The Sewing Place

Fitting and ease

Ohsewsimple

Re: Fitting and ease
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 20:22:56 PM »
Jessie this video might be useful.
http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/30351/video-how-to-make-a-personal-croquis

It,s a bit involved but basically get someone to take photos of in your underwear.  You might want a front, back and side view.  Print out the photo and then trace over it in pen.  I use a Sharpie.   You can then use this to trace over in pencil every time you want to make something.  You can draw style lines in to give you some idea of what they will look like on your shape and size. 
Somewhere I have seen a video by Louise Cutting where she uses miniature patterns to check this sort of thing.  She actually photocopies the line drawings from the back of pattern envelopes.  I can't find the video at the mo.  But I think if you enlarge these to fit your personal croquis you would have an even better idea.  It has definitely worked for me making my own patterns.  I have had a few ideas and when I have drawn them over the croquis I have realised the design lines don't work for me BEFORE I have wasted time drawing it all out and making a toile. 

DaisyChain

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 09:20:23 AM »
Jessie, it can be so disheartening when you spend hours faffing about & nothing quite works out.

You mentioned that it may be down to your choice of pattern. A good way to decide which styles work for your shape and how much wearing & design ease feels right on your body is to go clothes ‘shopping’ with a tape measure. Try on multiple sizes and measure the parts of the garment that you feel fit ‘just right’.  If your proportions don’t correspond closely to a conventional block then perhaps it would be useful to draw the design on your croquis to see if you like the altered silhouette.

Hope this helps.   8)

b15erk

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 09:38:07 AM »
Girls, I am so grateful! Your replies and suggestions have given me food for thought, and have really encouraged me to try a few different things.

I do need to establish my body shape, and the croquis a great idea, and easily done.  Trying on to see what does it for me is also something I could try.  This would have told me that the pattern I chose is not what I should be wearing!

I also think that I didn't pay enough attention here to sizing and ease issues, my thinking went, 'well, if it's meant to be loose, I might as well do the largest size', the result was I look like a ship in full sail!

So, I will be going through all the fitting suggestions here, and tightening upon my fitting work, and not relying on on my memory for size information.

The offending garments are below.  I will still wear both, but I will also make another version of the cream, in a smaller size, and only lined at the front.  The second will be good for in the garden.....  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 14:21:31 PM »
So glad we could help.  Can't have you getting all despondent over sizing.  Jeez, it,s a wonder I haven't topped myself yet thinking about that.   :(
Looking at the two piccies I would expect there to be loads of ease in these anyway.  Softer drapey fabric would look less so than a cotton type.  Fabric type is crucial as I know you know.  :)