The Sewing Place

Baby blankets

b15erk

Baby blankets
« on: August 31, 2021, 11:00:50 AM »
Another of DD's in-laws is expecting, so it was a good excuse to do a bit of crocheting and knitting.

I've been dying to get the needles out again, but everything is all over the place since our re-furb.  So, I went online and found a lovely little blanket Here .

Initially I was put off because I hadn't enough yarn to make it, but I printed it off anyway.

I then picked up a crocheted blanket I'd started last year, (Spring into Summer corner to corner) and not pursued because I hadn't enough white yarn to finish.  Then I had a brainwave, I would cut it with some lovely yarn I came across.  This was a great idea, and I got nearly halfway before realising that the white would still not be enough.  As a last resort, I asked OH to have a look for me - it was from B&M and very pretty.  He managed to get some more  :thumbsup:, but it wasn't the same batch and it had gone up in price !  No matter, it looks fine, and I've been able to finish the main blanket - now for the wide border!

Plenty of time to think when you're crocheting, so I managed to work out the stitches for a smaller knitted blanket, and it looks as if I'll now have enough to make a newborn blanket.  :thumbsup:  The yarn btw, is beautiful.  I remember getting it from a charity shop before the madness started, cost me a pound I think.  It's a Wendy Cotton "YoYo" , with a little nylon and lycra, and is a dream to knit with, and looks beautiful knitted up.

I've worked out the pattern as best I can, and fingers crossed I will have just enough to finish!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

annieeg

Re: Baby blankets
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 08:56:43 AM »
@b15erk
Hi Jessie, thanks for the very useful pattern links - just what I've been looking for to use up some wool I've got stacking up.

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 09:26:39 AM »
That’s a very pretty blanket, @b15erk , Jessie.

I have been knitting blankets for premature babies and am always on the lookout for patterns.  Thanks.  :hug:

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 12:37:17 PM »
I finished the Corner to Corner last night, so just the small knitted blanket to finish now.

I've really enjoyed doing both of these, and it's easing me back gently into the UFO knitting I have in several bags... :|

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 13:26:50 PM »
Lovely @b15erk . I’ve done a few of these  corner to corner blankets. I like your solid border :that’s a different border to the one I do. Is that single crochet all the way round ?

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 13:51:16 PM »
Thank you @Sheilago , I like it for these day to day blankets.  It's an American pattern, and uses HDC.

Rnd 1: with RS facing, work 3 hdc in each ch-3 (or around post of dc) and hdc in each dc around, completing 3hdc in each corner st or sp, join to first hdc

Rnd 2-6: hdc in hl (see Special Stitches) of each st around, completing 3hdc in center st of 3hdc at each corner, join to first hdc

Fasten off at end of Rnd 6.

The last two rows I like to be a little more solid, and use DC, instead of HDC.

Jessie

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 14:51:21 PM »
That's a lovely version of the corner-to-corner blanket. I like how you've used the colour with the white, it's very pretty.

Missie

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 09:55:59 AM »
I love the corner to corner blanket.   <3  I think the striping against the white is just lovely.

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 13:02:05 PM »
The second blanket is now finished - well, the knitting part of it is.  As you can see from the pics, it isn't reversible, so I'm thinking of lining it...

First it needs a wash, to freshen it up, and I can have a look for suitable fabric to line it with.

Now onto the socks!

Jessie

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 14:26:03 PM »
I really wouldn't worry about the back of it, it looks fine as it is.