The Sewing Place

Sewing + Embroidery machine

Syrinx

Re: Sewing + Embroidery machine
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 09:30:51 AM »
If you place your design well then it's not too hard to move and rehoop. But it takes practice and it's a case of wiggling your needle position until it's in the right place. My brother shows you where in the stitch out it is and you can also send it back a few stitches. The biggest worry for me is having to move wiggly fabric which meght shift, even with all the stabiliser in the world. Once you get the hang it's fine, though annoying.

They need sevicing every 6 months - half a million stitches but you can leave it longer. But there are quite a few service people around for various brands. My local guy doesn't service embroidery machines but recommended someone else. Local guy still gets my Janome in every year to service and clean. Even when it's full of quilting fluff he doesn't tell me off!

Generally your software will help you split the design in half in a good place. And your machine will tell you if you've hooped up too small and need to rehoop bigger or split the design.

Jo

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 09:50:47 AM »
Thank you! That clarifies things a bit.
Looks like I might have to get it locally, sending it back to the Uk every six months is not an option for me :(

Syrinx

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 10:33:10 AM »
It depends how much you use it really. You can have it serviced every million stitches. For heavy heavy use they recommend 6 months, but if you're not using it for hours every day the usual yearly service (or service when a problem happens!) is fine :)

And I've always serviced machines wherever I fancy, so if there's a local person who'll do it, no need to send it back to the UK.

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 11:17:28 AM »
auto presser foot up

youwhatwhat ???

I hadn't realised it had acufeed, so yes that would be a noticeable extra and a big difference in price...my bad!

If I had a magic wand Fran...I would whisk one to you!!! if only!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Jo

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 11:31:05 AM »
Is the Acufeed much different from a normal walking foot?

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 11:51:59 AM »
I have the Brother equivalent of Accufeed. It is very useful, especially if, like me, you don't get on with a walking foot.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 13:14:11 PM »
Jo,
can i come over and unpack it with you when you do buy...

V excited!!!

Jo

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 14:06:01 PM »
But of course you can!  :D There's a direct flight from London, only 2.5 hours or so 8)
If anyone is actually interested, I could do an unboxing/first try video  :sew:

Iminei

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 14:20:06 PM »
I could do an unboxing/first try video

https://youtu.be/N-Esh4W3dfI?t=9

Jo

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 07:11:37 AM »
Spoke to my local Janome dealer today. He said the machine is not in stock and that he just ordered a bunch of machines not too long ago so the chances of renewing his stock soon are well...not so big.
He said to give him some time to make some calls and see if he can bring it (tho it's a bit difficult since Janome has an agreement that forces sellers to only sell in their country). Not keeping my hopes up tho.
My other option is sewingmachines.co.uk. They said it's no problem I'm from Romania as long as the shipping addrss is in the Uk. So I'll have to ship it to the Uk to a freight forwarder and from there to me.
My question (and terror) is: how likely is it that the machine would get damaged in transit? I know they're pretty well packed but still...is this a legitimate fear? I will have to give up the warranty...sort of. Will only send it to the Uk if I REALLY REALLY must. Otherwise the local Janome dealer said he would ofer paid service, so that's a plus.

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 07:34:29 AM »
Can the local dealer add to his order from Janome ?? or has it already been delivered to him ?
Can you not call Janome Customer services ? Are they not from Germany in the first place ?
Whenever I have contacted customer services or accessories (in UK) they could not have been more helpful

Or could you not come over to the UK and buy here...maybe from FOQ... ???
(Let J know you are coming and what you want to buy and take away as I think the more expensive machines are on an order basis and you would be back at Sq 1)

Or is there some sort of electrical element to this purchase?

Jo

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 07:44:44 AM »
I'm afraid it's already been delivered. Anyways, I'll just wait for his phone call to see what he replies.

I could come to the Uk and buy it, but then I'd have to transport it home by plane, and that wouldn't be safer in my book :D
No idea where Janome customer service is based, but I might not be able to buy it anyway. Certain models are for specific countries only (like the Atelier 9 for the UK :D), so don't think they'd be of much help.
Plus, it's about 300 euro more in Germany, I'd rahter buy other goodies worth that amount. And I'd still have to ship it to Romania.
The freight forwarder I was talking about is quite alright, it wouldn't be my first time working with him. Although this would be the most expensive and fragile item I'd send through them by far.

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 10:57:52 AM »
They are packaged very well and if size isnt a problem with the courier,
you could always double package it within another box/ packing case.

So are the electrics compatible with Roumania ?? (says she thinking of strange two pin plugs from foreign holidays past)

Jo

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »
That's really no problem as both the Uk and Romania are on 220V. I just have to use an adapter, but I have plenty of those as I have many UK appliances.

Jo

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2017, 12:48:13 PM »
Just recieved a reply from the local dealer: they can order it for me but it's going to take 2-3 weeks.
On the plus side: a lower price + warranty if I need it.
Now if only I weren't so impatient *sigh*. I will have to wait and dream until then  :D
And maybe put my machine up for sale (a Brother Innov-is NV35 - I wonder how much I could ask for it?).