The Sewing Place

Brother Innov-is 1800Q

Lowena

Re: Brother Innov-is 1800Q
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2021, 15:26:39 PM »
I can't see me ever  having the need to use it @Bill but I'm glad  you're exploring.....It's a lovely machine I think :sew:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

SkoutSews

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2021, 15:39:18 PM »
I started using the knee lifter when I was batch-sewing face masks. It speeded up the process no end. I leave it on the machine now and use it all the time.

I wouldn't describe it as a 'knock' @Bill, more of a push with the side of my knee, as much as is required to move the fabric. I always lower the presser foot by hand to start with.

Lachica

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2021, 16:40:38 PM »
A knee lifter came with the Euphoria coverstitch but I haven't tried it yet. The machine will need to be on the edge of the desk on the kneehole section to be able to use it. My Pfaff presser foot lifts automatically when the foot pedal is released, it's brilliant for stitching very, very slowly or even just for turning corners.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

SkoutSews

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2021, 22:21:26 PM »
@Bill I tried pushing the knee lifter to lower the presser foot as you described and it works!  Thanks, I wouldn't have known it did that if you hadn't mentioned it.

Bill

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2021, 22:26:12 PM »
That's probably the first time I've helped someone here!  :laughing:
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Bill

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2021, 13:13:10 PM »

The only tiny fly in the ointment is that the thread cutter cuts the thread shorter than I'd like so that sometimes the needle then unthreads itself 

I've had no problems with the thread cutter so far. It leaves 2 inches of thread from the needle eyelet.

Yep you were right @Lowena
The bugger has unthreaded itself numerous times now. Talk about flipping irritating. It's about the only thing that's wrong with it though. Brilliant machine in every other way  :D

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2021, 12:47:40 PM »
Yep you were right @Lowena
The bugger has unthreaded itself numerous times now. Talk about flipping irritating. It's about the only thing that's wrong with it though. Brilliant machine in every other way  :D

I use the thread cutter constantly and I don’t get unthreaded needles.   :thinking:

Are you using the knee lifter to lift the presser foot before cutting the threads? I don’t know if that might make a difference?

Bill

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2021, 13:31:09 PM »
Haven't tried lifting the foot while cutting but tbh I can't see it making much difference.

I'm now just wondering if using a thinner needle might work? My thinking is that by leaving a smaller needle hole in the fabric, the thread will be a little less willing to come out after being cut and so why I pull said fabric out from the foot it would pull some thread through the needle...
I'll try that when I get home from the days monotonous shopping trip...

Cazlyn

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2021, 13:51:07 PM »
@Bill I don’t have that problem with mine, well not that I’ve noticed!
Crafting is my happy place

annieeg

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2021, 10:56:54 AM »
[quote  My Pfaff presser foot lifts automatically when the foot pedal is released, it's brilliant for stitching very, very slowly or even just for turning corners.
[/quote]
@Lachica   what Pfaff model do you have ?

Lachica

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2021, 11:01:09 AM »
@annieeg the Creative 3.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bill

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2022, 12:19:45 PM »
I have a query.
I've noticed that the centre line on my machine moves to the left when using a zig zag stitch. Is that normal?
The default centre line is at 3.5mm and the machine does a max width of 7mm so I can't for the life of me figure out why it would move.
I've just messed up what was looking to be a rather neat looking set of stitches.  :headbang:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

StitchinTime

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2022, 13:19:42 PM »
Does the machine have multiple zig zag stitches with different needle positions? They might not be in the “basic/utility” setting, but in with the decorative stitches.

Bill

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2022, 14:09:07 PM »
Definitely in the utility section.  :)

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2022, 14:22:10 PM »
I have a query.
I've noticed that the centre line on my machine moves to the left when using a zig zag stitch. Is that normal?

Yes, I think it is normal?

When doing a straight stitch in some projects, I press the (zig zag) stitch width buttons to move the needle across left to right to get it into the exact position that I want it and then I line my fabric up with the edge of the presser foot.