The Sewing Place

Babylock Evolve BLE8W - compatability?

Ohsewsimple

Re: Babylock Evolve BLE8W - compatability?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 13:02:52 PM »
@annieeg definitely not in the same league as the Babylock.  But I’ve demonstrated these many times and it’s not a bad little machine for the money.  Bit of a pain to thread but the stitch quality isn’t bad.  And a back up is always useful.  :)

Helen M

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 13:38:46 PM »
Too late now, but the Brother machines are very easy to thead, even the newer ones.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

annieeg

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2021, 16:17:27 PM »
Just in case you thought the saga might be over  - there is another episode :| :|
There was an unexpected hitch over the purchase of the Janome so I bought - instead - a Jaguar 099.
Its got a simple threading system and I like the fact that the whole front can open out to aid threading the lower loopers.
I've tried it and it seems quite efficient so far.
Its more money (£320) than the Janome but hopefully worth it.
The babylock is in the repair shop and we'll see what the outcome is. 
If all is well, I'm mulling over whether to put the babylock up for sale after the service/repair.  I never use any of its fandangled facilities (e.g, the WAVE stitch) and maybe happier sticking with the more simple machine, as I don't do so much sewing nowadays. :ninja:

Greybird

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2021, 16:37:29 PM »
@annieeg I have just bought a Jaguar 488 which has the same facility for the whole knife assembly part to swing open. Very easy threading it certainly is!

Helen M

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 16:40:38 PM »
I hope the new machine works out well for you I think you're right about not needing all the fancy bits. My overlocker is only 3 thread BUT had differential feed which no others had when I bought it. The 4 thread version was over £100 more (think back to 1989...) and I haven't regretted not having the 4th thread as I seam everything first anyway for fit.

I think @Greybird has just bought a Jaguar machine so perhaps you can swap notes!

Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 18:50:44 PM »
The Jaguars I’ve used have been nice machines. 

annieeg

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2021, 12:00:51 PM »
Update (sort of -<).  My babylock is still in the repair shop - hopefully it will be ready next week.
In the  meantime, it occurred to me to ask if its possible to manually thread an air-threaded overlocker, e.g., if the bellows are not working.

Celia

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2021, 13:25:09 PM »
Yes it is, it is best done with the special cleaning /threading wire that came with your machine, if you have lost it it might be worth asking your dealer for one.
I have only seen one machine with damaged bellows in about the last 10 years so it is not a common problem.

annieeg

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2021, 10:33:46 AM »
I've just heard from the repair man who says he can't solve the problem so I'm going to collect the machine and try to hand thread it myself.
I do have the threading wire @Celia mentioned so I'll try that.
Otherwise, I'll try and sell it for spares/repair (I have all the packaging) so maybe I'll get some money back on it. :'(

Celia

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2021, 10:44:06 AM »
When you get the machine back @annieeg can you send me some photos of the problem, i find it hard to believe it cant be fixed, i assume he has been able to put back the bit you have unscrewed and its just the threading unit he is talking about,  is the repair man a baby lock dealer?

annieeg

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2021, 10:56:00 AM »
@Celia No - hes not a babylock dealer.  He said he had replaced the spring  under the sliding guide which I had unscrewed, so I had some faith that he knew what he was doing, but now I am not at all sure.  This is why I'm going to get it to try and hand thread it myself.  At this stage, I've got nothing to lose -<  I'm very grateful for your input and I will try and send you pictures of the problem.
Thanks again. 
Its a shame you don't live nearer to me otherwise I'd happily pay you to have a look at it for me. :)
Annie

Celia

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2021, 11:06:03 AM »
I am happy to do what I can.

I do wish we had some magic whereby we could all meet up, just think how many things we could all do together :loveit:

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2021, 11:32:31 AM »

I do wish we had some magic whereby we could all meet up, just think how many things we could all do together :loveit:
They were so quick to invent the swishing doors on the original Star Trek, and the communicators.  But I'm still waiting eagerly for a matter transporter  :thumbsup:  I think 'The Fly' made too many people steer clear  :laughing:
BB

As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

annieeg

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2021, 16:30:34 PM »
@Celia I've got the Babylock back and run the threading wire through both looper ports with no resistance so they can't be blocked.  However, there's very little noise/resistance from the jet air pump so I think it might be a bellows problem.
However  I did manage to thread the upper and lower loopers quite easily with that super magic threading wire :thumbsup:

BUT there is a problem with the stitching - see photo.  I'm using 3 thread overlock - upper and lower loopers and the right hand needle.  Its now giving me a loopy thread and I'm not sure if its the needle or one of the loopers.  Do you know what the problem might be?

Thanks for your time and expertise! :)  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Celia

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2021, 16:50:26 PM »
It looks like the needles to me, just check they are in correctly and try rethreading, also I know this sounds silly but make sure the presser foot is down properly. @annieeg let me know what happens