The Sewing Place

Knitting Needle Cases for Circulars

b15erk

Knitting Needle Cases for Circulars
« on: September 01, 2021, 11:23:17 AM »
I was watching the last episode of Stitched in Sweden, when I came across a knitting case which I didn't know I wanted, but now I believe it will be very useful to me.

Those of you who use circulars, and particularly interchangeable circulars, may have the same problem of storage.  Not so much the needles, but the cords, which never seem to stay tidy.

So, when I saw this case, I wanted one.  Unfortunately, I think it may have been self drafted, as I can find no reference to a pattern.  So, if anyone has seen something similar, I would be very grateful...

Or maybe i can draft my own... :thinking:

Fingers crossed this picture works, as I took a screenshot.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ellabella

Re: Knitting Needle Cases for Circulars
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 11:35:54 AM »
I made one a few months ago, I'll see if I can remember where I found the pattern.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 13:39:56 PM »
I can’t find the one I used but is this any use
https://miss-minoes.blogspot.com/2017/07/sewing-project-for-knitters.html

Mine has really helped keep things tidy.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 14:15:42 PM »
Thank you so much @Ellabella !  I will have a look shortly - that looks perfect!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 15:38:30 PM »
That looks useful.  I bought my interchangeables as a set, in a plastic case with separate plastic cases in it for all the other bits.  The needles are just on a piece of card with elastic loops.  The plastic isn't  he most robust and will inevitably  start splitting with use. 
I must put a case on my list of things to make.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 16:08:01 PM »
 @Ploshkin , I think I must have got the same set as you - it's not the nicest case, and the pockets are only really useful for the set provided, any others don't fit well.

Jessie

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 18:51:08 PM »
That case actually looks better than the one I made but I would have to be very bored to make a new one.

It does help to have a place for those little metal tightening whotsits and the purple end stops.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 08:34:04 AM »
Yes, @Ellabella , they are a real pain to keep tidy, but near to the other knitting gubbins.

I don't have a problem with straight knitting needles, or crochet hooks, it's these interchangeable circulars with all the different length cords, and different needle tips etc

The other thing I find extremely annoying, is that some of my needle tips have no sizes printed on them.  I've had to buy a size gauge to check my needle sizes - and I'm not sure how accurate it is!

I do find though, that I prefer knitting with the circulars, and I can't remember when I last used ordinary needles.

Jessie

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 08:45:49 AM »
So far, Jessie, I've managed to keep my needles on the elasticated card that they came on with the sizes printed on it.  I've been thinking about a case with the sizes marked on it because, as you say, they're not on the needles and the bit of cardboard won't last.  I've also bought a couple of extra sizes that need a home.
I do love my circulars because the weight of the knitting is on my lap.  I had to do a bit of something a while back on long needles and found them very unwieldy.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 10:44:38 AM »
So far, I've done two versions of this case, and each one has lacked something, or has something which doesn't work well.

Version one - matches my ironing board, and is fine, but needed more adding to it - Pockets, slots etc. On the whole a good start to base the second version on.

Version two - I used some upholstery fabric I had been given, and thought it would do fine.  Unfortunately, a) it was very much off grain b) it wasn't really firm enough, and stretched a bit.  This one though, has everything I need regarding storage, but I made 2 fatal errors.  The first one was using a magnetic snap.  Not only did I manage to get the position wrong, making it look stangely lop sided, but, the foam I used to pad it, is too springy.

So, version three may be on the cards today.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 10:46:04 AM »
Final picture

Jessie

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 11:50:47 AM »
I like your layout with the 2 pockets Jessie.  With the big, front flap it probably doesnt need a fastener or you could have a fabric strip across to tuck the flap under.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 15:27:37 PM »
You’ll have a choice and can ring the changes  maybe?   

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2021, 20:09:30 PM »
I cut out a new knitting case last night, but when I went to start it this morning, I realised that there really wasn't much wrong with the second one!

So, I made a long strap, attached it where the wallet folds over, added a few snaps, and all is well.

I have filled it with all my knitting tranklaments, and it is really useful.  I can see my needles and cords at a glance, my rulers and holding pins are in front of me, and my spare cords etc, are in the little wallets.  Job done!

I will make the other one as I know this really isn't exactly as I want it, but it will be far better than rooting around the bottom of the knittling bag!  :dance:

Jessie
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 20:11:01 PM by b15erk »

Ellabella

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2021, 20:31:19 PM »
Result Jessie!  It looks so good and much more functional than mine I may have to have a play and make a new one, my existing one could be repurposed as a holder for crochet hooks.

Life is so much easier when all those fiddly bits have a proper home.