The Sewing Place

McCalls 8246

Gernella

McCalls 8246
« on: August 29, 2021, 13:40:27 PM »
Despite the fact that I have not bought a pattern for ages, I've been tempted by this in the shorter length.  I still have a coat sat waiting for the hem to be finished and some snaps on the collar along with some fabric for another short coat, not decided on the pattern but not enough for this.

In addition to this, I probably have too many coats but still the urge persists.

https://somethingdelightful.com/m8246

What is this disease we have of the brain?
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

BrendaP

Re: McCalls 8246
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 14:07:31 PM »
Different coats for different occasions and different weather conditions.  That one will be for smart events when it's a bit chilly. :loveit:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 16:07:15 PM »
I can see why you like it. Lots of lovely details.

And who has enough coats?
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 16:37:10 PM »
Ooh that is nice. It's one of the new McCalls patterns. If you hang on for a week or two they will probably have a sale on the McCall patterns. There's also a digital version so especially good if the sale includes digital. I've pieced together a digital Butterick and it wasn't difficult.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 16:56:42 PM »
I have coat envy. It's seldom cold enough to need more than a sweater. Even rain coats are rarely used. Yet for some unknown reason I have amassed a lovely collection of coat patterns.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 17:34:42 PM »
Love that style of coat.
Still learning

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 20:28:32 PM »
Just noticed - no digital version of this pattern.  :'(

Esme866

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 04:53:21 AM »
@Gernella I'm going to play devil's advocate on this one......and maybe save you a few bob in the process. (Is a "bob" a £? - hope I got that right)

I agree the overall design of this coat ticks all the boxes of what makes a classic trench coat fabulous. The mockup on the model is even nicely executed.

However.......overall the design looks unbalanced/off-scale/awkward.  I wouldn't buy it until I saw it made up and modeled at least 2 or 3 times. The raglan sleeves look particularly binding - as if once you put the coat on over anything, it would not be comfortable.

If there was a great sale (we used to be able to buy McCalls patterns for $2) I would buy it- knowing that I would either redraft the coat body or Frankenpattern the wonderful details from this pattern onto another. But until I saw more - I'd pass.

I realize this goes against the grain of thoroughly supporting each others addictions :boohoo:........but you could buy fabric instead! :hug:

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 08:05:27 AM »
@Esme866 a 'bob' was an old shilling (pre 1971) a twelfth of a pound. Equivalent to 10p on decimalisation day. £1 is a 'quid'.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 08:09:20 AM »
@Lachica  You have forgotten, haven't you? 20 shillings to the pound, 12 pence to the shilling.  One shilling was =5p
Postage was 3d first class - just over 1p!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Lachica

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 08:13:13 AM »
Oops! Thanks @toileandtrouble , I got it wrong! D day in 1971 was my first day as a Saturday girl in a busy bakery, I was the only one who could correctly convert the prices - but I've obviously forgotten it all now!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Esme866

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 08:59:18 AM »
@Lachica Well now I don't feel quite as silly.  :rolleyes: I realized about an hour later that "quid" was the word I was trying to remember.

I spend waaaaay too much time watching UK crime dramas. I'm re-bingeing "Spooks" for the 2nd time right now. And since I pointed out how much I love the way Scots pronounce the word, "murder", ( just finished 4th and 5th season of Shetland), my parents make me repeat it anytime they hear it on screen. Somehow, when pronounced with a Scottish accent, the word sounds cute and fun.....

Like I said....waaaaay too many UK crime dramas. :S

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 09:46:03 AM »
@Gernella I'm going to play devil's advocate on this one......and maybe save you a few bob in the process. (Is a "bob" a £? - hope I got that right)

You are dead right about the sleeves @Esme866 I don't really like that kind to start off.  I've studied it a bit since and seen what I already have, the old Vogue one, which I have used once before but fell out with the fabric, too stiff, even after a couple of washes. So I think I'll stick.

From my memory a bob was a shilling and 10 shillings to the 10 bob note (50p now), and I suspect DH still has an odd one somewhere along with some half sovereigns.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Esme866

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2021, 10:12:09 AM »
@Gernella I'm with you on the not liking the raglan sleeve - except for overcoats. It's the only time I like them, but, they need to be roomy enough and a good quality raglan shoulder pad is a must, otherwise they always look too schleppy on me. When cut right, they allow enough room for multiple layers underneath, which is why I like them on a top coat.

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 10:15:13 AM »
Just to add my two penn'orth   ;) @Esme866
we do still say saving a few bob! There's also half a crown and a florin and guineas any one?  :laughing:

Haven't looked at this McCall pattern with the expert eye that some of you have but the Vogue Guy Laroche trench coat pattern released a couple of years back looks similar and it may well have some reviews by now so you can see whether it's a good 'un.

Ah well - in for a penny, in for a pound....