The Sewing Place

Is There A New Nylon?

Esme866

Is There A New Nylon?
« on: August 31, 2021, 23:32:42 PM »
Hoping one of you may have run across this.

My nephew would like to dress well, but being exceptionally thin, most OTR clothing fits him like a sack. There is a fairly new company here in the U.S. called Untuckit, making and selling shirts for men designed to be untucked. Looking at the cut, I think DN could get a decent fit. Pricing ranges from $79 - $99 each, which is pricey compared to today's Chinese stuff, but taking inflation into account, it's what I'd have paid for any shirt in the mall back in the late 70's. AND it's made here.

My question: They have what they call their "Performance Line". It is 92% Nylon and 8% Elastane. This would be my personal version of hell on earth if I had to wear it - like being wrapped in cling film all day long. Unless - someone has done something new with the Nylon process. Does anyone know anything about this?

25 years ago, when 100% polyester microfiber was introduced, I loved it! It would breathe, not wrinkle, hold its color and not wear out. Of course all of that goes against today's standard of disposible clothing and I haven't seen poly microfiber offered in years- anywhere.

Has someone developed a nylon that does this?

The Untuckit company also offers cotton and linen, but I thought I'd find out what I could about the nylon before discussing with DN.

Thoughts?

Renegade Sewist

Re: Is There A New Nylon?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 00:51:50 AM »
I think this comes under the "everything old is new again" heading. The best I could find is that the two main types of nylon used today are nylon 6 and nylon 6 6. References to those went back at least 12 years. It gets all chemistry on me  after that and I dozed off.

Nylon shirts?  :faints: Might as well put me in a body bag now. I'm actually allergic to nylon.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 00:53:22 AM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Esme866

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 07:27:35 AM »
I actually took textile science classes at uni - but that was 40 years ago - and I'm going to assume some changes have occured.

I'm not allergic to nylon, but I was oh-so-happy when hosiery had spandex added - lasted longer and didn't itch. I bought a 98% cotton 2% spandex button front shirt a few years back and was miserable the entire one day that I wore it - so HOT - and I don't mean in the sexy way.

I can't imagine any human finding this fabric comfortable - unless something has changed. The 100% nylon shirts of the early 70's were bad enough. (Remember they had photographs printed on them for patterns) Add 8% elastane/spandex - pure torture....... :scream:

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 14:50:44 PM »
I'm willing to believe your fabric is breathable if it says so. 

A great deal of activewear technical fabric is nylon/spandex. Two of my favourites (Meryl and Supplex), both 80% nylon 20% spandex, are fabulous for exercise tops/bodies and leggings as they wick sweat away from the skin rapidly while staying cool and dry to the touch. What's more they feel far more like cotton than your idea of nylon.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.