The Sewing Place

Burda 126 03-2018

b15erk

Burda 126 03-2018
« on: August 10, 2021, 20:47:48 PM »
I'm just about ready to throw the towel in with the back vent on this jacket.   :headbang:

The instructions are sparse, as Burda patterns always are, but also confusing, as I'm sure some of the measurements are wrong eg On the left back trim the vent facing to 4.5cm (7/8") wide, and press to inside:rolleyes: :S

I will have another go tomorrow, but after that, I'll be altering the vent to suit one that I understand... :rant:

The worst thing is, I made a complete toile back in January, and all went really well.  I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing wrong... :boohoo: :boohoo:

Any suggestions???  :boohoo:  :headbang:

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Flobear

Re: Burda 126 03-2018
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 09:10:58 AM »
Sorry, can't help with a jacket vent but measurement is clearly wrong as you noticed yourself. 4.5cm is an inch and three quarters.
Have you still got the toile? If so, wouldn't it help to look at what you did there?
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 09:58:05 AM »
On the left back trim the vent facing to 4.5cm (7/8") wide, and press to inside:rolleyes: :S

Burda is Russian - something is telling me that they used to have a completely different set of units of measurement to metric or imperial - maybe someone was using that.

Yes, they did!
https://www.rbth.com/education/332739-russian-measure-units
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 10:26:48 AM »
It would seem I'm bigger than your average Russian  :laughing:

Anyone else been measuring themselves, or just me?  :laughing:

dolcevita

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 17:47:57 PM »
@b15erk

Hi Jessie, I've had a look at the pattern piece in my copy of the magazine and the 4.5cm is correct, but badly explained.

The left and right back pieces are the same, and each has an extension of 6cm in total for the vent. There is a vertical line running down the extension at the 3cm point.

The left vent gets turned in along the centre back line and then is trimmed to 4.5cm. This will give 1.5cm to lie under the lining once you've tacked it to the back, and a finished, exposed vent underlap of 3cm. If you look at the shape of the back lining in the vent area, you can see that it is indented to take into account the turned in vent underlap.

Don't give up! You're nearly there and it's a nice way to finish a vent. Let me know if you need any more instructions for it, although my copy is in German!

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 19:06:12 PM »
Thank you all so very much!  @dolcevita I may well take you up on the help - I'm absolutely foxed!

I'm so sorry I'm very later getting back on this thread, but I've had the Carpet Men here, and as there has been no internet, I've been gardening, and cooking.  Then there was the mother of all clean ups, and hauling furniture around - not to mention the 5 ton Dyson!  It has to go!

Tomorrow I will be back on it - albeit with pains and aches...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

dolcevita

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 21:21:29 PM »
Hi Jessie, I've sketched out some instructions. Drawing has never been a great skill of mine, but hopefully the diagrams will make things a bit clearer for you.

I've shown the left and right back separately, but the vent will be formed after the centre back seam between the neck and the top of the vent are joined. Once you've made the vent, the lining will go straight down onto the left and right side and you can just slip stitch it in place.

Shout if you need anything more.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 18:49:13 PM »
That's a very comprehensive explanation!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 19:16:58 PM »
@dolcevita - thank you, thank you!!  <3

It's the first chance I've had to have a proper look at your drawings, and I'm sure I can make it work from them.  It was so kind of you to take the time to do this!! :toast: :perfect10: :flower:

Now I have to get some energy from somewhere... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 14:07:14 PM »
It seems a long time since I came to a halt with the vent on Theo's jacket.  I couldn't understand why I couldn't do it as the Toile had gone together fine - @Flobear .  Well, turns out I didn't line the Toile... :|  Then the Vent itself  stopped making sense - thank you so much @dolcevita for the great diagram, I've printed and kept it safe...

It was about then I started feeling unwell, so that explains a lot.

I was tring to keep myself busy today, waiting for results, and at about the 6th attempt, I believe I have done it!!

Please do tell me if there is anything I can improve, before I go in and change the pattern.

Jessie

eta I know about the snip - it's annoying, but only a practise piece.

dolcevita

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 14:30:48 PM »
That looks perfect to me!

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 14:35:00 PM »
Beautifully perfect  :D
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Flobear

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2021, 17:32:07 PM »
Just how a vent should look  :thumbsup:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Silver Rose

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2021, 17:35:44 PM »
Beautifully done.
Still learning

Flobear