The Sewing Place

Grey wool skirt Simplicity K8128

Silver Rose

Grey wool skirt Simplicity K8128
« on: August 23, 2021, 17:39:02 PM »
I've cut out this circular skirt with a yoke and have a suitable zip, we got some light grey thread from Franklins on the way back from my blood test appointment today. It will need lining so I've ordered some from Minerva, cheaper and more choice than locally. So it is all ready for me to start sometime.
Still learning

Ohsewsimple

Re: Grey wool skirt Simplicity K8128
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 22:18:36 PM »
Oh no, wool skirt says autumn or winter @Silver Rose!   I’m not ready for that yet.  :'(

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 07:29:17 AM »
It'll be winter before i finish it @Ohsewsimple  and it is a lightweight wool   I would like summer all year long.
Still learning

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 08:46:17 AM »
The time it takes me to make something I always have to be a season ahead or it would never get worn!
I can't wait to see this one finished.
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 09:09:44 AM »
It'll be winter before i finish it @Ohsewsimple  and it is a lightweight wool   I would like summer all year long.

Phew, we’ll that’s ok then @Silver Rose  :laughing:

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 16:50:00 PM »
I've made a start, the wool is very fine so I will line it.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 17:25:52 PM »
I sewed the lining today, I am pleased with the polyester habotai, it is very smooth and antistatic. The zip is in the skirt but I am not liking the zip foot of the Janome, having to shift it over when you sew  the other side of the zip. My Alfa zip foot wouldn't fit on the Janome. I expect I'll get used to it.
Still learning

SkoutSews

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 18:53:49 PM »
Making good progress @Silver Rose! I know what you mean about the 'modern' zip feet. I prefer the older ones too. The slimmer design feels easier to use.

Helen M

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 21:05:36 PM »
What did fhe other foot look like  @Silver Rose? I don't use the one that came with my machine.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 22:05:22 PM »
@Helen M The Alfa foot is like half a foot but I realised afterwards I didn't clip it into place properly on the Janome  :facepalm: so I'll try again.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 10:20:41 AM »
@Helen M  and @SkoutSews  I have just tried again with the Alfa zip foot and it went in OK  when I remembered to click it into place with the little black lever at the back off the machine  :|. I am going to pin the lining in place this morning.
Still learning

Helen M

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 11:04:09 AM »
That's great @Silver Rose!

I was wondering if it was one originally meant for a non snap in type of foot. This is pretty much the same as the one I use (KennethD King uses the same in his invisible zip tutorial) and it must have come with my very first Janome. It's also used for piping.

You unscrew the 'snap on bit' and put this foot on using the same screw and you can slide foot as close to stitching line as you want on either side. I use the foot for stitching in the ditch and a load of other things.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 12:31:26 PM »
The Alfa zipper foot is very slim with one "toe" and you can get right up to the zip teeth. It must be obsolete because I couldn't find it on any Alfa spares site.  Did a bit more this morning so ready for the machine tomorrow. My Italian lambswool sweaters are on the way from Amazon   0_0, all chosen to go with the grey skirt.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2021, 07:49:26 AM »
The lining is in and when I have pressed the skirt I'll top stitch the waistline. I have  pinned up the skirt hem ready to sew. I'll need another bobbin in the machine first.
It fits well after a slight adjustment to the waistline, I seem to have gained an inch  :\
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2021, 12:18:20 PM »
I finished it off this morning, it now needs a good press, that'll have to wait until I can get my friend to put up the big ironing board. I've been managing to press the smaller bits as I went along on the sleeve board on the kitchen worktop
Still learning