The Sewing Place

The shirt from hell!

Tiggy

The shirt from hell!
« on: August 11, 2021, 11:02:26 AM »
So!  I decided to make myself a new shirt.  My new, baby grandson was one week old.  I didn’t know that ‘baby brain’ happened to Grandma’s.

I had some 1” squared gingham, I matched all the rows up and was quite chuffed with myself for remembering to do that.  I wish I had remembered to put the back piece on the fold which is where it was supposed to be.  I managed to lay the shirt front piece on the fabric very economically.  It was when I was cutting it out that I realised it was totally off the vertical, by about 30 degrees!  So I needed to cut out 2more fronts.  This was when I realised I hadn’t put the back on the fold and now couldn’t.  So I added seam allowances and cut it out.  By now, I didn’t have enough fabric left for the sleeves, so I made facings for the armholes and went sleeveless.

I decided to make ties for the back so that it had an open back seam and would be nice and airy.  Shame I didn’t get them on evenly.  Cue, the unpicker.  I made the facings and went to attach them.  One went on wonderfully, the other one seemed to be inside out, like I’d made 2 left facings.  I hadn’t, what I had done was sew one side seam right sides together, and the other side was wrong sides together.  More unpicking.  Odd how that facing now went on beautifully.

Today, I have hemmed it and now it just needs buttonholes and buttons.  It has also had the mother of all haircuts because of all the loose threads from all the unpicking.

Oddly, it looks ok.  I just don’t love it.  Maybe when I recover from it’s traumatic birth, I’ll feel happier about it.  I’ll give it a stroke, and another look in a few days when I’ve bought some nice buttons.
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Surest1tch

Re: The shirt from hell!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 11:39:26 AM »
I'm sure it'll look great  :thumbsup:.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 11:48:42 AM »
I hadn’t, what I had done was sew one side seam right sides together, and the other side was wrong sides together.  More unpicking.  Odd how that facing now went on beautifully.

That’s what I did the other day @Tiggy.  Luckily only a toile but I’d hoped it might be sort of wearable if only round the house.   Of course I'd matched the stripes impeccably!   :rolleyes:

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 19:38:02 PM »
@Tiggy it will probably end up being the one that you wear to death.
Life's too short for ironing.

jen

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 13:49:39 PM »
Sorry, but I laughed.  :D Don’t we just all know those projects ! I bet you do get to enjoy it in the end though.