The Sewing Place

How to price a machine

Bill

How to price a machine
« on: August 12, 2021, 13:29:33 PM »
How do you do it?
I've a new machine turning up tomorrow if I'm lucky and so I need to rid my self of a few. The A150 certainly as it's selling price goes towards paying off the new one.
Ebay advice says this model goes for £200 ish 2nd hand. But it's only a few months old and in near brand new condition...plus the extension table and a walking foot included. That's near £550 new! And I sposed to be happy with 200 squid? Pah!
Any help here please!
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Renegade Sewist

Re: How to price a machine
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 14:58:36 PM »
@Bill , it's used. Once you took it out of the box, threaded it up and stitched a seam it became a used machine.

Compare it to buying a car. Once the shiny new car crosses the curb from the dealership and touches the road it's a used car. You wouldn't want to pay close to new price would you? Even if it's only a few months old?  No? I thought not. You might be able to get 60% to 70% of original price if it's pristine I'm thinking in the 350 to 400 range. Maybe some of our friends with dealership experience can give you a more optimistic answer.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bill

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 17:01:59 PM »
Oh I'm not expecting new prices for it obviously. But £200 seems a paltry amount. And that was a high end price they quoted. Starting bid was suggested as £134.  :scream:

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 17:02:39 PM »
I'm not too sure how to word this without sounding too blunt but here goes. I think it's usually around 50% of the new purchase price depending on age and condition but if it's a machine that's no longer available you'll likely get more for it. I know if it was something I really, really wanted I'd pay over the odds for it.
Sorry if that's too blunt, I truly didn't mean to cause any offence.

Bill

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 17:12:28 PM »
No no, I prefer honest answers. No offense taken  :)

Cazlyn

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 17:28:09 PM »
Hi Bill, I’m no expert at all but have you tried selling it locally?  Maybe on the local Facebay or whatever it’s called.  Did you try to part exchange it with your new one?  What’s the new machine you’re getting?
Crafting is my happy place

dolcevita

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 17:29:30 PM »
There's one currently for sale on ebay at £275, a buy price rather than an auction. The blurb says that it's hardly been used and is in nearly new condition, so that's your competition. It depends on how quickly you want to sell it, I suppose, but I'd be inclined to hang on for a little while if you can. Summer holidays isn't a great time for selling something that is related to an indoor hobby and lots of courses start in September, so it could be worth waiting for a few weeks.

Bill

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 18:05:32 PM »
Haven't tried locally, or anywhere as yet. It's going no where till the new one turns up.
I think I'll take @dolcevita s advice and wait a while. Then maybe auction on fleabay. With a reserve. I'm thinking £250 with the extension and walking foot all in their original packaging?
My new toy (if the courier doesn't mess up) should be here tomorrow. The est delivery date stated Monday 16 but it's a next day company...so I'm optimistic. Foolishly maybe.
I'll unveil it then  :P :D

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 18:10:48 PM »
I think if you are selling on Ebay and want a good price you need to write a 'story' @Bill .  I see a lot for sale where just a blunt description which doesn't entice.  When people buy a sewing machine second hand they need to see comforting words. Immaculate as new condition, only 6 months old, full set of tools and feet, etc., selling because upgrading and the reason why.  Get some really good pictures done and in a good light.  I saw one advertised with all the pictures of the back of the machine.

In my opinion Ebay just want their commission quick. The one I sold they told me the average price and I put down what I wanted, despite many messages about recommending reducing the price.  If you know it's value just hang on.  I  actually sold mine very quickly.

What you have  to remember is once it's gone you are not offering a guarantee so that knocks a £100 off it.  If the machine was virtually new and I really wanted that machine., I'd buy.

For preference I like Preloved, and if you go for full registration, a fiver, you can have many pictures.

Also offer a courier, especially if you have the machine's original packing.  Make sure it's fully insured, an extra cost that people accept.  Using PayPal for receipt of the money there are charges because you can't use friends and family as people want to feel their money is safe.

If someone wants to collect, expect them to want a demo. 

Very often the way you advertise a machine can give it that extra edge on a blunt description.

Maybe someone in your circle of friends would be interested.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Esme866

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 03:50:24 AM »
It's a modern day plastic fantastic. I would personally never purchase one that sold new for 550 for more than 200. No matter what - it's used. Warranties usually only extend to the original owner and warranties for machines ordered via the internet are dicey at best. Once used, there's no way for a buyer to know if they are purchasing a problematic machine that will need a $200/£200 trip to the shop for maintenance. Add to that the all too real possibility of damage during shipping of an ebay sell.....Honestly, $75+shipping would be my limit.

There are people that think differently that may very well pay more (if they know less about machones), but I'd expect a 275 price to take a while to move. Unless the internet is buzzing about how wonderful this machine is, I don't see that happening quickly. Remember, you bought the machine and aren't satisfied. Why not? Many people that buy used machines no longer shop ebay, as shipping damage is far too common - even with the old iron dinosaurs.

Can you get a decent trade-in from a dealer? A person buying a new machine used, from a dealer, could probably expect a 30 to 60 day warranty. I'd be much more inclined to pay 50% - 60% of purchase price under those conditions myself.

Sewbusy

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2021, 09:38:16 AM »
When the GBSB TV programme is in full flow then you do tend to get more interest in machines and during the lockdown period supplies and stock of new machines was very depleted resulting in some instances of used machines being sold and reaching some very inflated prices.

New machines are getting easier to source and many would be purchasers will opt for a new machine with guaranteed (very important for some) availability of finance.

There are newcomers to sewing who want a machine with as many stitches as possible plus all the newer innovations, built in needle threader, needle up/down etc.They may purchase a machine that purports to do 'everything' and don't understand that the user must possess  a certain knowledge to enable this.

Many of new facilities are useful, till they fail to function as they often do with even the higher end ranges!

Just my way of looking at pre-owned sewing machine sales. I'm sure other members have valid opinions.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2021, 11:18:41 AM »
@Bill You mentioned on the other thread the price of your new machine that was an ex demo. My question would be, why did you buy an ex demo from a shop when you could have bought it from Ebay?
It is the same for other buyers.  From a shop you expect a certain level of service that includes a guarantee and the ability to return if it doesn't work properly.  That is why the price is not as high as you would hope on Ebay for a second hand machine, irrespective of how new it is.
Also, shops give many incentives, my new machine came complete with £100 of free accessories and £50 off the purchase price from a dealer (which included an extension table).  You would therefore not be able to factor into the price the extension table or walking foot.
You could try selling the machine and accessories separately which may give you a better return, but then you have to pay for double listing.
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bill

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2021, 11:34:54 AM »
@Bill You mentioned on the other thread the price of your new machine that was an ex demo. My question would be, why did you buy an ex demo from a shop when you could have bought it from Ebay?

Umm...I did buy it from eBay as an ex demo  :)

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2021, 12:15:22 PM »
@Bill You are a braver man than me... but then I am not a  man :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

SkoutSews

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2021, 18:49:48 PM »
I've sold a couple of machines through Gumtree.  For pricing, 1) I looked at what other sellers were asking, 2) did a rough calculation of one-half to two-thirds of what I'd paid for it and 3) added a bit on to the figure I decided on to allow for a negotiation margin.  The Gumtree sales were quick and successful.  Pre-Covid, the purchasers were able to come and try the machines before they paid their cash.

Good luck!