The Sewing Place

Wadding/batting

Silver Rose

Wadding/batting
« on: August 29, 2021, 11:26:41 AM »
I need help with choice of batting for the sewing machine mat I am thinking of making. What sort should I use and how thick is it? I've had a look on Minerva but the majority seem to be sold in bed or cot sizes. Can I buy it by the metre? Or should I just cut up on old blanket?  :S
  • bec likes this
Still learning

bec

Re: Wadding/batting
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 12:03:50 PM »
Someone will pop along with better advice shortly as my experience is a bit limited but for what it's worth I've used an old thin fleece blanket as the batting for coasters and placemats (for budgetary reasons more than anything) and it's worked really well - I did hear that fleece shrinks a lot more than normal batting though so pre washing is advised.

I think the decision is mostly how thick you want the sewing mat to be, as it's not going to be used for warmth. I've found cotton stuff less annoying to work with than poly because I ended up with much less fluff everywhere (including in the machine) but it is a bit more expensive. The key word for thickness seems to be 'loft' - low loft means thin.

You can buy small amounts on eBay (and probably quite a few online sewing shops). I just needed a long thin piece for my latest project (a table runner) so this is the one I bought.

Bill

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 12:18:50 PM »
Would this be of any use?
One lady has used it for @Silver Rose 's same purpose and seems happy with it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0063FZOES/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_W9MMJRNS1AS4SHJ2YKB9
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 13:09:58 PM »
Thank you @bec  and @Bill for your information, I only want a enough to make a mat measuring about 24" x 15" and I'm not planning any other quilt related sewing. If I've got enough fabric I was thinking of the lemons on one side and the poppies on the other both fabrics left over from cotton skirts.
  • bec likes this
Still learning

Bill

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 13:14:38 PM »
I could send you that from my own stash if you like @Silver Rose? It's that polywachamacallit stuff. Not cotton.
It's no trouble at all.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 13:18:07 PM by Bill »
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 13:29:12 PM »
I got mine off Ebay @Silver Rose I really had no idea what I am buying, just followed my nose.  I did have some that I got in bulk (well three meters), but the cat has been sleeping on it.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 14:27:27 PM »
You want something thin, with little to no loft. No more than you would use for a placement. In my opinion mind you.  :) The old fleece blanket, flannel, craft batting which is thin, fusible polyester fleece or the unfusible for that matter,  polyester felt, etc. Really the only reason you even need a filler between the front and back fabric is to make the whole thing less flimsy. You want it to neatly lay flat and not bunch up if you use it to help move the machine around.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 15:03:32 PM »
Thank you @Renegade Sewist  that is useful info and thanks @Bill for your offer but I'll see what  I can find about the house to use, I'm still at the planning stage.
Still learning

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 15:09:33 PM »
Thank you @Renegade Sewist  that is useful info and thanks @Bill for your offer but I'll see what  I can find about the house to use, I'm still at the planning stage.

I think you can very easily find something to repurpose and use as filler for this. Also take a look at your towels. An old worn towel could also be used. I have some flannel pajamas that are just getting comfy a bit tattered. The back of the shirt would be a good candidate for something like this.

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2021, 15:44:46 PM »
@Renegade Sewist I have an old blanket that Cosmo  :meow: used to sit on the sofa, it is not too thick so I'll have a look for it.
Still learning

Esme866

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 02:20:16 AM »
I have yet to do any quilting and I've used most of a piece of batting sold in a package as "craft size". Its been used mostly for shoulder pads, but I know I've used it a couple of times for other things. It's kinda handy to have around.

Bjay

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2021, 08:24:22 AM »
I keep some around, as@Esme866 says, it is useful . I have used old blankets and have thought towells.
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Celia

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2021, 13:46:38 PM »
Curtain interlining is good too

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2021, 01:11:59 AM »
Whenever they have cotton flannel (I think you might have a different name, but brushed pyjama fabric) dirt cheap and my stock is low I'll pick up several yards of white. I immediately wash it twice, hot water and hot dryer because it really shrinks. It makes a wonderful fill layer for placemats and table runners wall hangings, small decorative quilts and table toppers.

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2021, 22:01:20 PM »
@Renegade Sewist What a clever idea!
Willing but not always able :)