The Sewing Place

Sewing any of these Winter trends?

Starryfish

Re: Sewing any of these Winter trends?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2021, 22:28:05 PM »
when I was in 6th form an eon ago, I wore my brothers cricket sweater with an emerald green hipster miniskirt. I felt so good in that outfit. I am planning a sleeveless rib vest for this winter, but definitely no miniskirt.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2021, 22:31:55 PM »
Does that mean my bright pink leather biker jacket will be fashionable instead of unusually weird? :(
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Tamnymore

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2021, 22:52:18 PM »
Yes @Bumblebuncher . Wear it!

I like the big coats, midi dresses and soft suits. I wouldn't sew a tailored suit now I've retired but I'd happily consider a more relaxed version.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lachica

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2021, 23:31:51 PM »
The tank top reminds me of when I bought a knitted fair isle pattern waistcoat at a jumble sale. Showed my mum, she was amazed. She'd given it to the jumble. She was a skilled knitter & I wore it loads in the very early 70s.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2021, 23:47:44 PM »
 ><  Apparently I have become old  :scream: and disinterested in fashion. :'(  I  did a few calculations. If I were 45 pounds lighter and 45 years younger there were several items I would have worn. Hmmm...actually they were items included that I did wear at that point in time.  I'll do the math for you. Circa 1976, thin and bless  us all, 21 years of age.

I was the best dressed person in Aldi today. Hair in waist length braids, chocolate brown cotton tank top, olive green cotton knit loose legged cropped pants accented with black runners badly in need of a scrubbing on the white sole and faux tortoise shell readers perched on my nose.
 :perfect10:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Esme866

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2021, 06:34:45 AM »
Love, love, love the suits, though I'd taper the legs a bit. Love that this is the first collection of actual real clothing for what seems like decades. Wish I had a waist so I could wear those fabulous shirt dresses. :boohoo:

Gernella

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2021, 10:16:27 AM »
Problem I have is that my head is very near the floor, although I should be grateful that in old age I haven't lost any height.  Swirly things don't really suit me because of having no height and come winter I just want to keep warm when I go out. I do like jackets and anything that slims me.

There was someone waiting at the hospital yesterday, probably in her late 20's. I was sat behind her wondering if I could make her Burberry style bomber jacket.  I've quite fancied one for a bit but not sure I could wear what she had on at the bottom, very tight leggings.

There's a fine line when you get older to looking good and like mutton dressed in lamb.  I've never forgotten a picture of a very substantial titled  lady at her sons wedding dressed in pink frills all over, I know her nickname was Bubbles but............

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2021, 10:38:19 AM »
@Tamnymore I do wear it... constantly lol
my SIL doesn't appear to like me wearing it, he comments on it all the time!  It  makes me wear it more lol
Everyone else seems to think it is 'very you' and love it!
I feel slightly sad that it will become fashionable and not something I had to scour the ends of the earth to find because I wanted it and now it will become 'popular'!
However, I will still get the last laugh.  I only paid £35 for it, reduced from £150 because nobody want it  :laughing:
@Renegade Sewist  braids became the 'in' lockdown hair do for the 'older' woman.
I know this because I wear braids for work and all the 'young'uns' commented on how I was with the fashion.  They all knew I had always done it and found it hilarious.
@Gernella I have loads of velvet in my stash but find it difficult to think of something 'age appropriate' to make it into, so seem to just stroke it every now and then  :(
I am slightly unsure of how I feel about this, on the one hand it has  many things i would, and do, wear.  On the other, does this mean that my oddness fashion wise, will become fashionable? Then just plain unfashionable? How many years before it becomes odd again?
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Tamnymore

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2021, 11:32:45 AM »
@Bumblebuncher you are clearly a very fashionable lady and I'm going to follow your example!  :D

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2021, 13:28:43 PM »
@Tamnymore Oh gosh, I hope not  :scream:
As a child my mother forbade me to wear so many things I was afraid to try anything out.  As a teenager she wouldn't let me wear jeans because 'nice girls don't wear jeans'!
As a young adult I had no confidence and hid behind baggy clothes and bland colours.
As a mother I decided my children were not going to grow up with the issues I had inherited from my mother.  Out went the old clothes, in came the sewing machine and I wore what I wanted.
I still wear what I want.  The only thing is that I really don't want to look like mutton dressed as lamb so have toned it down a bit lol
I wear mostly black, mainly because my  mother always complains when I wear mostly black and I do it to annoy her :laughing: and I think I look mighty fine in it  :D
She doesn't approve of anything that isn't completely bland so I won't wear bland.  Everyone else (barring Son-in-law, but it is his job to annoy me lol) always comment on what I am wearing in a positive way, so apparently my mothers approval is not a good thing :laughing:
My daughters have no issues and wear what they want too so that theory worked  :D
Having lost weight in the last 18 months mean I have started from scratch with my entire wardrobe, if I have things now I don't want to wear anymore I have no problems giving it to charity.
You only live once and i have already done the 'don't notice  me' style of clothing for long enough.
@Gernella I remember Bubbles  :D An amazing personality who just didn't give a monkey's what people thought. Good on her  :D
BB

Tamnymore

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2021, 13:41:28 PM »
Your sense of style is great @Bumblebuncher . Shame your mum doesn't appreciate it. I don't recall my mother ever making any negative comments about what I wore. Indeed not long before she died she admired a jacket I'd made from a rather nice pink and blue Harris Tweed. I didn't have enough left to make her a whole jacket but I had enough for the collar and cuffs so I made the body of her jacket in a plain blue wool and it worked fine. She is wearing the jacket I made in the last photo I took of her on her 97th birthday.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2021, 14:40:31 PM »
Thank you @Tamnymore That is lovely to hear about the jacket and your mum :D And the fabric sounds perfect, in fact I was looking at something that sounds like it the other day with my drool face on  :loveit:
My mother asked me to  make her a dress once for  cruise she was going on.  I bought the fabric and pattern she requested and spent days if not weeks making it as perfect for her as I could.
A few weeks later she asked me to take some clothes to the charity shop for her!
I bet you can guess what was in there  :laughing: she hadn't even been on the cruise at that point.
Strangely I have never offered to make her anything else.
BB

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2021, 16:18:21 PM »
@Bumblebuncher - all I can say is 'Ouch' to that.
I discovered the hard way too that some family members do not value hand made items so I only sew for the friends/family I want to who I know will appreciate it.

On the trends side I have a few of the fabrics in my stash, so will proceed to make myself a leopard print top and something in stretch lace (with sheer sleeves) but opaque body.
Since I moved to Nottingham which coincided with things opening up more I've been to lots of social things with OHs family and friends, and aware that there is some scope there for comfortable slightly dressy things.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2021, 16:24:30 PM »
@SewRuthieSews Love the sound of that top  :D Bang on fashion too  ;)
BB

Gernella

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2021, 16:44:44 PM »

@Gernella I remember Bubbles  :D An amazing personality who just didn't give a monkey's what people thought. Good on her  :D
BB

You are dead right there @Bumblebuncher
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included