The Sewing Place

Quick & Easy Tool Roll

Sara-S

Quick & Easy Tool Roll
« on: August 19, 2021, 17:07:59 PM »
I wanted to do a sewing project, now that the machine is back up. I needed a tool roll to organize some of my Bonsai tools. (I’ve made these before; they are really not hard.). I made the whole thing from one flour-sack napkin. It’s starting size is about 28” x 28”

I folded it in half & sewed around the edges, just to get it to the right size for 4 tools. Next, I folded it up from the bottom & ironed in the crease. Sewed the sides and then measured & marked-with painter’s tape-the seams that divided it into 4 pockets.

Next, I just folded the top over & pressed in a crease, to make a flap. Last step was to sew a length of ribbon, 2x the width, in the back.

There napkins shrink a bit and are never perfectly square after you wash them (which I’d already done) so the edges aren’t perfect, but they really didn’t need to be. My main reasons for using the flour-sack napkin were A)I had some and B)the edges are already hemmed.

So here it is;
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Mick

Re: Quick & Easy Tool Roll
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 14:10:16 PM »
These things get to be quite addictive, don't they?

I've just finished my third (and most ambitious) one.

As you say, quick and easy. But something you'll actually get the use out of.

Sara-S

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 14:27:55 PM »
@Mick how about sharing some pics of yours?

Mick

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 17:09:17 PM »
@Sara-S This was the first one.  https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,8956.msg150644.html#msg150644

The second one got blagged by a friend, before I could get a picture.

This is number three.
Because I ride a fairly old, and notoriously unreliable, motorcycle I like to have a few tools with me.

It's pretty crudely sown I'll admit, but better than having all the stuff rattling about loose in the bottom of the saddlebag.

Sara-S

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 18:06:32 PM »
My sewing isn’t perfect either.  But if you get a functioning tool roll it’s all good. That is a very nice roll that you made.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 23:00:37 PM by Sara-S »

steve_h

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 12:50:14 PM »
Tool rolls look great!

For tool roll material, check out Harbor Freight. They have a canvas painter's tarp, 9'x12' or 12 yards of material for $12.
I've seen lots of poeple on the advrider motorcycle site make tool rolls out of that material.
Even if just used for practice material, at $1 per yard, it's a good deal.

Mick

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 06:30:35 AM »
 @steve_h Sadly, we don't have Harbour Frieght over here.

However, last year I had some decorating to do, and bought a couple of canvas drop sheets from a local DIY chain.

A bit more expensive than H F price, but even at that, as you say, it's an awful lot of pretty usable fabric for not very much money.

To be honest, I never really thought about re-purporsing it into anything else.

But now you've gone and given me the idea... :thinking:

weary

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 08:36:16 AM »
Screwfix do 9 x 12 twill dust-sheets for a tenner, slightly cheaper 'heavy duty twill dust sheets' available from ebay. @Mick - if you are looking around for the material.

Regards,
Phil

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2021, 09:58:28 AM »
@Mick & @weary , you would love Harbor Freight. Great variety of tools at highly competitive prices. Smallish stores so you aren't hiking to get to what you want. My favorite part is the local shop is literally next door to my doctor's office.  :perfect10: I tend to make a shopping list when I have an appointment.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2021, 10:35:48 AM »
@Sara-S and @Mick those are great toolbags.  Making your own means that you have the right size slots for the tools you have.

I have a folded version for my sketching tools, but not rolled because of the sketchbook.  This came about as part of the online course I've been doing and will take a slim A5 sketchbook, but it contains everything needed.  I'm really pleased with how the Kam snaps have held together.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sara-S

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 11:09:30 AM »
@BrendaP I like your tool bag!  Nice choice of fabric and as you say, making your own allows you to customize.