The Sewing Place

Brother Innov-is 1800Q

Bill

Brother Innov-is 1800Q
« on: August 13, 2021, 09:12:21 AM »
Hopefully arriving today!
It's an ex demo but the seller says it has all the bits and bobs included and a one year guarantee. I'm £999 further in debt but I hope it's worth it.
Why? Well there's nothing wrong with the A150 but it does lack lower case lettering which really pigged me off when I did the cafe seat covers and table cloths. I also struggled doing my mums quilt due to a lack of throat space...but that's probably more user error as the rest of you seem to cope with non long arm machines. I'm perfectly happy to admit that when this new toy arrives I'll have all the gear and no idea. But at least it hasn't turned out to be a covid distraction. I actually love sewing! Who knew?  :faints:

Awaiting comments from @Lowena as I know she has one too :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 09:14:42 AM by Bill »
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Gernella

Re: Brother Innov-is 1800Q
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 10:18:07 AM »
Just had a look at that big boy on SMD @Bill , according to them a price rise in September and going up to £1349.  Nice looking machine though.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Cazlyn

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 11:52:18 AM »
Hi @Bill, I’ve bought the same machine this week!  It turned up on Tuesday and I’ve had a little play and loving it so far.  Like you I wanted a machine with more throat space, I did look at the 1300 but once I’d bought all the extras I would need for quilting etc, the price would have crept up to nearly the price of the 1800. So I got it.  Feeling really guilty about the expense but I could have an argument with a bus tomorrow...if I do I’ll make sure t’other half advertises it on here for one of you.
Crafting is my happy place

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 12:58:45 PM »
Yes, I bought that machine brand new from The Sewing Studio in Redruth, when I lived in Cornwall. I've had it about 5 yrs.
I love it!! but I only do patchwork and quilting, plus simple stuff like cushions....
The only tiny fly in the ointment is that the thread cutter cuts the thread shorter than I'd like so that sometimes the needle then unthreads itself  :( I've not found any way round it so don't tend to use the cutter much  :(
Other than that, it's a great machine......enjoy  :sew: :sew:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 14:01:53 PM »
This looks like a really nice and useful machine, your post reminded me that when I retired I promised myself a new machine, don’t need one but maybe a little looksy wouldn’t hurt :devil: :thinking: :devil:

Bill

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 15:00:42 PM »
On the cycling forum a few years ago we had a member called Vernon. He'd been a teacher his whole life, spending pretty much every spare moment doing what he could to give his students the best chance of a good life.
He did do a lot of cycling though. One promise he made to himself was to go cycle touring when he retired. Told the whole forum about his plans.
And so eventually he retired. Same week he had a heart attack which killed him.
True story that.
A bunch of us decided there and then not to put off doing what we loved.
Splash out and spoil yourself @Celia
Nobody knows what's around the corner. Xx

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 16:15:10 PM »
I didn't need one @Celia but in the end I got two, selling three to get the required amount plus a Christmas  cheque.  Every time I sit in front of it I smile, much more than what I need but who cares.

I'm definitely on the side of splash out and spoil yourself @Bill 
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 16:31:31 PM »
I have never felt the need for more than one machine. I won't waste money on things which are not used regularly and frequently.
My machine does everything I want and doesn't eat up useful space.
I hate underuse....that's why I have no stash of fabric, only 2 reels of thread and a few needles.
If I should pop off tomorrow I wouldn't leave much clutter behind  :D

Celia

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 16:49:05 PM »
OK I can see both sides of this argument, I definitely don’t need a new sewing machine I have 3 but I am in the mood to spoil myself but it might not be a sewing machine :devil:

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 10:37:48 AM »
Has that machine arrived yet @Bill because I love looking at pretty pictures of machines.

Bill

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 11:17:17 AM »
Has that machine arrived yet @Bill because I love looking at pretty pictures of machines.

It arrived yesterday morning :) Love it to bits :)
I'll stick some pics up later today. Off to north Wales with Pam atm dropping her ex husband and son off for a caravan holiday. X

Bill

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2021, 13:41:58 PM »
A question!
Does anyone know if it's possible to lower the presser foot manually, not with the knee thingybob?
The auto button thing works fine but I like to hover the presser foot as I position the fabric under it. Can't do that with the button and trying to move the lever by hand feels like it's stuck.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2021, 15:10:58 PM »
I'm sorry I can't help @Bill as I only use the foot pedal and have never even taken the "knee lift thingy" out of it's packaging.
You can't use the auto button with the foot pedal and have to do it manually
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 15:12:31 PM by Lowena »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2021, 16:18:34 PM »
Yes @Bill you use the presser foot lever.  The button makes it quick and easy for some people but the lever gives you the control if that’s what you prefer.  I don’t have one on my Husqvarna machines at all!  :)  But I can hover the foot just above the fabric. 

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2021, 16:48:28 PM »
I’ve got the 1300 and I use the knee lift lever constantly for manouvering the fabric about under the presser foot. One of my three ‘essentials’ when buying a sewing machine. That and a decent threader and an automatic thread cutter.

I find the lifter at the back of the presser foot is quite firm, so I rarely use it.

Also, quick tip:
if you need to remove the metal needle plate cover to clean the fluff out, open the front of the accessories box before you try to get the plate out.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 16:50:21 PM by WildAtlanticWay »