have a beautiful part Splurge to play with whilst you wait for all the bells and whistles to arrive.

I shouldn't expect you have to wait anything like the amount of time you did before either ...
now you are more than just an order number!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Jo

« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2017, 09:01:53 AM »
Yes it does! :)
The machine is lovely, and it does have loads of bells and whistles compared to my old machine.
The only thing I'm afraid of is that it might have a fault I have not discovered  :S Is that a legitimate fear? Any way to test everything and make sure it's in working order?

toileandtrouble

« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2017, 10:09:25 AM »
I always get some scrap fabric and work through the manual, trying everything, just to find out what a new machine does. I try all the stitches and see how they change with length and width etc.  I suppose that would also flag up any problems, but I hope there won't be any.  Enjoy it!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Acorn

« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2017, 11:55:36 AM »
I jumped straight in with the embroidery side of my machine, and it really would have been more sensible to have started with the sewing basics.  I am now pretty well up to speed with what it can do embroidery-wise, but when I wanted to set it up to do a straightforward twin needle topstitch a few days ago (which I only did because my other machineseems to have taken a dislike to twin needle sewing) I had to start from scratch.

I ought to exercise some discipline and get to know it as a sewing machine, but... embroidery!!!   0_0

Iminei

« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2017, 12:00:37 PM »
Im sure there wont be, but can understand your fear after your recent experience!

Regarding TaT's  suggestion, I have know peeps who make a stitch bible for their machines..

sewing a line of stitches for designs available, changing width, length etc on the decorative ones to see how they go and marking down the settings by each line of stitch.

They then compile a fabric book of these which they can then refer back to at their will.

Jo

« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2017, 12:52:18 PM »
Thanks all for your suggestions! :)
Not sure I'll be making a stitch bible, because oh-so-lazy, but will try some various stitches to see how it does.
So far I'm quite pleased. Been playing with some silk today and am quite pleased with the results.
Haven't made a video of unboxing, I was quite upset when I saw all the broken styrofoam - no need to have that on video :)
However, if anyone's interested, I can make a video with the machine features.

Jo

« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2017, 18:39:51 PM »
Got word from the dealer: embroidery unit is defective, could have happened during shipping, they couldn't fix it and are sending me a new one :)
+ a good discount on an extension table.
I have to say I'm very happy with them.
Other than that, the machine is just amazing and I'm loving it. Have yet to go through the hole manual, but normal sewing and buttonholes are awesome!

Iminei

« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2017, 19:25:31 PM »
 :D

Acorn

« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2017, 19:48:42 PM »
Soon soon soon!!!   :D

Jo

« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2017, 19:04:34 PM »
Well, my embroidery unit finally arrived!!! :) So exciting!
I've stitched two test designs, both turned out really well :) I now need to buy some stabilizer though. Most of the things I want to embroider are stretchy, and it seems I need some cut away stabilizer. Any advice?
I wanted to order from embroideredjust4u.co.uk, but I've noticed that ordering is not available until Sunday (which Sunday tho?!).
Edit: it seams Sunday the 20th, so I'll wait until Monday to place an order. She seems to have a great assorment of stabilizers and decent prices.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 19:07:30 PM by Jo »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2017, 19:38:34 PM »
I usually use Floriani no show fusible mesh on the back of the fabric, slightly bigger than the design.  I like to hoop my cutaway and then baste my knit garment rather than hooping it.  I don't like the marks it leaves.   The fusible mesh stabilises the knit and stops it stretching.  Cutaway is great on denser designs. 

Iminei

« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2017, 10:07:09 AM »
PICS!!!

Sewbee

« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2017, 18:23:01 PM »
I have the Atelier 5, aka The Splurge.... and I adore it!!!!  <3

The 9 seems to be a new model. I would look very carefully at the specs for the 9 as I found that The Atelier 7, which retails/ed at £500 more than The Splurge, only had an italicised font as a difference!! which seemed a lot to pay!
That is my recollection as someone was looking at it, Was it Fran ??? but I may well be wrong.

https://www.hobkirk.co.uk/janome-atelier-9-sewing-and-embroidery-machine?cat=67195

Just to tempt you   :devil:

Funnily, Imi, it's the Atelier 5 that dealer number two suggested to me but I ended up going with a Bernina from dealer number one. I only chose a Bernina because it's what I have used for the last 35 years but the Atelier 5 looks really, really nice!

Iminei

« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2017, 19:36:47 PM »
it is ... i adore it!