The Sewing Place

Wicked - Elphaba 2nd Act Dress

Twan

Wicked - Elphaba 2nd Act Dress
« on: June 04, 2017, 15:35:25 PM »
Last weekend was the annual party of an amateur musical theatre group I've been a part of since 2012 and I made costumes as well as perform but had to stop due to going to uni to study costume interpretation (very good reason!). Last year's theme was Disney and I wanted to go as Lumière but had by far not enough time to finish the costume. So when they went with Musical Miscast this year I knew right away what I wanted to make and started in March with sourcing fabrics. So here is the final costume; Elphaba's 2nd act dress from Wicked. Most fabrics are recycled, however I dyed loads of them and made them look more grubby.
I'll probably set in the sleeves again and ruffles as they look very out of balance this way but didn't have time to redo it.

I didn't have enough time to blend the lace of the wig any better and this was my first time going in drag, we were already running 2 hours late.
I silk screen printed fabric for a hat but had no time to make it. So I'll make a hat to go with it later as well.

I've tried to make it as close to the original costumes as possible but each is different and old ones are different from new ones as well (at least UK made costumes). So I went with what I could find and just tried to give the same feel to it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 15:57:21 PM by Twan »

Vegegrow

Re: Wicked - Elphaba 2nd Act Dress
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 17:36:07 PM »
I don't know the musical so had to go and find an original image...your costume looks amazing Twan
How's the course going .. do you have exams?
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 18:30:42 PM »
That's fantastic! What a lot of work, no wonder you ran out of time to make the hat. Are you enjoying the course?

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 19:29:52 PM »
gorgeous!
C'est moi!

shadykittykat

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 20:10:59 PM »
Brilliant! Hope the course is going well?
Kate
Running, sewing, eating

Twan

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 20:50:59 PM »
Thank you!!

The course is great. Just struggling with the essays haha
We also had to make a bonnet from a fashion plate. This one is from 1833 - France :)
We also made a waist coat and now we are in the technical term in which we learn loads of tips and trick on how to do things.

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 10:12:29 AM »
That's a fabulous bonnet...hope you wear it well!
C'est moi!

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 10:40:08 AM »
Wow!  Love the Wicked stuff, but then that hat!  Gorgeous work!

Look forward to seeing more of your lovely work.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 16:17:04 PM »
Well done

CarolC

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 18:18:14 PM »
Wow, that is great!! It looks great on you, too.  :toast:

Samantha

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 08:08:56 AM »
Wow amazing work!

Pinkstar

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 21:05:46 PM »
Twan your dress and bonnet are fabulous!

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 12:51:15 PM »
I'm loving the hat! Well done Twan. :*
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !