The Sewing Place

Has anyone got a Janome 6700/ should be I am not buying a new machine

Celia

I am not buying a new machine, repeat after me, I am not buying a new machine.

I did say i would buy myself a machine just because I wanted it when I retired, I do have 3 lovely machines but I am wondering if it would be a good idea to try to combine at least 2 and also to buy a machine for fun not work.

I would love to have this one but look at the price https://www.franknutt.co.uk/janome-m7-continental_janome-m7-continental-sewing-machine.  I wondered if the 6700 would perhaps make a good alternative.

Now off to hide in the corner @Lowena   at least I could have less machines :devil:

KayK

Re: Has anyone got a Janome 6700/ should be I am not buying a new machine
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 18:02:10 PM »
I do! I bought it in May!  The M7 Continental is huge and very expensive, but thus far, I am pleased with the 6700.  It is a pretty big machine, others of similar size are far more expensive.  It is more useful than it is pretty, but it is a heavy machine, and the table that comes with it is huge. It is nice to have something that isn't 'automatic' and you can set your own tension and foot pressure.  The HP plate and foot are pretty good too, as is the Accufeed system.  it does have it's little quirks however - the drop in bobbin case sometimes jumps up but the machine will do an 'emergency stop' when it senses something has gone wrong. 

I bought it to replace a Bernina 475QE, which was beautifully made, but made too many decisions that I didn't want!.  I do  a lot of free motion embroidery, and like to use unusual threads to do bobbin work, but the Bernina was just too fussy to play!  It was a big machine but the working area was only very small, and the accessories were very expensive.

The quality of the Janome accessories are not as good as the Bernina, but they do a pretty impressive job.  I have free motion quilted a 6'x6' quilt on it with ease.  There are three stitch plates to use, which change easily.  It does seem to gather fluff like there is no tomorrow, so needs seriously frequent cleaning. 

I did have a trial run on it, took all the types of fabric i like to use, and was pleased with how it performed.

Hope this helps - there is also a Janome 6700 group on Facebook which are quite helpful!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 18:40:33 PM »
I have one as well and I love it!  I got mine in late February 2020, just in time before the lockdown and subsequent run on sewing machines.  At the time I was able to go into the shop and try out my shortlisted machines.  You might not feel ready to do that, I know I'd be wary.  It was very useful and helped with my decision.

It is a very solid machine and, as @KayK says, it allows a lot of user control of tension etc.  The dials to scroll through the various modes and menus are much easier to use than a touchscreen.  It feels like a 'normal' machine.  Luckily I like the way it looks, it is more like a traditional machine, but then I have never had a modern-style computer machine and I've never adjusted to that style.

It comes with a lot of bits and pieces.  I got a couple of extra feet thrown in to the deal as well.  The knee lift took a bit of getting used to, but now I wouldn't be without it and I've developed a serious leg twitch when using my overlocker!  I use the HP foot and throatplate a lot.  It's easy to change to the standard plate when necessary.  I'd like to try the extension table if I can make space for it.

It's a fast machine, yet very controllable.  There is a sliding speed limiter, but the (large) foot pedal is so responsive it isn't always necessary. 

There are some very useful youtube videos about the 6700p from Montaville sewing which I've found helpful.

I had a bit of bother with the threading to start with.  I had become so accustomed to threading my old machine that I was rushing through in my usual way.  After a couple of 'emergency stops' I learned to take more care over the threading and all has been well since. 

I have not regretted my decision at all, I'm delighted with my machine.  We seem to 'fit'. 

Any questions at all, just ask!

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 18:43:06 PM »
Think very carefully @Celia .....what you need rather than what you want...what will you do with the excess machines???
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 18:46:38 PM »
There is one for sale on FB @Celia  MC 6700P £1400 6 months old and upgrading to a big Bernina.  Postage is extra of course.

The Continental looks huge and I seem to remember I looked and it was around 20Kg.

Oh and I think it would make a great alternative, it's the only machine I've really lusted after other than a Pfaff, although it was the 6500 then.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 18:57:33 PM by Gernella »
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 18:51:35 PM »
Think very carefully @Celia .....what you need rather than what you want...what will you do with the excess machines???

Sell them!

And there's nothing wrong with treating yourself to something you want once in a while.

maliw

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 19:43:32 PM »
Go with your gut feeling, do what you feel you want to do and enjoy.
After mum died I used some of her money to buy a Janome Horizon, no I didn't need it I just fancied a new machine and I love it. I also have an Elna 6600 Quilters Dream, I use both machines and love them both.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Celia

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 09:04:38 AM »
Thank you. For your replies @SkoutSews and @KayK for your help there is nothing better than the opinion of someone who has already got the machine.

I am still very tempted but would really love to try the machine first and that is not possible at the moment.

@Lowena I will think carefully, my idea is actually to reduce the number of machines i have, I do actually feel guilty for having so many as it is no longer part of my working life. 

I have 3 sewing machines at present, my favourite by far is the straight stitch machine but of course their are times I need more stitches so I cannot keep that one on its own.  I will if I buy trade in at least one of the others and sell the other.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 09:28:24 AM »
Treat yourself @Celia , you bloody well deserve it ... and dont be put off doing what you want by others .. we're all different.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 10:20:48 AM »
Oh... my... goodness - that looks amazing!  But fortunately I can't afford one  :P

Go for it, ignore Mrs Minimalist, she only makes quilts, so knows nothing about other sewing  :P

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 13:13:19 PM »
Three machines is nothing @Celia I've got three and they all have their use in different ways.  The only reason I had one for so long was that I didn't have the time to sew because the job I had was too demanding (but well paid). 

Those big Janome's are tough monkeys as  well, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Celia

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2021, 13:15:33 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper the one I linked to is the one I would love but the one I am really thinking of is this one https://www.franknutt.co.uk/janome-6700p not quite so pricey

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2021, 14:57:52 PM »
@Celia A wise lady once told me (a few weeks ago) that all machines have their good and down sides.  I listened to that lady's advice and bought a new sewing machine, giving me a total of three that I use for different projects.
She was quite correct.  She should listen to her own advice and inner self that is obviously saying she has something missing and it is a hole that needs filling!
 :dance: :sew: :angel: :devil:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2021, 16:49:43 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper the one I linked to is the one I would love but the one I am really thinking of is this one https://www.franknutt.co.uk/janome-6700p not quite so pricey
Oh that's definitely affordable, go for it  0_0

Ellabella

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2021, 21:35:13 PM »
@Celia , I know it’s not the same machine as you are looking at but I have the Janome 8900QCP and I love it.

It’s strong and gutsy and so far has sewn everything I’ve thrown at it, multiple layers of denim, lots of upholstery fabric and several layers of vinyl.

I think the big Janomes are excellent value, lots of bang for your buck.

Go for it girl :thumbsup: