The Sewing Place

Babylock Evolve BLE8W - compatability?

annieeg

Babylock Evolve BLE8W - compatability?
« on: August 22, 2021, 12:57:36 PM »
I have a Babylock Evolve BLE8W which is struggling with the jet air threading.  I'm thinking of buying a replacement.
 Does anyone know what model of Babylock would be compatible with all the accessories/extra feet of the BLE8W? 

(I have loads of accessories/extras which I don't really want to write off if possible.)

TIA, Annie

Ellabella

Re: Babylock Evolve BLE8W - compatability?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 13:27:37 PM »
Have you flossed your tubes @annieeg ?  When I used my Evolve it got a bit fussy unless I passed a wire through it occasionally.

Unless of course you are wanting an excuse for a new toy ;)

Celia

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 13:30:48 PM »
Yes the feet will fit all of the machines that have cover stitch on them, for example the Evolution, Gloria etc some of the other accessories are a bit different some only fit the standard size not the extra large machines.  If you have anything specific let me know and I will try to help.

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 14:18:52 PM »
@Celia @Ellabella
Thanks for your reply.
Here follows a confession... :|  I tried to poke a thin wire through the thread home which got stuck :scream:
I then unscrewed the two tiny screws o  the panel which I should NOT have done.
I think this has damaged the white selection  switch for upper  lower   chain  stitch threading options.  The screws  don't connect with anything  when  I try to screw them back in :scream: 
Have I damaged the machine beyond repair?

Celia

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 14:24:24 PM »
Probably not Babylocks are very robust and can usually be repaired but you probably need to take it to a dealer to reassemble it, it is probably worth it as they are still great machines and a new equivalent is going to cost £……..lots.

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 14:51:16 PM »
Well if you couldn’t push a wire through that explains your air threading problem.

As long as you have all the bits taking it to a mechanic will be worth it.  Babylocks especially older ones are built to last and a service and repair will be peanuts compared to a new machine.

For future use, when changing thread always pull out towards the needles and loopers. Never pull thread back the way it has come as you run the risk of pulling fluff balls into the tubes and this is what causes the air threading to become sluggish.

Floss the tubes occasionally and you should be able to keep them clear.

If you want to post a pic of the area you ‘tampered’ with I can get mine out and see if I can see where everything needs to be.

annieeg

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 15:15:39 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  @ Ellabella
Attached are two pictures:

(1)  the screw holes to the left and right of the threading ports are where I removed the screws.
      The U L C slider to the right hand side now doesn't respond - i.e., its very loose (I have a feeling the screws were attached to that slider).

(2)  the detached screws in question are shown in this picture (sorry its so blurred).

As an aside - I'm needing to buy a back-up overlocker while this one is out of action. I've seen a Janome 8002DG new for £229 on Frank Nutt's site, would that be a good buy do you think?
Annie x
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 15:17:57 PM by annieeg »

annieeg

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 15:20:36 PM »
pictures - 2nd attempt  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 17:43:10 PM »
I think you’re right @annieeg, when you took the screws out, the selector mechanism has dropped and the screws which hold it up can’t catch on to it, to relocate it.

If it were me I would be tempted to remove the base plate or rather ask DH to remove the base plate as I am married to a man who can mend just about anything.

With the base plate off it might be possible to push the selector mechanism into place so the screws can reach it to hold it in place.

Please don’t do this on my say so, only if you are confident with this sort of thing.

If you can get it back, give the air threader tubes a good flossing with wire, always pushing or pulling any debris towards the needles.

As long as you have the screws etc a service engineer shouldn’t have too much trouble getting things working again.

Let’s us know how you get on.

Can we please have a fingers crossed emoji?

annieeg

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 17:53:20 PM »
@Ellabella
I had the same idea to remove the  base plate.  I'll wait until I have quiet time and solitude and try that route.
I will most definitely let u know how I get on.
Very much appreciate your knowledge and support, and that of @Celia  :grouphug:

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2021, 18:09:55 PM »
@annieeg its our pub quiz tonight, I’ll be having a G&T and thinking about you :D.

Celia

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2021, 22:57:17 PM »
Do be careful if I remember rightly with that machine there is a spring somewhere that can cause a problem, I did once have to replace the bellows on an evolve but it was a long time ago and not having one in front of me I can’t remember how the covers come off.  Take photos as you go along

annieeg

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 16:09:23 PM »
I'm getting cold feet about trying to fix this myself so will take it to dealer for repair.
I'm the meantime does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced back up overlocker?

Helen M

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2021, 17:24:40 PM »
I think the Brother ones are the cheapest. Mine is ancient (730D circa 1989, and I think could have been made by Viking but I still love it) and of the newer ones I think the 2104d is comparable to mine. Mine is metal and heavier but I suppose that is the way of most machines now. They are around £220 I think.

It depends how much of a 'back up' you want it to be.......
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

annieeg

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 12:07:31 PM »
Update on this ...  I've got to take the Babylock to a dealer in Tunbridge Wells which is a bit away from me, so I've decided to buy a Janome 8002DG for £199 delivered.  I know its plastic and not in the same league of the Babylock but its not a huge purchase and will serve me as a back-up when the Babylock is up and running.
Its amazing how you miss an overlocker when you've been used to using one for so many years!