The Sewing Place

Craftsy Did you join? What have you watched?

classical retro

Craftsy Did you join? What have you watched?
« on: August 19, 2021, 15:42:51 PM »
Having signed up for the annual membership at rock bottom price, I am only just getting round to watching anything, :| having bought a few classes in the past.
I can recommend Pant Fitting Techniques - Sandra Betzina. I found seeing how trousers fit on people so much easier to understand than trying to work out what the wrinkles/smile lines on diagrams mean, and now know what my fitting issues are (lesson 3).  She also talks about how fabric covers the body to get a better fit, which is a useful insight to the art of garment making. The timings look long, but I am being entertained as well as learning, so the lesson is over before I realise it.

I have also looked at some quilting classes, and realise that the patchwork I do is called English Paper Piecing (who knew it had a name), and at the moment would rather do it all by hand, well maybe not the binding and backing. That said, I love the way blocks are designed and seem to take shape - no pun intended.

I have until November to make the most of it. Alison Smith classes, couture sewing and tailoring are on my list.

And if you haven't joined yet, the offer seems still to be on. Wish I'd started sooner.
CR :angel:

Ohsewsimple

Re: Craftsy Did you join? What have you watched?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 16:58:34 PM »
I haven’t watched as much as I thought I might.  Too busy sewing when I have free time! :)

But I agree about Alison Smiths lessons.  Tempted to buy them!  Might have to have a look at Sandra B's Pants Fitting.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 17:07:31 PM »
I paid the bargain price, but couldn't find anything I wanted to watch  :S

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 22:58:20 PM »
I must check when my cheap year runs out. I haven't watched either.
So much for good intentions and no excuse with all the free time I have had with everything shut down  :|
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 00:37:18 AM »
I've watched a lot of Korean and Chinese historical movies. They are full of fashion and food inspiration.  :thumbsup:

I haven't watched any sewing classes. But I haven't been sewing either. I have watched several woodworking classes, many gardening classes like container and raised bed, Asian cooking classes, some jewelry classes, etc.

Thanks for the reminder. It expires December 31st. Need to cancel the auto renewal.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sewingsue

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 07:04:43 AM »
24th October for me. I did cancel the automatic renewal at the time so I didn't forget.

Now all I have to do is overcome my (getting worse) procrastination gene.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 07:15:04 AM »
Alison Smith is excellent.  No woffle or padding just first class instruction.  I wish she had a book.  I also like Prof Kenneth King.
I've not subscribed to Craftsy since it changed but found most of the things I watched previously far too long winded - could have done with them being cut by at least half.
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 09:30:21 AM »
I am guilty of not watching too, I must check my renewal date not too sure how I left it.
@Ploshkin  Alison Smith does have a book in fact I think there is more than one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sewing-Book-New-Step-Step/dp/0241313635/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2T16H3ROMKD7H&dchild=1&keywords=alison+smith+sewing+book&qid=1629448067&sprefix=Alison+smith%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-1
I agree about the courses being too long.

Helen M

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 09:57:13 AM »
I watched one ages ago and that was it. I think 02 Nov is my cut off date as I cancelled auto renu. They offered me another cheap deal (not as good as first one though) I kept the email so I may check it out again.

Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 12:09:03 PM »
@Celia I know she has a general sewing book which I understand is very good but I do wish she had a tailoring book.
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 13:26:46 PM »
This one is the one I was looking for, it has a lot more dressmaking I think, I have an old copy of one of her books and it is quite detailed.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dressmaking-Book-Over-80-techniques/dp/0241459737/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1629462286&refinements=p_27%3AAlison+Smith+MBE&s=books&sr=1-1&text=Alison+Smith+MBE

William

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 13:48:15 PM »
Hello-

I have tried it (because of the bargain price) and have enjoyed a number of courses.
The main reason i tried it was  - price aside - the "She Sews, He Sews" feature with Mimi G.
Modern quilting, bag making and sewing clothes are what i watch. Many of the features include patterns or such.

Sorry if i am beginning to sound like a commercial, but from my experience, i have nothing except good things to say about Craftsy.

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

mudcat

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 20:30:19 PM »
I didn't join.  I downloaded all the courses I had bought when it was near the end of bluprint.  None of the new classes were any good.  I got the impression bluprint burned a lot of bridges with the original Craftsy teachers. Not sure if the "new" craftsy is back to making decent classes or not. 

But probably I won't join anyway.  Since retirement I'm a little more careful with how I spend my money.  It's so easy to buy subscriptions and not use them.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 21:15:33 PM »
I have watched a few classes and enjoyed them. I’m currently working through a Leather bag making class which I found really interesting.

realale

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 14:57:55 PM »
I haven't rejoined. I thought I would but I downloaded lots of the classes at the end of Bluprint so I have enough to keep me going. I am getting weekly 'last offers' of $2.49 but as I'm not watching the classes I did download I'm not sure I'd watch any new.  :P
I am however rewatching Kenneth King's 'sewing a velveteen blazer' as son's coat is made out of velveteen so he has some useful tips that are transferable. I like Kenneth King anyway so it's no hardship.  ;)
So many beers, so little time.