The Sewing Place

Route home via fabric shops?

Marniesews

Route home via fabric shops?
« on: August 15, 2021, 22:13:48 PM »
First night away from home since early March 2020 in a couple of weeks. Very very sadly it's for a family funeral. It's before 10 in the morning and near Keighley around 5 hours drive away so an overnight stay makes the most practical option. We've stayed several times at a lovely gourmet pub about 30 mins away just outside Burnley...so driving up to Immanuel's might make a more cheerful destination on the way up.

As we expect to be on our way back around 2 we can go back on the M1 and stop off at either Fabworks in Dewsbury or Waltons in Goldthorpe. Finding it hard to choose. I could do with some curtaining, wadding for odd projects, remnants for dolls' clothes and fabric for hats - simple sewn bucket/sunhat style but in autumn/spring fabrics as I need more face protection after recent problems. Immanuel's is probably the best single choice for that but I have the chance of a second. I don't have to buy anything to enjoy the visit, just feeling new fabric will be pleasure enough to relieve at least a little of the sadness of the day.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Surest1tch

Re: Route home via fabric shops?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 20:38:29 PM »
@Marniesews The last time I was in Waltons (2 years ish) they didn't do curtaining stuff, unless they've changed the range or been offered something at the right price. If you want to ring them before you go if you PM me and I'll send you the shop number, Jayne's probably the best one to speak to.

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 22:27:21 PM »
I don't know Walton's but Fabworks always has  a great selection of everything. Loads of curtain fabric.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Esme866

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 08:15:02 AM »
The closest fabric store to me is 4 hours away (200 miles). I'd stop at any along the way if they existed.

Do both! :dance: :devil: :dance:

sewmuchmore

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 09:16:26 AM »
@Marniesews if you are going to Keighley have you thought about the Shuttle in Shipley or the Fent shop in Skipton? Although not off the M1 perhaps near enough to make a detour. Both sell dressmaking and curtain/upholstery fabric but not on the same scale as Fabworks. Bombay stores in Bradford? or here
for curtain fabric, this is near Fabworks. And of course if you are in Dewsbury there is the £1 a yard shop plus a mile or 2 down the road in Batley is a roll end shop called the Heritage Mill Shop details
Fabric for All in Armley, just of the M1, not a big shop but good selection details
I forgot about here, in Keighley itself, i have had stuff via on line shop but never visited b&m
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 09:28:00 AM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 07:17:11 AM »
Thank you for these replies, and for the extra suggestions @sewmuchmore  I've started looking them up - you've really given me something to ponder on there. It's always nice to have a variety of options even if it doesn't help me cutting down the list for the way home.  ;)  Now I'm wondering if we can make the route a figure of 8 and squeeze in Fabworks before crossing to the west for Burnley and leave the way home for Shipley, Skipton or...

@Surest1tch - yes, I wasn't thinking specifically of curtaining from Waltons necessarily. I've only been there once before in 2019 and that was for dance lycra of which they had a huge selection so that has coloured my memory.

@Tamnymore - we went to Fabworks on the same trip as to Waltons so I'm keen to return there too. I just wish I could say I'd sewn up all the fabric I bought from there last time.  :|
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.