The Sewing Place

Grandmother Flower garden

charley

Grandmother Flower garden
« on: August 18, 2021, 19:36:21 PM »
My current project.

I picked up these 1" hexies in a scrap bag, along with a few 1 1/2" size. They were all in piles with an elastic band holding them together. I made some more to complete the number I needed. There are various shades of blue, green, some in between shades, and some floral fabric too. Sore fingers stitching all together, and a thimble is of no help.
Anyway, I made some blocks, and now I need to applique them to a background fabric. I will probably make a sashing strip between blocks too, but not completely sure yet.
The finished block will be 11", and the layout will be a 5x6. I have some recycled/reusable fabric for the backing, and I may have enough wadding, even if I have to zig zag some random pieces together.

Apologies if photos are too large.

Sheilago

Re: Grandmother Flower garden
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 19:44:13 PM »
What a lot of work @charley, but it’s going to be beautiful! Looking forward to seeing it all finished.  :D

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 21:11:44 PM »
Lots of close work @charley but it is going to be gorgeous  :flower:
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 05:41:10 AM »
Keep us posted ... I couldnt do this so am very much looking forward to the finished piece.

Where are these charity shops that sell fabric/craft/yarn ????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 08:52:40 AM »
Lovely project!  I remember having a go at this many (many, many) years ago, but I think mine all turned into lavender bags!

Watching with interest!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Celia

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 08:58:40 AM »
These are lovely, I have made some myself but only made cushions etc. How are you going to mount them on the backing fabric, I ask because i still have some and am wondering what to do, usually I just add more white or background hexagons and then cut but that is so time consuming and wasteful.

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 13:07:27 PM »
Keep us posted ... I couldnt do this so am very much looking forward to the finished piece.

Where are these charity shops that sell fabric/craft/yarn ????

@Iminei I have found that a number of Red Cross charity shops seem to have sewing related items. I have bought lots of brand new buttons and fabric from them.  There may be one near you  :)
Willing but not always able :)

charley

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 22:36:35 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback compliments.

@Celia I will applique them to the background /square of fabric; then sashing strips (decision made). I will make a start next week, visiting daughter and family in Scotland this weekend.

charley

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 21:56:23 PM »
I have stitched this together and added some sashing made from some fabric that was in the box. Not quite enough fabric, so I had to add 2 small pieces of random fabric. I dislike adding sashing, I tend to not get it right, but I think it turned out ok this time.

Now to add a border, it will be a different fabric, from the box.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 06:12:01 AM »
I like that sashing fabric  it looks like a chinese influenced design to my eyes ... white chrysanths on a red background????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 12:30:34 PM »
@charley thats lovely, so much work but so worth it.

charley

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 20:23:49 PM »
Thank you @Ellabella, that is kind of you.

The sashing fabric is a red background with white chrysanths  that have a blue centre. I had bought a random half metre a few years ago - Tilda ` I think, and, I feel that it pops nicely. Just nearly, but not quite, enough, but I can live with that, it was all used apart from the slivers of straightening the edge.