The Sewing Place

Sewing + Embroidery machine

Jo

Re: Sewing + Embroidery machine
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2017, 09:50:40 AM »
Acorn, would if I could. Unfortunately not that many videos of Skyline S9. But I have been watching videos of MC15000 because some of the features on it are also on the S9.
But after almost 3 weeks I've kinda watched them all at least twice :D
Alas, some good news: received a call from the distribuitor to disclose what the misunderstanding was. Turns out their supplier had a showroom machine that could ship next week. When they mentioned (after 2 weeks of waiting) that it was a showroom machine, the local guys denied, as they couldn't sell a showroom machine as a new one (would have been really pissed if they did). So the supplier offered a 5% discount and they called me to ask if it would be ok. I would have jumped for joy, cept I wasn't feeling all to well so I was only happy in my head a little bit :D I agreed to take the showroom machine if everything's allright with it. Should have haggled a bit more, but tbh didn't have the energy.
I'm now keeping my fingers crossed that it actually arrives next week :)

Acorn

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2017, 10:48:14 AM »
Brilliant!!   0_0  I hope that has made you feel a bit better, even if you're not up to jumping about.

Craftsy have a free machine embroidery class - here.

I have chosen my embroidery machine, but have to wait a little while before I order it.   >< 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Jo

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2017, 11:05:07 AM »
Oh, great, thank you about the tip about the class :)
I do feel better, it was just a "I don't feel so good today" day. I'm not jumping for joy yet as it wouldn't be the first time delivery was postponed, I don't want to be disappointed again. But I am happy :D
What have you chosen?

Acorn

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2017, 11:52:31 AM »
A Husqvarna Topaz 25 - I felt it call to me...   :)

I just hope the good deal is still available when I'm ready to order, or it'll be back to the drawing board.

Jo

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2017, 08:04:36 AM »
It's wonderful! I didn't even look at Husqvarna because there I don't think it's imported here (or at least I've never seen it anywhere) and would have trouble with warranty and service. But they are lovely machines, at least from specifications.
What do you plan to embroider?
My first project will be more sewing automation than embroidery. I would like to make eye masks for sleeping, but a bit different in shape than your average sleep mask. Kind of like this one.
I have made several for friends and family, they turned out great and are lovely. But it takes a long time to do one if I'm very precise, so I'd like to try and make it in the hoop. Well, sort of :) It will require two hooping probably, but should be a breeze with Janome's alignement software.
I'd also like to add a personal touch with embroidery.
Holistic Silk sells the one in the picture, but at 52 GBP a piece, I feel it's too expensive for what it actually is.
Depending on how it will turn out, I might actually consider selling them too (and not for 52 GBP, because let's be honest, how many of these could you make with that amount?).

Iminei

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2017, 08:09:36 AM »
Holistic Silk sells the one in the picture, but at 52 GBP a piece,

:o !!!!  :S

Just spluttered my morning berocca all over the screen!!!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Jo

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2017, 08:16:19 AM »
I know, right?!
I'm all for paying good money for a good product, but these are quite a distance from a fair price. I did cave in and got one  when they had a sale, at about 25 or 30 gbp (still very expensive) - it's a great size and blocks almost all light (the smaller ones still let light in near the nose), but why on earth would it be so expensive?
So I thought to myself...heck, I could make one of these, and for a lot cheaper too! Hence I bought me a sewing machine and learned sewing. Pretty sure I invested more than 52 gbp  0_0

Iminei

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2017, 08:31:08 AM »
So excited for you about your Splurge .... got me hankering for one.

Early last year I started a Block of the Day with Susan Clare aka The Gourmet Quilter.

I lasted a month or so (Oh the shame!) as it was incredibly fiddly ( not that that was the main cause for me dropping out, more the fiddly biddly mess, which I, as I work in the dining room  had to clear up and away every time)

A lot of the girls who did this were digitising their blocks on their embroidery machines and they were absolutely fabulous and I ached with envy every time I saw them on the FB page.

This was how far I got....

https://goo.gl/photos/Yaw6aGKryjQbrehp6

the inner rows were to SC specifications but then I got above myself and started making my own designs and then my town... which ultimately did for me as I realised I had bitten off waaaaay more than i could chew!!!

Jo

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »
DEAR LORD!!!!  :\ :\ I didn't even know you could do something like this  0_0 It's like painting...but with fabric!  :o
Clothes are so much easier!  :D

Iminei

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2017, 09:33:06 AM »
This is one of the digitised girls quilts.....

and another .....

They say it took a lot of time to digitise but once you worked out how, and you have enough to practice on, 365 blocks, it became easy...

You can see the difference between the digitised and mine, plain applique!

These quilts are winning awards at shows all over the world now!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 09:39:27 AM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2017, 10:26:38 AM »
I've never heard of anyone ever using a sleep mask ??  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »
Imi, that top quilt is incredible!  I do love the individual blocks for the bottom one, but it's making my head hurt put together.  Your blocks are really wonderful - did you put them together into anything?  You've got my creative juices flowing, but I really must try not to start planning any more projects until I've completed some...

I am hoping to be able to do some quilting with my embroidery machine, but nothing that complicated.  I found a site that sells lovely quilting patterns for machines - feathery or leafy designs, just the sort of thing I'm too scared to do by FMQ.  Unfortunately, idiot that I am, I didn't bookmark it and haven't the faintest idea how I got there.

I am going to embroider everything.   :D  I opened the curtains this morning and thought 'embroidered curtains!'  Mostly, though, adding a bit of design to clothes.  I'm particularly partial to embroidery on denim.

Jo, those sleep masks are gorgeous - and the advantage of making something like that is that you can use the most glorious fabrics because you're using so little.  Lovely idea.  (Oh, and £52...  :o )
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:41:22 AM by Acorn »

Jo

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2017, 10:42:00 AM »
Lowena, light must not bother you in the morning then  0_0
I don't usually use them at home, as I have black out blinds. But I use them on planes/trains/hotels etc. as I am very sensitive to light and it has to be pitch black for me to fall asleep. I know many people that use them, especially those that travel often.
Acorn, maybe http://www.urbanthreads.com/ or http://www.emblibrary.com ? These have a ton!
I'm also looking forward to doing some trapunto, I just LOVE it, but like you, I haven't got the guts to try free motion.

Tamnymore

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2017, 10:44:43 AM »
I agree. Sleep masks,  even ordinary ones, are so useful if you are staying somewhere where the curtains don't have blackout lining and/or the place is floodlit outside at night (like my MiL's flat). DH says it's like sleeping with the Lone Ranger! A fancy one would be nice.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:47:16 AM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2017, 10:48:51 AM »

I'm particularly partial to embroidery on denim.

Now there's a thought...
I must finish the jacket I'm making and get some (slightly different to normal) denim cut out and do some embroidery on it - it's a stretchy fabric (as are all fabrics I use!) and it's just a little odd, but should be ok for trousers or maybe 3/4 length, not sure which yet.