The Sewing Place

Sewing any of these Winter trends?

Gernella

Re: Sewing any of these Winter trends?
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2021, 17:46:05 PM »
I did make a dark velvet skirt a  few years ago @Bumblebuncher  I was really pleased with that because I'd bought it as a remnant from Truro Fabrics, the waist band had to be made up some extra thick lining fabric I had.  I've been to a few funerals in it because DH is not a big fan of black.

I was quite pleased because it was easy to sew with having cotton in. I've got a Butterick faux wrap dress and the pattern picture of that was velvet and I've had an eye on a velvet jacket on Pro Idee for a long time but can't get myself to part with the money or make it.

I think nowadays there is no age appropriate with velvet with the right outfit.  My first long dress when I was about 19 was ruby coloured velvet with long lace sleeves, thought I was the bees knees in that and mumsy borrowed it for a cruise and I never saw it again, probably either spilled something on it or a cigarette burn.  I even had my photograph taken in it (a freebie), he looked at me and said "Its only a headshot darling"
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2021, 18:30:15 PM »
@Gernella If my velvet was black I would be ok  :thumbsup:
But it isn't!
I have some gorgeous sky blue, and pretty pale, kind of apple, green.  Also some red with paisley print on it.  All lush cotton velvet, but I just can't think of the right things to make with them.  I just don't want to use them and regret it when I find something more suitable.  I suppose they are the prime example of how to end up with a stash, find the most gorgeous fabric then not know what to do with it lol
I recently bought some silver velvet, but that already has a pattern assigned and waiting to be made up!
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Gernella

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2021, 18:50:52 PM »
I think I might be going with a winter waistcoat (bodywarmer)with the red paisley @Bumblebuncher 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2021, 19:46:29 PM »
@Gernella Good suggestion!
I have about 5 metres of each, originally bought for Tudor recreation dresses that were never made lol
Had the ideas in mind, was ready to make them all, never happened because life (and thyroid issues) happened and now have the fabric.
But that's just the start of it, I also have loads of black satin bought for the same reason lol
I really need to stop buying stuff and using what I have don't I :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2021, 18:31:25 PM »
I've made dressy tops from stretch velvet which have been good for meals out/social things.
I wear them with plain dark trousers.

Esme866

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2021, 08:20:19 AM »
@Bumblebuncher

I vote dressy long tops or jackets for the velvet. It sounds like you've almost enough to make items twice from each piece of velvet. Make one item, if you don't like it or get tired of it, use bits of the first garment to help finish a second. Or save the leftovers for special garments for the grandkids.

Use it! Use it! Use it! Otherwise -on down the road - someone will be asking why Mom bought all of this velvet and never used it. Just like money - you can't take your stash with you! :'(

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2021, 21:21:00 PM »
@Esme866 I like your thinking  :D
I am going to work my way through fabric I recently bought for projects I really want to wear, then will turn my attention to the stash and see what to do with it.
Have no fear, DD's have always been very understanding of my stash, DD1 even took in the panto stash when I stopped as she took over lol
They often ask if I just happen to have something, and I usually do!
I will use the velvet... Promise  :thinking:
BB

whiskeyecho

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2021, 17:20:22 PM »
I like the idea of the cut outs, but not sure how to sew that. I do like asymmetry and actually have a pattern for a knit top with asymmetrical collar. I guess now is the time for that one lol.
just trying to figure it all out