The Sewing Place

Leathery goodness

Bodgeitandscarper

Leathery goodness
« on: September 03, 2021, 09:50:42 AM »
Oooh, postiepants has brought me a lovely parcel of leathery goodness - all this (19 pieces) for £20 including postage.

I just need to decide what to make now, but in the meantime I'll just keep sniffing them   :laughing:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 09:53:56 AM by Bodgeitandscarper »

CraftyIrish

Re: Leathery goodness
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 10:19:45 AM »
the smell of real leather gives me a headace.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 12:23:49 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper Ooooooooh lovely  :loveit:
Years ago DH discovered they sell leather smell in spray cans, apparently to make leather shops smell more inviting, I never quite got around to buy it, but was definitely tempted.
I LOVE the smell of leather  :D And the look and feel of leather  :laughing: I could never make it as a vegetarian  :o
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Mr Twingo

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 17:37:44 PM »
Chrome- or veg-tanned?

I prefer hand stitching leather, so will usually choose veg-tanned.

Esme866

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 18:02:07 PM »
 I love leather and its smell!!!

Of course I also love the smell of a diesel engine on a drizzly rainy day....weird, I know.

One of these days, I'm going to make something with leather. I've had half a hide of a denim blue for quite some time, just haven't made that purse yet.

The most I've done with leather is purchase suede to re-insole my shoes. My feet are "anti- vinyl". I'm always so pleased with myself when my feet feel that new suede lining. :meditation:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 18:59:59 PM »
Chrome- or veg-tanned?

I prefer hand stitching leather, so will usually choose veg-tanned.
Eh?  Ya what?  No idea!  But it was cheap  :thumbsup:

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 20:30:08 PM »
Ooh, that's a good price! Where did you buy it?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 21:11:04 PM »
Lovely haul @Bodgeitandscarper . That reminds me I bought a nice piece of leather in June. Now where did I put it?
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 21:40:20 PM »
Ooh, that's a good price! Where did you buy it?

@Lachica It was off a facebook group - ah, found it, a snappy little name - Man Made U.K. Machine Embroidery Crafts Sewing Support Sales.

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 21:48:37 PM »
Snappy indeed! Off to take a look....
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2021, 23:08:09 PM »
Eh?  Ya what?  No idea!  But it was cheap  :thumbsup:

Slightly stretchy? Most likely chrome tanned. That's the type of leather used for clothing and car seats.

I think you and your embroidery machine could make a very attractive patchwork purse using any scraps.
 :thumbsup:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 23:21:44 PM »
Slightly stretchy? Most likely chrome tanned. That's the type of leather used for clothing and car seats.

I think you and your embroidery machine could make a very attractive patchwork purse using any scraps.
 :thumbsup:

@Mr Twingo I thought it looked like upholstery leather as well. It looks pretty supple, not too thick, usable on a sewing machine. Then I saw the little embroidered bag and was certain. Besides, it looks an awful lot like all the upholstery leather scrap I bought last fall.  :laughing:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2021, 10:00:43 AM »
It does have a bit of stretch one way, and it's not very thick, nice and soft so easily done on the embroidery machine.  For £20, I didn't need to know any more  :laughing:

Bill

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2021, 10:20:58 AM »
How big are the pieces @Bodgeitandscarper?

I buy similar looking scraps from Amazon. It comes in various colours in different weight bundles (my last was 2kg) and looks like they were offcuts from a couch/settee company. Quite 'fluffy' on the back and some bits are plain useless, too small or messed up from tooling.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2021, 10:42:01 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper , your leather colours are lovely, and I'm sure you will make beautiful things from them.

I have loads and loads of leather which was given to me, when two friends retired.  They had a Wedding Car hire service, and built all their own cars.  The interiors were all cream leather, and beautifully stitched by their own upholsterer.

Love the smell, but no idea at all what to make from it.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.